Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Woman has rare identical quadruplets

I find it amazing and wonderful that these children were born without the aid of fertility drugs.

Woman has rare identical quadruplets

By SARAH COOKE, Associated Press Writer

Thu Aug 16, 7:53 PM ET

A 35-year-old Canadian woman has given birth to rare identical quadruplets, officials at a Great Falls hospital said Thursday. Karen Jepp of Calgary, Alberta, delivered Autumn, Brooke, Calissa and Dahlia by Caesarian section Sunday afternoon at Benefis Healthcare, said Amy Astin, the hospital's director of community and government relations.
    The four girls were breathing without ventilators and listed in good condition Thursday, she said.

"These babies are doing grand," said Dr. Tom Key of Great Falls, the perinatologist who delivered the girls.
    The babies were born about two months early and were conceived without fertility drugs, he said. They weighed between 2.6 pounds and 2.15 pounds.
    Jepp and her husband, J.P., declined to be interviewed by The Associated Press.

"The parents have been a little bit shy about the press. ... We agreed to handle it in a way they were comfortable with," Astin said.

The couple have a 2-year-old son, Simon. J.P. Jepp works for Shell Oil Co., and both worked for nonprofit groups until recently, Astin said.
    The chances of giving birth to identical quadruplets is about one in 13 million, Key said.
    "This is a very big medical event," he said. "Identical quadruplets are extremely rare."

Medical literature indicates there are less than 50 sets of identical quadruplets, said Dr. Jamie Grifo, director of the NYU Fertility Center in New York.
    The last reported set were born in April 2006 to a 26-year-old Indian woman.

The Jepps drove 325 miles to Great Falls for the births because hospitals in Calgary were at capacity, Key said.
    "The difficulty is that Calgary continues to grow at such a rapid rate. ... The population has increased a lot faster than the number of hospital beds," he said.
    Two of the girls were to be transferred to a Calgary hospital later Thursday. The other two could be moved Friday if their conditions remain favorable, Key said.
    They will likely remain hospitalized for four to six weeks, he said.
    "These quads are special," Astin said. "The fact that she carried them 31 weeks and three days is excellent."

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Think of the practical joke potential! I pity their future teachers, classmates, spouses, and co-workers.

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    I could not even imagine having four children that all look the same and are the same age.....yeap a small padded room ....is were I would soon be...
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    The Jepps drove 325 miles to Great Falls for the births because hospitals in Calgary were at capacity, Key said.
    Hey Jenna, you want to make an arguement here for socialized health care?
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Sounds like Mr. Jepp is a genetic jackhammer!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Sounds like Mr. Jepp is a genetic jackhammer!
    How so? One of his sissier sperm caused an egg to fall into four pieces?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    How so? One of his sissier sperm caused an egg to fall into four pieces?
    You've got it all wrong, Ducky! It was so powerful that the egg exploded into four pieces!

In all seriousness, I really do think that's miraculous.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    There was an article in the Star Tribune on Saturday (oh wait, it's called Early Sunday now........) about a Minnesota set of quadruplets. They've been all over TV in their 14 years of life.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Thread Information