Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Real Job

blackcamaro8895 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO

Real Job

Lately i got into an argument with someone who is close to me. I called him at work on his lunch break and he hung up on me. I asked him about it and he said its because i dont understand his job.He said it is very physically demanding and i wouldnt know because i dont have a real job and i never will have a real job, because being a LEO isnt a real job.(He is a mason, and also remodels houses(tearing them apart))

I went off on him. But it really doesnt help. I dont know what to do in this situation. One thing i will say is that i just cant pack up and get out of the situation. Its not that easy. I just dont know what to tell him to make him understand. Help.......

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    When a person decides to become a LEO, the people that knew them before will wonder where you went. The general public has and always view us a necessary evil. Evil being the operative word. Your "friend" sounds as if he is of a majority. The majority of people have no desire to be policed. They view us as people who ride around in air conditioned vehicles and harass people who haven't done anything. I garantee your friend would not think the same if he were being carjacked at the business end of a .357.
    My personal opinion is he may not be the friend you think he is.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcamaro8895 View Post
    Lately i got into an argument with someone who is close to me. I called him at work on his lunch break and he hung up on me. I asked him about it and he said its because i dont understand his job.He said it is very physically demanding and i wouldnt know because i dont have a real job and i never will have a real job, because being a LEO isnt a real job.(He is a mason, and also remodels houses(tearing them apart))

I went off on him. But it really doesnt help. I dont know what to do in this situation. One thing i will say is that i just cant pack up and get out of the situation. Its not that easy. I just dont know what to tell him to make him understand. Help.......
    First of all you're a student, not an LEO. Second not everyone likes cops so even when you are an LEO you'll get the attitude. My advice is to get your own place. Stop hanging out with idiot roommates, exboyfriends, etc. All you're doing is continuing to hang out and make contact with people you don't get along with - then come here to complain about harassing phone calls and ask us how to make people understand you. It's highschool/college drama. If you plan on becoming a LEO and don't want to get jammed up then avoid those people.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05 View Post
    First of all you're a student, not an LEO. Second not everyone likes cops so even when you are an LEO you'll get the attitude. My advice is to get your own place. Stop hanging out with idiot roommates, exboyfriends, etc. All you're doing is continuing to hang out and make contact with people you don't get along with - then come here to complain about harassing phone calls and ask us how to make people understand you. It's highschool/college drama. If you plan on becoming a LEO and don't want to get jammed up then avoid those people.
    I currently work at two police depts. And he Isnt an ex. Its not so easy to avoid when its your family. Im not complaining. Im just asking people who may have had the experience to give me their point of view.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    he said its because i dont understand his job. It is very physically demanding and i wouldnt know because i dont have a real job and i never will have a real job, because being a LEO isnt a real job.(He is a mason, and also remodels houses(tearing them apart))

ok...so the construction worker says being a police officer is not a real job...lol. well, he's partially right, it's not a "job", it's a career and a lifestyle. i worked my summer "jobs" in construction when i was in high school...
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    You could do what I did and bust someone in your family. My brother in-law had a warrant for his arrest for failing to appear on a DUI. He came to my house with knowing fully what my job is and figured that since he's family I'd let him slide. I called the local PD and had him picked up.

People hate cops and anyone that works near or with us. It comes with the job. I left a lot of friends and some family members lying in the road to do what I wanted to do with my life.

It's eaiser to move on and keep doing what you love then to make other people happy!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I currently work at two police depts. And he Isnt an ex. Its not so easy to avoid when its your family. Im not complaining. Im just asking people who may have had the experience to give me their point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcamaro8895
    Just to let everybody know i am a 19 year old girl who is in the OPOTA and hired part time at two different PD's who doesnt put up with other retarted 19 year old girls.
    Date of Birth:
    April 18, 88
    Biography:
    Hocking College OPOTA.
    Interests:
    Big into horses since 4.(show in contest speed classes)Muscle cars
    Student,Campus Safety Officer, OPOTA
    Automatic PM on Reputation Option:
    Enable Automatic PM on Reputation
    Uh yeah, so like I said... you're NOT a LEO. Your repeated posts that you can't get along with people, and complaints of telephone harassment shows that you have little grasp of the law and less common sense about who to hang out with. If you do work "part time" at a department you are certainly not a LEO. Perhaps you're a secretary or intern, but you are no LEO.

Frankly I don't like your attitude or the way you're trying to throw around whatever occupation it is that you have. It adds no additional value to your posts. Telling me that you're a public safety officer at the college or work "part time" at a local department is about as credible as me hawking myself as equal to a seasoned homicide detective because I have an arrest or two under my belt.

You asked for advice from people with more experience. Being a VERIFIED LEO and someone who has a little more life experience I gave you good advice. Avoid the idiots. I understand that you can pick your friends but you can't pick your family. However it doesn't matter if they're friends, ex's, family, etc. If you want to be a LEO and not jammed up - avoid them. Or if you merely want to avoid unnecessary drama - avoid them. There are friends and family members who I don't speak to anymore because they are merely trouble. The sooner you realize that and stop speaking to those types of people the better off you'll be, no matter what profession you plan to enter.

The other posters in this thread have said pretty much the same thing, except they were more patient with you. If you don't like the advice don't ask for it.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

hughb is offline Civilian

How did he put it across when he said being a LEO isn't a real job? Was it underhanded humor? Was he serious and condescending? I'm guessing that if he hung up on you during your phone call he was serious about his comment, but more than a slight against the law enforcement profession it was a slight against you personally. Think seriously about whether or not this person is really your friend. It may not be easy to pack up and get out of the situation, but how easy will it be to maintain a relationship with this person? I frankly don't think you can make him understand.

Verified LEO
    I know a few officers on here who also work part time. When you are my age, Its the steps you have to take to become an officer and get the job you want just like the other 19 cadets in the OPOTA with me. I didnt get on here to make everyone happy, I cant. I just figured since it was a forum, for law enforcement, someone would know where i was coming from and state what they think. im not going to attack you for what you replied to me. I just ask for a little respect, even though at my age not many (or any, for that matter) people take me seriously.

And as for my little grasp of the law, being in the academy for every Friday for almost a year while working on an assoc. doesnt make a person exactly proficient in the law. If you were absoluetly proficient in the law after being in a situation like mine for less than a year, i would be amazed. So please excuse me for asking.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I know a few officers on here who also work part time. When you are my age, Its the steps you have to take to become an officer and get the job you want just like the other 19 cadets in the OPOTA with me. I didnt get on here to make everyone happy, I cant. I just figured since it was a forum, for law enforcement, someone would know where i was coming from and state what they think. im not going to attack you for what you replied to me. I just ask for a little respect, even though at my age not many (or any, for that matter) people take me seriously.

I'm taking you seriously, it sucks to have to leave people behind but if this is the job you want then that is what you'll have to do. Even family! I don't talk to 1 sister her husband or my nephew because I'm the evil uncle that had daddy arrested. My mother and father blew their tops wen they found out what I did. I look at it this way would I let Joe Blow from the street go for this? No I wouldn't, so everyone get treated equally.

One of my sisters has decided to become a cop and just graduated from the academy. She too left a bunch of friends behind and our sister behind due to her wanting to be a cop. Just 3 days ago my brother 19 yr old brother called me and said that he too has decided to join up with the Sheriffs Dept in CA. He'll only be a CSO but he'll still be working LE. I told him about leaving people behind and he understands. It's something that we all must go through. Your friends list will get smaller and you won't have to buy as many X'mas gifts for family. But it's part of the job. If you think it's too much for you then you might want to look else where.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    You never explained why he hung up on you.

Were you taking him away from what little time he may have to enjoy his lunch?

It's kinda hard to referee an argument, when all you give us is one side of the story.

How about you just chill?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

ipso608 is offline S W A M P M A F I A !
    I lost a lot of "so-called" friends when I became a LEO. Its just something you have 2 be willing 2 sacrifice. You will know who your real, true friends are when u commit 2 law enforcement. To be honest with u, i've only been at Iberville S.O. for 1 year and the people I work with I would consider my best friends, even though ive only known most of them for a year. Its hard 2 explain, but its a different aspect.
    "People too weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage yours!"

" A Society That Wages A War Against Its' Police, Had Better Learn To Make Friends With Its' Criminals."

www.myspace.com/bufordhebert

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ok, let me get this straight...

Would the one you are talking about be this guy, Brian:

http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/...880#post205880

whom you refer to as your boyfriend (your man) in another post?:

http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/...021#post206021

My man is a mason, and also remodels houses.(tears them apart to be rebuilt)
    I like a man who comes home from work tired (exhausted) from working his ASS OFF and dirty as hell. Covered in dirt and flakes of paint or chunks of dried concrete stuck to him. Has a deep tan from the waist up from having his shirt off all day on a roof. Hands so rough theyre like sandpaper. And the muscles to show.
    and now is referred to as "family"?

Face it, no respect for you (and your career choices) now, means no respect for you (or your career choice) in the future. You are wanting sympathy and understanding from us, but sometimes hard reality is what you need. He's a prick, get over him.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Good job, great memory!
    "People too weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage yours!"

" A Society That Wages A War Against Its' Police, Had Better Learn To Make Friends With Its' Criminals."

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Face it, no respect for you (and your career choices) now, means no respect for you (or your career choice) in the future. You are wanting sympathy and understanding from us, but sometimes hard reality is what you need. He's a prick, get over him.
    +1

there is a small handfull of people that I called "friends" who I still associate with, just because they don't understand...

If he can't understand or think it's a joke, it doesn't matter of he's friend, family, boyfriend, fiance', baby-daddy, whatever... if LEO is what you want as a career, then something's gotta give... otherwise you're spending too much energy trying to balance, and you will wind up suffering... not just because you're getting flack from whomever this guy is, but also because you'll start buying into the crapline that "this isn't a real job"

I mean hell... check out ipso608's signature - "People too weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage yours!"

just my .02
    Last edited by Twan007; 07-13-07 at 05:38 AM. Reason: stupid quote box
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Oh the drama. Trust me Black, when you look at life, this is seriously nothing. Try burying two members of your family. Tell him to get f'ed and move on. If you are going to be an LEO, drama needs to be removed from your life and you have to make common sense choices from here on in.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Thats right, if what people think about u really gets 2 u that much, good luck in LE. Not telling u what 2 do, but I would move on

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Hey, Ipso608, I might have an old keyboard laying around if you need it. Yours seems to keep missing letters and putting numbers where words should be. Just shout if you need it.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Oh, and in answer to your question...

If he doesn't think this is a real job, he's more than welcome to hit the streets with one of us for a single weekend.

Ask him if swinging a hammer is more of a real job than doing CPR on an infant, or locking up the drunk who just ran over her.

Fukketh Himmeth.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    uh....yeah. You need to get way thicker skin to do this.

Wait till someone tells you they're going to murder your family, rape your kids, and burn your house down.

I'd say that's a lot meaner than making fun of a profession.

I'm only 22, quite young for this profession. I am friends with ONE person I was friends with in high school (4 1/2 years ago)

I grew up, quick.
    Most of them still haven't.

Get over it. And get over him, move on. You're going to have to cut out several current friends if you want to be a cop. You know how I know??

I had to.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information