Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Brian168 is offline Rookie

Ever arrest anybody you knew?

Just wondered if you any cops on here ever had to arrest someone they knew? Just wondering if you did things any differently than normal?

Usually people think of good guys and bad guys but sometimes people's paths can cross in strange ways.

The reason I ask is that a few years ago when I was getting into bother I ended up in jail for a month and it ended up that a mate of mine's Dad was an officer there. I was a bit all over the place when I went in and he treated me decently and I didn't think I was just another piece of crap. It was strange being locked up but having someone I knew a bit there but he sort of kept an eye on me. When I got out afterwards we met up and the last time I was home met up with him gain and we had some beers.

He's out of the job now but I think he made me see sense and was one of the people who convinced me that I could do better.

Back then I thought cops were asshole but looking back now I can see that they are only doing their jobs!

Claude Baulz is offline Officer First Class
    I never arrested anyone I knew, but I did give a ticket to an old college professor (he didn't remember me). I recognized him immediately when I stopped him.

I didn't like his class anyway, so I figured, what the hell, and wrote him.
    Never have so many owed so much to so few.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Odd first post, Brian. Normally we do an introduction first. In any case, the answer...no. Of course, I live 750 miles from where I grew up, so it is kind of funny when I pop someone and they try to get on my god side with a bad line. "didn't I go to school with you?" No. "Maybe it was your sister." No.

P.S.- you from the Ireland or Australia?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I had to arrest my wife's uncle for Domestic one night. I did handle it a bit differently, but not much different as I would for anyone else in his shoes.

His 17 year old daughter was being an ass and tried to get out of his car and run to some of her dirtbag friends who were in the parking lot where they were. He reached out and grabbed her by the shirt keeping her in the car. He was on the phone with his wife at the time, she wanted to talk to the girl. She gets on the phone cussing her mom out and screaming at her. Dad whacks her in the back of the head and tells her not to talk to mom like that.

Long story short, dirtbag friends call us claiming he's beating her, we get there and she cries all the right things and has all the right marks. Due to our lovely Domestic Violence mandatory arrest law he goes to jail. I took him up, but let him ride up front and handed him the cuffs to put on as we pulled in the sallyport. Stuck around while they handled his booking and I gave him a ride back to my wife's grandma's to stay. Charges did end up being tossed by the Prosecutor after review.

Felt bad for him because it was one of those deals where it was clearly parental action and no case of abuse, but with all the marks and witness statements he had to go until the Prosecutor could review and drop charges. Definitely gave us some interesting conversation at Thanksgiving.

I would have been as sympathetic and decent, but anyone else wouldn't have gotten the front seat, no cuffs until sallyport, or return ride.
    Last edited by Pudge; 07-06-07 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Clarify
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Brian168 is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Odd first post, Brian. Normally we do an introduction first. In any case, the answer...no. Of course, I live 750 miles from where I grew up, so it is kind of funny when I pop someone and they try to get on my god side with a bad line. "didn't I go to school with you?" No. "Maybe it was your sister." No.

P.S.- you from the Ireland or Australia?
    I'm in Ireland now.

Sorry 'bout that. My brother is police in England (grew up there) and this happened to him last week. I knew the guy too and he was telling me about it. I looked at seeing if there was anyway I could join up a while gao but not with my past - for the moment anyway.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    I have never been in that situation.
    Thank gosh.
    welcome to the site
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Illiy is offline Corporal
    I was on a ride-along with one of the departments I am applying with and we pulled over my cousins sister-in-law who's brother is a deputy... it was interesting... he gave her a ticket and the whole time she was asking about my cousins baby (newborn) it was surreal... granted this was just a ticket situation and I was just a rider...

Welcome to the group...

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post
    my cousins sister-in-law who's brother is a deputy...
    Excuse me ma'am, could you provide a map or flow chart so we can follow that more easily?? lol j/k
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    my cousins sister-in-law who's brother is a deputy... it was interesting... he gave her a ticket and the whole time she was asking about my cousins baby (newborn)
    Dang, you sound like you are from down here somewhere with that!

I work in the town I grew up in. Yes, many times I've arrested people I knew, grew up with, etc..
    Most of them have taken it as nothing personal, just my job.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

bmf95b is offline PATROL DEPUTY
    Yes, many times.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My son. I know that sounds extreme but I felt it was necessary. He was trying to be big man on campus and bought some marijuana from a dealer at his school. He held tight to the story that he found it all the while the dealer in the next room was ratting him out and loving it. I gave him plenty of chances to come clean but he just stood smiling and wouldn't give it up. Of course everybody was waiting and expecting me to not to do my job because it was my son. Negative. I handcuffed him, mirandized him and put him in my unit. Hardest thing I ever did to this day.
    That was all good until I went to the next room and arrested the dealer. Everybody was pissed then. Gee arresting a drug dealer on school campus. That couldn't possibly be standard procedure.
    Anyway, I just can't see doing something to you I wouldn't do to one of my own. He learned his lesson and has gone on to a career in the military. I'm very proud of him, and we have great respect for each other.
    I haven't been accused of showing favoritism since then.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I personally have never arrested anybody I know but guys I work with have. Infact, the other night it happened. I just try to avoid them so they don't try and ask me for favors...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    cousins sister-in-law who's brother is a deputy
    So who's the baby daddy?

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    My son. I know that sounds extreme but I felt it was necessary. He was trying to be big man on campus and bought some marijuana from a dealer at his school. He held tight to the story that he found it all the while the dealer in the next room was ratting him out and loving it. I gave him plenty of chances to come clean but he just stood smiling and wouldn't give it up. Of course everybody was waiting and expecting me to not to do my job because it was my son. Negative. I handcuffed him, mirandized him and put him in my unit. Hardest thing I ever did to this day.
    That was all good until I went to the next room and arrested the dealer. Everybody was pissed then. Gee arresting a drug dealer on school campus. That couldn't possibly be standard procedure.
    Anyway, I just can't see doing something to you I wouldn't do to one of my own. He learned his lesson and has gone on to a career in the military. I'm very proud of him, and we have great respect for each other.
    That's a great story, lewis. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must have been to arrest him. I'm glad that he learned from his experience and went on to become someone who has given you such pride.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    I work as a School Resource Officer and I had to arrest one of the coaches from the school on a domestic violence charge and he lived right in front of the school.
    He was cool about it and I handled it the same way I would anyone. He goes out of his way to speak to me now but his wife was a bitch that day and continues to be a bitch.
    I work where I grew up and have arrested several people I know. We had a murder last year and the suspect was a guy I graduated high school with. I ended up talking to him on his cell phone and helped get him to turn his self in.
    Never had any hard feelings. Some people quit talking to you but I have found that your "real" friends understand
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Thats awesome..........because I would have snapped and beat his ass and probably lost my job. Much respect
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    This is looking like a troll thread.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    That's pretty hardcore but when it comes down to it, you had a job to do and you did it. It must have been tough...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Right after I retired from the Army I joined the cops. Sounds strange, eh? Well anyho, right after I started on my own (a week later - did that in the old days, learned on the job), I stopped my old Company Commander. "Evening sir, my I please see your drivers license? You were speedng 55 in a 35 zone." Wrote the ticket and handed it to him "have a good day, I says." He said, you know me, how about a break? I says, I gave you a break, I retired.

hybrid is offline Corporal
    I work in the area I grew up in and I worked in the parish jail for almost 3 years, so i know most of the people that I deal with. I had to arrest a friend I had since childhood the other day. he was causing a disturbance and was highly messed up on pills. the people around were saying he had some pills in his shoe he just put there. i checked him and he had 2 xanax pills. I had to do my job. he pleaded and cried how we grew up together and played ball and all, but i would have definetely lost my job on that one. way too many people around, but then again even if they weren't, i still would have taken him in........he needs help. I stop people all the time that I know. I usually don't write them depending on what they did. if it was bad enough, i write them. I wrote my aun'ts boyfriend twice in two days. one day while working criminal patrol with a camera and mic (regular cars don't have them), doing 87 in a 60, had to write him there. and the next day for running a stop sign and almost causing a big wreck, very stupid thing, just coincidence I was there. he wasn't too happy. just a few stories, hope i wasn't too long

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information