Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Michelle is offline Civilian

LE Volunteers taken the polygraph?

I was wondering if any volunteers for LE here on LEF had to take the polygraph?
    Any one know if volunteers get the same polygraph test as an LEO would?

I was told that the Colorado PD gives the polygraph to their volunteers.
    I had the interview and background check done on me when I first became a Citizen On Patrol volunteer out here in California, but never took the polygraph. They do not give them here. I think they should, but they don't.

Emily is offline Corporal
    I volunteer with a police department here, and while they did not give me a polygraph they did do an extensive background check....as they should.

Personally, I don't think a polygraph would be such a bad idea. They gave me access to everything at their downtown headquarters (where I work). I'm a perfectly responsible person and wouldn't abuse my powers, but some jackass off the street that could slide past the backgrounds could really get into some shit with the kind of access they grant the volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    I volunteer with a police department here, and while they did not give me a polygraph they did do an extensive background check....as they should.

Personally, I don't think a polygraph would be such a bad idea. They gave me access to everything at their downtown headquarters (where I work). I'm a perfectly responsible person and wouldn't abuse my powers, but some jackass off the street that could slide past the backgrounds could really get into some shit with the kind of access they grant the volunteers.
    So true! I never really thought about the extent of trust they gave us at the station I volunteered with till reading LE forums. I just did exactly what I was told and didn't think much more about it.

One of the assignments given to me when we would have checkpoints was to search vehicles that were pulled off the street.
    I'd then have to itemize everything on paper that was in the vehicle before it was towed.
    Sometime ago I had mention this on another LE forum and an LEO said there would be no way that he would trust anyone else to search a vehicle he had pulled off.

Maybe if volunteers had to go through all the checks that an LEO has to, there would be a bit more comfort.

Emily is offline Corporal
    Exactly.

I had to get special clearance to do what I do there. I know they did the background investigation, but it still amazes me that they let a civilian see the kind of stuff that I see (or "handle" because I work independently for the most part). Don't get me wrong though, I am extremely thankful they've given me this experience.

I take pride in what I do, and would never, ever jeapordize that. It's never even crossed my mind.... but could you imagine what some weirdo volunteer could do, if given the opportunity? I don't think that thought sits well with a lot of LEOs.

Bosco3379 is offline I'm the one in the middle
    I volunteer for a PD and never had to do a polygraph... But i'm just an Explorer.
    Former member of the LNC

Will take verbal abuse for spare change

Some Of My Wicked Awesome Signature Banners

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Michelle, which PD? PM if you would feel more comfrotable.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

COS. Unless there is one in Black Forest or Peyton.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Our Chief doesn't trust his volunteers enough to permit them to take a polygraph - He just doesn't let them do anything in the PD except serve a turkey dinner on Christmas - end of story.

The only exception is the handful of Citizen Patrol volunteers now on the pilot program - They still don't do anything directly FOR the PD - They're really just a Neighborhood Watch patrol who were given a police radio, a red car, and a plain logo-less uniform so no one knows that they're affiliated with the town's PD at all. They just did a background on them I think.

Of course, the volunteer Reserve officers (which our Chief doesn't trust or like either) are given the same entry exams and polygraph (or no polygraph) that any other police officer would get at the same city (not ours).

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information