Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Car Shopping

Michelle is offline Civilian

Question Car Shopping

I'm going to trade a couple of cars I have now in on one car.
    Seeing that I will be moving to Colorado soon, I am trying to figure out what would be the best to get. Crown Vics, Nox, Subaru, Jag, Freestyle, Five Hundred, Vet....?

What would you recommend?

CHARTOTO is offline Officer First Class
    Colorado = snow.... 4-wheel drive truck IMO

Illiy is offline Corporal
    I was going to move there and Subaru's were highly reccomended.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    What are your capacity needs? Commute needs? Lifestyle choices?

I often suggest people stay with two vehicles - something economical for 90% of their driving and a sound used 4x4 pickup for those other times.

bmf95b is offline PATROL DEPUTY
    Dodge stratus is not too bad. Bought a 2006 last year and it's turned out to be a good vehicle.

About the only driving I will be doing at first will be for shopping about 3 times a week. Also a short 20 minute commute to the airport about twice a week.

I will need something that has good visibility - the less blind spots the better. A car that my son can learn to drive in and not feel like he is driving or looking like he is driving "Mom's" car

Something that is good in rain. I plan on not driving in the snow. (If that is possible in Colorado).

I currently have an 06 Grand Prix that I will be trading in. I'm just not happy with the blind spots and can only imagine it will be worse if I hit a rain storm. Plus the gas mileage is terrible. 17MPG.

Also have a 97 Firebird that is going in on the trade too. Just to sporty for Colorado let alone not a car I want my son learning to drive in.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Too sporty for Colorado? They drive 125mph there - faster when it isn't snowing!

Do you have brand preferences? Domestic/import an issue? Avoiding snow is pretty tough anywhere in the midwest, so that along with the rain would have me suggesting something all-wheel-drive. Subis are are the gold standard there, though they aren't the only option anymore.

Good grief! 125!? Sounds like I better sign up for some Colorado driving courses.

Domestics automatics are preferred. I feel safer in an automatic and if my husband came home and saw I bought an Import, he'd probably leave me.

I've also been getting mixed reviews about FWD verses RWD. Some say that FWD are not good cars in the snow, others say it's fine that it just depends on the driver. Also been told that AWD are just as good as FWD when it comes to snow driving.

I would like to find a car that has the capabilities of a 4X4 yet felt like I was driving and riding in a Cadillac.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    FWD vs RWD in snow - no comparison. FWD wins. I like driving a RWD for pure enjoyment better, but the snow driving argument is settled.

The import part is a problem though since the nicest AWDs are imports. I was going to suggest a Saab or even a sporty Volvo. I don't know of a domestic AWD which has anything like a Cadillac feel.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Volvo do a very nice 4x4 and also a very nice AWD Estate car (I think you foreigners call it a station wagon? )
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Bottom line, if you want a nice AWD CAR, you are going to have to go to an import. I would make a vote for the Subaru. Just about anything they make will shine in the weather here, but my vote would be for an Impreza (your son would LOVE the turbo'd WRX ), or a Forrester.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

CHARTOTO is offline Officer First Class
    +1 too Michelle,

Here is a website that explains the differece between 4wheel drive/all wheel drive and some other cool stuff. My son has a front wheel drive car and we were just talking awhile back about the difference.

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/diff4WD_AWD.html

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post

I would like to find a car that has the capabilities of a 4X4 yet felt like I was driving and riding in a Cadillac.
    How about the Cadillac Escalade? Seems like exactly what you're asking for!

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/...o=goo_escalade

Yes, we call them station wagons or wagons out here. Or maybe a crossover.
    I just checked out Volvo's site and I really like the Volvo XC90. I'll probably do some research on what type of price I can get on one.

The Volvo turbo is cute and kinda looks like a little Honda. My son will never drive one even if I gave it to him. He'd really like to drive one of those Colorado State Patrol cars.

Cadillac Escalade would be great!
    Though, I should have mentioned that I don't want to spend over 18,000.

Thanks to all on the ideas. Gives me something more to work with. Hec, maybe I should look into getting a job at a Colorado dealership and try them all out.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Not to sound harsh but if you don't want to spend over 18,000 even with trade in's then your not going to get a Volvo, Subaru or Cadillac for that price sorry just not gonna happen. Last time I seen. The Subaru Impreza was going for no less than 28,000 brand new. Just a heads up.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    With a budget of 18K, you will be hardpressed. With a trade, however, you could still swing a used good condition WRX for about 21-23K.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    The WRX is a wicked ride, and very good in the snow. Its also very good on the beach...LOL
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    i have an '06 subaru legacy sedan 2.5i limited automatic AWD with sport shift that i paid $20,000 for (sticker said $25,000, but i haggle) brand new last august. the impreza started around $17,000 base, and the forresters were about the same price as my legacy.

now, as you step up to the super charged/turbo models then you start seeing the $28,000-$40,000 range depending on the model. my subaru is nice, its fast, AWD, gets 30 miles to the gallon, is 5 star safety crash rated all the way around, looks great, and handles like a race car. id reccommend it to anyone.

my buddy has a subaru impreza wrx sti that he paid $40k for, and that thing is beautiful, but very pricey
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The FWD is much better than RWD in the snow. I own a FWD car and put good snow tires on for the winter. I've had only one problem getting to work in a bad snowstorm. I had to sleep at the precinct one night, mostly because it snowed so much there was nowhere for me to park if I had driven home. Meanwhile the Crown Vics at work (RWD) had chains installed on the wheels and were still sliding across the road in the snow!

AWD will give you better traction and you can drive easier in the snow or rough terrain. AWD will NOT help you stop quicker in the snow.

For AWD cars there are not a lot of new cars in your price range at $18,000. The Subaru Imprezas starts at about that price. You should be able to haggle the dealer down to your price for a loaded Imprezza. A little more for an Outback or Forrester.

The stock WRX is about $24k, the limited edition WRX (loaded and automatic trans) will be over $30k. You can find a used WRX or Saab 92x in your price range too.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Thread Information