Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo

Martial Arts.....

How many of you pursue martial arts training outside of what you are taught while going through the academy???

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What I was taught in the academy don't do sh!t for someone my size. So I decided to study the art of freak the hell out on someone and hit em with a car door.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Training in many academies is more about what not to do than what to do. Training beyond the academy is crucial, and could mean the difference between life and death on the street.

The answer is yes.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    I was just wondering, because I have been involved in martial arts for a long time, and have seen some officers get themselves in some very nasty situations that could have been avoided with the proper training...and well I was just curious how many out there get advanced self defense or offensive training..

As for me I got back into training around a year and half ago in a martial art called Tong il Lo.....so far I have found it to be the most practical art that I have ever seen or participated in...
    Here is a little more info about it... Tongillo.com

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I've been training in MMA for quite some time now and I'm a huge fan of professional fight leagues. MMA is a great way to not only stay in great shape but also learn how to defend yourself in times of need out there in the real world...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull
    MMA is great thing, but as most martial arts I would say that most people will remember 3 to 5 moves and go to those moves everytime. If a guy swings at me then more often or not I'm using a straight arm bar to the ground and then fold his arm up like a pretzel. I think martial arts a great thing to be doing for exercise and fitness, but people have to remember a street fight is not like a dojo and I have seen people forget that and get their asses handed to them. When we fight it's to win, as much as physical you need mentle toughness, you have accept that in a fight your going to get hit and hurt, but that you will win no matter what and you will do whatever it takes. I think teaching that, engraining that into ones psyche is more important then all the MMA in the world. You can be the most "sound" fighter, but if you don't have that edge upstairs you will not win. Now that being said, if you train your mind as much as your body then you should be good to handle whatever the bad guy throws at us.
    Giggity giggity Goo!

Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I was a black belt in a Japanese form of Karate called "Uechi-Ryu," before I got into law enforcement.

I also wrestled, and currently practice mixed martial arts techniques on my fiancee.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    I practice ''beatthemtilltheygolimp''. it's worked well so far.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Deputy2400 is offline Professional Rights Advisor
    I have watched the karate kid at least 20 times...i believe that should make me some type of kung fu master!
    If you run from me...you'll just go to jail tired!

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    i train with the gracie studio here in florida..
    have now for almost three years, they came and did a seminar at the academy and i stayed with them outside it since.

they saved me twice already now with that training.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    I practice ''beatthemtilltheygolimp''. it's worked well so far.
    HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAAH omg..
    that was funny
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    With care in selection -- there are martial arts programs that'll benefit you on the street. You know what the street is like; if what they're teaching is silly or lacks application, then don't train in it for street use. (If your goal is just some exercise or cultural experience -- then go for it. Just realize what you're getting!)

I had a black belt before I became a cop. I've continued training since then -- but my focus has changed and become more targetted towards simple & effective, less flash.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by HardNoseBull View Post
    MMA is great thing, but as most martial arts I would say that most people will remember 3 to 5 moves and go to those moves everytime. If a guy swings at me then more often or not I'm using a straight arm bar to the ground and then fold his arm up like a pretzel. I think martial arts a great thing to be doing for exercise and fitness, but people have to remember a street fight is not like a dojo and I have seen people forget that and get their asses handed to them. When we fight it's to win, as much as physical you need mentle toughness, you have accept that in a fight your going to get hit and hurt, but that you will win no matter what and you will do whatever it takes. I think teaching that, engraining that into ones psyche is more important then all the MMA in the world. You can be the most "sound" fighter, but if you don't have that edge upstairs you will not win. Now that being said, if you train your mind as much as your body then you should be good to handle whatever the bad guy throws at us.
    Well said.

I have to agree with you on that. I am almost to my second degree black belt in a stand up art, and am now working on the ground game in case I get knocked down or fall etc. The stand up is good for multiple opponents or a bar fight situation, and the ground game is good for a one on one traffic stop gone bad until back up can get there. The important part is that even if your a black belt you will not look like Bruce Lee, and it will not be pretty, you just have the tools in your game to win. The tools go along with the mental desire and confidence to win that most martial arts or MMA fighting gives people.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    i train

it helps

the color of a belt means nothing
    the desire of the fighter means everything
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Unfortunately there is nowhere practical around here to train. The best I do is pick fights with my (big)little brother (6'3" 250lbs college football player and former wrestler) Sometimes I get my ass whooped, sometimes I come out on top. But I learn a hell of a lot from it. I will say this much, you go into a situation with a guy who is good on the ground (wrestler, MMA, etc) you gotta fight dirty as hell.

I know it's probably helped me a hell of a lot more than the academy training. I have been hands on and recognized what someone was about to do and had a way to counter it and win.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information