Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Two Choices

cidp24a is offline Master Officer
    Premium Lifetime Member

Two Choices

Two Choices:

What would you do?....you make the choice. Don't look for a punch line, there isn't one. Read it anyway. My question is: Would you have made the same choice?

At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning-disabled children, the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated staff, he offered a question: "When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other children do. He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is the natural order of things in my son?"

The audience was stilled by the query.

The father continued. "I believe that when a child like Shay, physically and me ntally handicapped comes into the world, an opportunity to realize true human nature presents itself, and it comes in the way other people treat that child."

Then he told the following story:

Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were playing baseball. Shay asked, "Do you think they'll let me play?" Shay's father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their team, but the father also understood that if his son were allowed to play, it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.

Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked (not expecting much) if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and said, "We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth inning."

Shay struggled over to the team's bench and, with a br oad smile, put on a team shirt. His Father watched with a small tear in his eye and warmth in his heart. The boys saw the father's joy at his son being accepted. In the bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still behind by three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and played in the right field. Even though no hits came his way, he was obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands. In the bottom of the ninth inning, Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be next at bat.

At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat. Everyone knew that a hit was all but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly, much less connect with the ball.

However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing that the other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life, moved in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make contact. The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay. As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball right back to the pitcher.

The game would now be over. The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been out and that would have been the end of the game.

Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first base man's head, out of reach of all t eam mates. Everyone from the stands and both teams started yelling, "Shay , run to first! Run to first!" Never in his life had Shay ever run that far, but he made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline, wide-eyed and startled.

Everyone yelled, "Run to second, run to second!" Catching his breath, Shay awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make it to the base. By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had the ball ... the smallest guy on their team who now had his first chance to be the hero for his team. He could have thrown the ball to the second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitchers intentions so he, too, intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-base man's head. Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him circled the bases toward home.

All were screaming, "Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay"

Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him by turning him in the direction of third base, and shouted, "Run to third! Shay, run to third!"

As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators, were on their feet screaming, "Shay, run home! Run home!" Shay ran to home, stepped on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit the grand slam and won the game for his team.

"That day", said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face, "the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity into this world".

Shay didn't make it to another summer. He died that winter, having never forgotten being the hero and making his father so happy, and coming home and seeing his Mother tearfully embrace her little hero of the day!

AND NOW A LITTLE FOOTNOTE TO THIS STORY: We all send thousands of jokes through the e-mail without a second thought, but when it comes to sending messages about life choices, people hesitate. The crude, vulgar, and often obscene pass freely through cyber space, but public discussion about decency is too often suppressed in our schools and workplaces.

If you're thinking about forwarding this message, chances are that you're probably sorting out the people in your address book who aren't the "appropriate" ones to receive this type of message. Well, the person who sent you this believes that we all can make a difference. We all have thousands of opportunities every single day to help realize the "natural order of things." So many seemingly trivial interactions between two people present us with a choice: Do we pass along a little spark of love and humanity or do we pass up those opportunities and leave the world a little bit colder in the process?

A wise man once said every society is judged by how it treats it's least fortunate amongst them.

You now have two choices:
    1. Delete
    2. Forward

May your day, be a Shay Day.
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History"

"All history becomes subjective; in other words there is properly no history, only biography."

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If it were only that way in real life on more than a few scattered occasions. Emphasis is placed heavily on sucess and winning on an individual level instead of an effort of support for team and community.
    I have tried as a father to educate my children to put others first and if a sacrifice is necessary let it be theirs.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Roses is offline Member
    That was a wonderful gift for him! I hope it's true!
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

Ianl6 is offline Dreamboy First Class
    What a sad but touching story it brought a lump to my throat and i truly wish that everyones answer would be yes to forward the message on.
    Public conscience message board
    post on a board with a heart.

http://dreamboyuk52.proboards60.com/index.cgi

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Very interesting, yet Very sad!

to bad the world isnt like that anymore. Ive seen good kids, i mean real good kids try out for baseball around here, but if they dont have the last name, they aint playing.

i think its total bullshit, that this is the way sports run.
    i coached my step-sons baseball team for 2 years. i always ended up with the "unpopular" kids. ya know what, the first year we took second, and the second year we took 3rd place in the division.
    so fuck all the assholes who play like that. every child, perfectly capable or mentally handicapped need a chance at life, rather it be to play baseball, football, or what ever it is they want to do.
    I really hope this story was true, good for the youngins that helped make this young mans dream come true, and make a man a very proud father!

ok, sorry for the rant, i feel better now!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    When I hear about schools not keeping score at games, I get frustrated. When they do keep score, the losing team gets celebrated more than the winners these days. We're a mixed up society that way. Let kids compete, let them learn through both winning and losing!

Who's with me?! *cheers from the crowd* Beyond that, teach them humility and compassion too. That baseball game was the most important thing in those boys life at that moment *nods from everyone who was one a young boy* and giving Shay a chance to play was a sacrifice for them. Thank you to the parents of those boys - they're on their way to becoming men. Thank you boys. And thank you Shay, for helping them on their journey. That was part of your perfection.

I too hope its a real story, but even if it isn't its a good one.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Roses View Post
    That was a wonderful gift for him! I hope it's true!
    Snopes says "undetermined". But apparently we've gone from "Shaya" to "Shay".

The snopes article is a good read as well.

I didn't find the story as warm and fuzzy at it was intended. Flubbing a play so the disabled kid could win is more insulting than treating him like a peer, IMO.

As for perfection, I think Master Kahn said it best:

In this imperfect world in which we live, perfection is an illusion. And so the standards by which we seek to measure it are also, themselves, illusions. If perfection is measured by age, grace, color of skin, color of hair, physical or mental prowess, then we are all lacking. And it is well to remember that the harshest judgments are reserved for ourselves.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    I'd delete it. I can't stand 'chain letter' type e-mails. Especially made up sentimental ones.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Roses is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Snopes says "undetermined". But apparently we've gone from "Shaya" to "Shay".

The snopes article is a good read as well.

I didn't find the story as warm and fuzzy at it was intended. Flubbing a play so the disabled kid could win is more insulting than treating him like a peer, IMO.

As for perfection, I think Master Kahn said it best:

In this imperfect world in which we live, perfection is an illusion. And so the standards by which we seek to measure it are also, themselves, illusions. If perfection is measured by age, grace, color of skin, color of hair, physical or mental prowess, then we are all lacking. And it is well to remember that the harshest judgments are reserved for ourselves.
    I understand what you are saying but I viewed it from a different perpective. I had the mindset of a terminally ill child making his last wish come true. People go over and beyond to make another person happy. The pitcher saw the tears swelling up in his dad's eyes as he watched his son play a game that he never had a chance to play. A once in a life time opportunity, for the father to see his son play and for the boy who never had a chance to grow into a man.

If the kid thought about it I'm sure he realized the other team helped him with his dream. I'm sure the dad realized it too. What would have really helped him to feel excepted was to be invited to be a member of the team but maybe he wasn't able too. According to the article on snopes, the boy was not very athletic. I don't know what type of illness or handicap he had.

However, the story brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for looking it up on snopes. I found the snopes article an interesting read.

A bit off topic now.

When I was working at the nursing home I thought about the movie "The Green Mile" and the nursing home was the last mile for a majority of the residents. To me that meant trying to make them happy. I sometimes went over and beyond to help them. But many times my workload wouldn't allow it. I would go shopping for them on my own time and buy them something they wanted. With their money of course. A couple of times I spent my own money. I would stop and chat with them and let them sit in my office and talk with me. I didn't work on the floor I worked in the office. Many times they just wanted someone to talk with them. I would smile at them as I walked past. Sometimes stop and talk with them. To me this was their last mile and I could be someone to add a bit of happiness in their life. Every now an then I would ask a co-worker or an aide if they saw the movie "The Green Mile" and I would go on to say that is what it is for these residents. Their last mile on earth. I tried too make their last mile a happy one when I could. Nothing wrong with adding a little cheer into someone else's life. Even the grumpy, grouchy ones.

This article reminded me that sometimes we need to try and make others as happy or as comfortable as we can especially when they don't have that much longer to live. Their last mile. The home stretch.

I was going to gone on and comment about the snopes article but since it is an email chain letter I won't. I had wrote a very long reply and decided not to post it.
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon

Talking I am going to go to hell

I am sorry but I can't help myself
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I think I posted this story too....and what I like about the story, is the notion that there are natural heroes in life.

What I see happening in the schools, is there are bullies, and victims...but no longer the heroes/leaders that once interceded.

They once provided a balance to child/tribe dynamics.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Thread Information