Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JSelman is offline Banned

Angry I'd like to hear some opinions on this.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/m...nies_51807.php

(DEARBORN, Mich.) - Mixed messages abound in a story about a 28-year old Dearborn, Michigan police officer named Edward Sanchez, who called 911 and said he and his wife were dying, from a marijuana brownie overdose. It turns out the weed was stolen from criminal suspects, and that is when this sadly comical story just starts to get traction.

It all began just over a year ago, on April 21st, 2006, when Edward Sanchez placed a phone call to 911 call from his home. During the 5-minute tape of the call, obtained by the Free Press, Sanchez tells an emergency dispatcher that he is convinced that he and his wife were overdosing on marijuana.

The 911 call has been all over TV and the Internet in the past few days, and we have it posted below, courtesy of YouTube and ignorancedenied.com.

"I think we're dying," he said. "We made brownies and I think we're dead, I really do."

The call is not overly graphic in nature, but it is fairly incredible that an officer of the law would risk his career in such a way. Private information like the officer's address has been bleeped out.

Some regard the ultimate lack of prosecution or seeming accountability in the case, as a sad testimony to the life with "the privilege of a few in blue."

Others call it a story about a bad apple, which most organizations have at least one of, and the fact that he is a police officer is the only thing that makes it sensational and publicized. It does amount to the same treatment that a celebrity receives for simple offenses like drunk driving. Either way, the word on this one is out, and most people still seem to believe that police officers should be held to a higher standard.

For many, the 911 call is nothing less than a blatant testimony about the lack of education that exists between marijuana use, and its relationship to a person's health. Marijuana is something that countless millions of Americans use with some degree of regularity. But laws stemming back to the 1930's that are still in effect on a federal level, have made marijuana a silent subject that most users do not dare to ask questions about.

The thing is, you expect the story to go like this... "The officer was relieved of his position and charged with stealing criminal evidence and disorderly conduct. He was also faces a charge of possession of marijuana."

But instead, The AP reports that Sanchez managed to avoid criminal prosecution, even though he admitted taking the marijuana and, with his wife, baking it into brownies.

He told the dispatcher over the telephone that they used "A quarter ounce" of marijuana when they made the brownies and added that they ate them all.

His wife, 26-year old Stacy Sanchez, voluntarily told police investigators that on another occasion, she removed cocaine from her husband's police cruiser that was part of the department's drug dog training program. She then went on a reported three-week coke binge. Stacy Sanchez has not been charged criminally either.

The Dearborn Police department's choice to not pursue a case against former Cpl. Edward Sanchez led to an outcry from several notable people in Michigan, including Dearborn City Councilman Doug Thomas.

He told a reporter that he will investigate, citing the conflict between being a police officer who arrests people for drug offenses, and confiscating it to keep for yourself.

Wayne State University criminal law professor David A. Moran described Sanchez's behavior as problematic, and he applied the same assessment of the Police Department's decision not to charge him.

"It is not as unusual as it should be for the police to look the other way when an officer commits an infraction, but this is a lot worse than the average police officer speeding a little bit," Moran told The AP.

WDIV-TV Local 4 in Dearborn reports that Dearborn Police Cmdr. Jeff Geisinger left a phone message with them, relaying that Sanchez resigned during an internal investigation. Geisinger then failed to return subsequent calls to the TV station.

It is fair to say that many people who face similar circumstances in this country see a substantially different outcome, including arrest, court, prosecution, fines, jail and prison time. Then there is always probation, and private corporations offering counseling that a person is mandated to attend and pay for.

Sanchez resigned last year from the police department in this suburb of Detroit. He declined comment Wednesday to the Detroit Free Press. It is also reported that Police Cmdr. Jeff Geisinger failed to reply to additional calls seeking comment.

Sanchez offered two versions of how they came into contact with the marijuana; at one point he said that his wife took the marijuana out of his police vehicle while he was sleeping. In a subsequent interview, he admitted he got the marijuana out of the car himself and put it in the brownie mix, police said.

Hopefully in the future, Dearborn, Michigan Police will show the public that they are an organization with accountability. In spite of legal medical marijuana, there is an example that needs to be made and carried out by all of us, but particularly police officers, elected officials, public representatives and members of the clergy and education. You have to pass a drug screening exam by urinating in a bottle to get a job at Wal-Mart, but to this day members of Congress are exempt from any such scrutiny.

(Sorry but I don't know how to embed in this forum. This is the 911 call that he made.)
    http://www.youtube.com/v/TKVAQLnm_5Y

Why was this guy not charged with possession of Marijuana and thrown in jail? Looking the other way to a speeding cop on his way to the local doughnut shop is one thing; but turning a blind eye to a cop that takes Marijuana and Cocaine off the streets for his personal use is just ridiculous!
    I'd like to hear what you would have done in this situation. Does he deserve a break or should he be sitting in jail with a felony on his record?
    One more thing, he resigned from his position meaning that he could still go to a different county to replay the same situation. I see this as a major violation by him and everyone involved in letting him go free.

Welcome to Michigan. The state where nothing ever makes sense.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    While I doubt you will find many in disagreement with your opinion that the guy should be held accountable...

Why was this guy not charged with possession of Marijuana and thrown in jail? Looking the other way to a speeding cop on his way to the local doughnut shop is one thing...
    This comment speaks volumes of your personal attitude towards the police. You have come onto a cop's forum, posing a question whether we as police officers think an officer should be held accountable for his actions. I'll be perhaps the first to say that I do. However, let us say at the risk of crumbling the sensationalism involved in this story, that he wasn't a cop, but a private citizen.

Unless actual physical evidence of the offense was found by the responding or investigating officers -- i.e.: there were brownies left which contained THC when lab tested -- no case would have likely been brought against this person, either as a private citizen or a law enforcement officer.

There simply isn't enough information in your article, the call, or any of the accounts of this story. Possession of a narcotic, being residual in the bloodstream or tested for in a urine or hair sample is not routinely prosecuted as "possession" in any State that I am aware of. I would love it to be, because I personally think that a "war" on drugs is just that, and were this country's politicians actually serious about curtailing illicit drug use (like illegal aliens), we would dedicate ourselves wholly to rectifying the problem actively and aggressively.

I am certain that this man's law enforcement career is over. Any department where he applies in the future will certainly conduct a background investigation, and I am quite sure that this information is easily discovered.

If you (as you have earlier posted) wish to become a law enforcement officer, perhaps you should rid yourself of the "cops and doughnut shops" philosophy and join reality. You spout off something like that in an oral interview, and you'll be shown the door quickly. Had this been your first post here, I would have shown you the holding cell quickly myself.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JSelman View Post
    Some regard the ultimate lack of prosecution or seeming accountability in the case, as a sad testimony to the life with "the privilege of a few in blue."

Looking the other way to a speeding cop on his way to the local doughnut shop is one thing;
    First comment.
    If you only had a clue as to how many people where I live have gotten away with little or no accountability your first comment would have never made to this forum. No self respecting law enforcement officer would give a nod to a cop getting away with that type of shit!

Second comment.
    This is obviously your perception of law enforcement. And you want to be a cop? Screw your head on straight about this job before hand or you will find it a hard road to hold. I personally can't stand donuts. You're welcome to have it but I don't care for your attitude either.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    What they said.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Once again, an excellent post CB!
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    . However, let us say at the risk of crumbling the sensationalism involved in this story, that he wasn't a cop, but a private citizen.
    "(DEARBORN, Mich.) - Mixed messages abound in a story about a 28-year old Dearborn, Michigan police officer named Edward Sanchez, who called 911 and said he and his wife were dying, from a marijuana brownie overdose. It turns out the weed was stolen from criminal suspects, and that is when this sadly comical story just starts to get traction."

"Others call it a story about a bad apple, which most organizations have at least one of, and the fact that he is a police officer is the only thing that makes it sensational and publicized. It does amount to the same treatment that a celebrity receives for simple offenses like drunk driving. Either way, the word on this one is out, and most people still seem to believe that police officers should be held to a higher standard."

I don't believe officers should be held to higher standard, but at least the same as the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Unless actual physical evidence of the offense was found by the responding or investigating officers -- i.e.: there were brownies left which contained THC when lab tested -- no case would have likely been brought against this person, either as a private citizen or a law enforcement officer.
    I understand what you are saying but look at it like this: If someone is on probation, you drug test them. If they come up positive, you charge them with whatever drug they tested positive for. At the same time, if an officer of the law admits not only that he ate pot brownies and that he stole it from a suspect, you don't think he should get charged after testing positive? Do you understand what I'm saying? Or is that really the way the law works?

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator
    Terminator has disagreed with your post of yours

You may need to investigate the reason.
    English, do you speak it?

I honestly can't believe I got a thread full of shit and a negative rating by an asshole with a doughnut avatar...FOR MAKING A DOUGHNUT JOKE!

And of course lewisipso, I would never make a joke like that in an interview. Don't tell me no one on here makes doughnut jokes; even an admin does it.
    Damn, I didn't know cops were so fucking sensitive!
    You sure are making it seem that way!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JSelman View Post

I honestly can't believe I got a thread full of shit and a negative rating by an asshole with a doughnut avatar...FOR MAKING A DOUGHNUT JOKE!

Damn, I didn't know cops were so fucking sensitive!
    Here we go again!

By the way, humor is in the eyes of the receiver. When cops are the target you may want to review the joke. jmo
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

This thread was never meant to be made offensively. I read the story a while back and wanted to hear a cops opinion on the matter.
    Before submitting the thread I almost put up a disclaimer saying that I'm not trying to stir shit up.

And I don't even want to hear that "doughnut joke" crap. The owner of the site has doughnuts in his avatar!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Cops can make jokes about themselves and their profession, they've earned the right. You haven't. Get bent. And do it somewhere else.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock...

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by JSelman
    Do you you, I do?

I honestly can't believe I got a thread full of s h i t and a negative rating by an ####### with a doughnut avatar...FOR MAKING A DOUGHNUT JOKE!
    This A s s h o l e is the Site Owner. But I am somewhat surprised that you knew my last name was A s s h o l e. Good guess.

And of course lewisipso, I would never make a joke like that in an interview. Don't tell me no one on here makes doughnut jokes; even an admin does it.
    Some of us do, yes. BUT WE'RE COPS...YOU'RE NOT JACKASS! You haven't earned the right to make those jokes.

Damn, I didn't know cops were so f u c k i n g sensitive!
    No, we're not sensitive. We simply don't like your dumbass, so I'm going to ban you, Captain Loser Pants. Have fun trying to be a cop, you pathetic wanna-be. You'll never make it with your criminal record, and attitude. Hopefully you'll come through my jurisdiction someday so I can put you on the business end of my X26.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Another one bites the dust.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Job well done boss.

your like a shit magnet term.
    everyone is always messing with you, why?
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,Ē Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by k-9max View Post
    your like a #### magnet term.
    everyone is always messing with you, why?

Jealousy, Mike....straight up jealousy.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Bravo!! Bravo!! Bravo!!

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Good riddance!!! That dude was a knob.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Good riddance to bad rubbish.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    My opinion is this guy is a #######.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

mfranklin01 is offline its not vendication...its punishment
    crap i missed another one....guess i need to spend more time online
    "Be Polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information