Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sirius or XM?

drunkhunter is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Sirius or XM?

I just bought a new ride, and I am shopping for satellite radio. XM has a better college football package. Sirius has a better NFL package. I primarily want the news/talk and the blues and bluegrass channels. Both are pretty much equal in those areas. As I am at a college football game pretty much every weekend, I'm leaning towards Sirius.

I'm interested in feedback from users. There is a proposed merger in the works; so, it may not be an issue for too much longer, and a monopoly isn't a fear at this point as free radio provides enough competition.

mfranklin01 is offline its not vendication...its punishment
    i don't have one myself, but from what i understand there really isn't that much difference between the two. i guess you just have to look at the packages and decide which one you will get more use out of . this prob wasn't much help but i hear that sirius has better music channels.
    "Be Polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I think the music selection is better with Sirius. XM tends to play the same shit over and over.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    I like XM Better. Check E-bay for a Delphi Skyfi2 Look for one with the radio. You can take this reciver from car to car also plug it into a portable radio! LOVE IT

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca
    I like XM Better.
    Ditto. I have an XM, and love it.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    I have Sirius and I love it they seem to have a better selection of music but I hav noticed that what is normally the factor that sways people one way or the other is the sports.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    If I am correct I do believe that the two companies are merging with XM being the lead company.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    I had both and liked Sirius better. I have a friend who thinks XM is better, but he likes it for the sports package.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

TwanimusPrime is offline Moving on up...to the east side!
    XM all the way. I like the music stations, but I basically just listen to Opie & Anthony and Ron & Fez. Channel 202 is well worth the subscription price alone.

I have a Pioneer Inno in my car which is great. It works portable, and its an Mp3 player. Plus, if I hear a song on XM I like, I push one button and it'll record the song (even if the song is half way over, it records the whole thing) and I can play it like an mp3.

My vote is for XM. Big time.

TwanimusPrime is offline Moving on up...to the east side!
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001 View Post
    If I am correct I do believe that the two companies are merging with XM being the lead company.
    Thats the plan, but I really doubt it'll happen. When Satillte radio was first created, the FCC made a rule specifically saying the two companies COULD NOT merge. So they have to change THAT rule first and formost. Its possible, but there are TONS of hurdles.

I personally hope it doens't happen. Remeber how much better Pro Wrestling was back when there was WWF and WCW. The competition kept the content sharp. Then when WWF bought out WCW, it all went down hill. And how we have wrestlers strangling their familes. No merger for me thank you.

ipso608 is offline S W A M P M A F I A !
    Im with Conalabu on that one. go with sirius.

garda52 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I have XM & like it, but this is what I received in an e-mail. As a subscriber XM sends e-mails to update info on programming/special events/sports or other news. So it looks like personal preference based on the programming you prefer.

February 20, 2007

Dear XM Radio Subscriber: We want to share with you some exciting news: Yesterday, in Washington DC, we announced XM Radio will be merging with Sirius Satellite Radio to form the premier digital audio service. The merger will create a satellite radio company that will provide consumers across the country with more and better premium radio programming. The combined company will be able to compete better in what has become a very complex and dynamic entertainment market. Where today our exclusive contracts mean you had to choose between baseball and football or Oprah and Martha Stewart, the new company will seek to ensure that in the future, you will be able to access both companies' programming. And, once we are fully integrated, those of you who have factory-installed satellite radio will no longer be limited to the programming provided by the exclusive satellite radio service chosen by their car manufacturer. This merger should be completed in late 2007 or early in 2008. Throughout the year, we will provide updates on how the merger is progressing and information will be available at our website, www.xmradio.com. Between today and the merger date, as well as during the period immediately after the merger date, all of your services will remain the same. The channel lineup, the customer service number, the great music technology, and the XM Radio web site will all remain unchanged and there will be no disruption to service. But, if you have questions, information will be available and maintained on our website, and you can contact our Listener Care team at 800-XMRADIO, with questions and concerns. XM Radio continues to be committed to providing you the highest quality audio entertainment and customer service available today. After the merger, our new company will be able to offer you the most exciting listening experience in radio.

Sincerely,
    Hugh Panero CEO, XM Satellite Radio
    Remember: if their lips are moving ... they're lying

Verified LEO
    I'm leaning more and more towards Sirius. I'm probably going to go with one of the portable units that does the FM thing (and a cassette adapter for my other truck). This way, I can swap it between trucks and take it in my work vehicle. I know I'll give up some sound quality, but the portability will be worth it.

My wife is also interested in it. I'm halfway tempted to buy one in XM and one in Sirius.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I think you get a discount if you have more than one unit to subscribe, but I'm not sure.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I think you get a discount if you have more than one unit to subscribe, but I'm not sure.

Yes. The second unit subscription is roughly have, about $6.00 per month.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I have 2 XM units and am getting a 3rd. I like XM better. NFL would be nice, but I'd rather watch it than listen to it! Oh yeah and the merge is going to happen just don't know when.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkhunter View Post
    I'm leaning more and more towards Sirius. I'm probably going to go with one of the portable units that does the FM thing (and a cassette adapter for my other truck). This way, I can swap it between trucks and take it in my work vehicle. I know I'll give up some sound quality, but the portability will be worth it.

My wife is also interested in it. I'm halfway tempted to buy one in XM and one in Sirius.
    I love Sirius, I got it for Howard Stern. However, when I am not listening to Howard, the music stations are great.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I've got Sirius in my work car (ain't driving leased cars great!) and my new POV came with XM. It seems to me that XM has a lot more ads than Sirius. But I haven't listened to XM nearly as much...

Verified LEO
    Circuit City had a special on a Sirius unit. The special is the unit plus hard wire installation including FM modulator as well as mounting the radio cradle and antenna all for $99. At Best Buy the same radio kit was $54.99 (radio kit by itself at Circuit City was $49.99) with the same installation running from $75 to $100.

I wanted to have the new truck hardwired while still being able to move to my other truck and work vehicles. An additional vehicle kit on its own was $49.99, which is the same price as the radio kit; so, I bought a second radio. This gives me everything I need to move the radio to other vehicles I use. I didn't activate the second radio; so, it doesn't cost anything. This way I have a backup radio at no other cost should the unit I'm using get lost or stolen.

They couldn't install today; so, I'll take the truck by on Monday for that. The sales guy threw in a cassette adapter for use in my S10.

While I was in Circuit City, I talked to the girl at the Verizon booth. She activated a GPS feature on my phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information