Welcome to the APBWeb.
    bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

On the road again

My wife and I will be going to Rome next week for a Med Cruise. Due to travel plans, we wll be transiting Detroit Mich Airport for a connecting Air France flight to Paris (then on to Rome). How much of a problem is the Detroit Airport?? Never been there before. Any ideas, etc??

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I fly into Detroit quite a bit. They've expanded the airport in the last few years, and most of the major airlines fly into the main (McNamara) terminal - I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that the international terminal is a separate building any longer.

There is a monorail that runs along a portion of the airport, otherwise you have a very long walk depending on the gates of your arriving flight and your connecting flight.

What airline are you flying into Detroit?

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I hope you'll have some time in Rome, there is so much to see!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Verified LEO
    Its going to be a nice trip. We fly from Columbia, SC to Detroit, change then Air France to Paris, change then to Rome. We have a hotel near the port where we spend the night. The next day, to the Cruise Ship (Freedom). So, it goes: Rome-Naples-Athens, Rhodes - Izmer Turkey, Istanbul, Some Island in Greece, back to Florence and then Rome. Get off the boat and spend 8 days in Rome (rented an apartment - cheaper then Hotels). Then Rome-Paris-Houston Tx and then Home. Be gone 'bout a month. Just wish the EURO was better. Get killed on the exchange rate. Just hope the weather is good.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Its going to be a nice trip. We fly from Columbia, SC to Detroit, change then Air France to Paris, change then to Rome. We have a hotel near the port where we spend the night. The next day, to the Cruise Ship (Freedom). So, it goes: Rome-Naples-Athens, Rhodes - Izmer Turkey, Istanbul, Some Island in Greece, back to Florence and then Rome. Get off the boat and spend 8 days in Rome (rented an apartment - cheaper then Hotels). Then Rome-Paris-Houston Tx and then Home. Be gone 'bout a month. Just wish the EURO was better. Get killed on the exchange rate. Just hope the weather is good.
    My aunt and uncle took a similar cruise and had a wonderful time.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    You lucky bastard!
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    You lucky bastard!
    Yeah, why do y'all think I went back to work after retiring in 2004. Got to pay for all this world traveling somehow. 2005-Germany,Czech Rep, Slovokia, Hungary, Austria. 2005 - Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Belarus, Poland, Germany - 2006 - GOT WET IN ENGLAND AND SCOTLAND
    2007 - Now this. 2008 Germany - Balkan Countries, Romania - Bulgaria.
    Or maybe CHINA. It up to the wife. We shall see which way the wind blows. Hope the kids don't expect to much of their inheratance.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Are you stopping in Santorini?

My aunt and grandmother took a cruise like that, and had an amazing time!

I was lucky enough to spend a few days in Rome, we stayed at a business hotel that served breakfast, and had a remarkable time. The Romans are warm, friendly, and very helpful.

The water from the public drinking fountains still comes from mountain springs....very refreshing!

Have a safe and fantastic voyage!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Florence is a fantastic, I liked it even more than Rome. Sounds like you've got an amazing trip planned. Have a wonderful time!
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

Verified LEO

I'm Back

Well, got home Monday evening. It was a hell of a trip back. Had to get up at 3:30AM (Rome time) to be at the air port at 5:00PM. Plane was late leaving Rome and got to Paris (got to be the worst fu*cking airport in the world). Just made the flight to Houston; after 9 hrs we got in. The US Immigration people at Houston treat citizens worse then the Foreigners with visas. Customs, no problem. Spend sunday with my daughter and her family and left Mon afternoot for home. Late out of Houston, got to Atlanta and made my connection flight. Got home and one piece of baggage lost. It came in on the next filght 1/2 hr later.

The trip it self was awesome. Just to much to write about. Imagine, Rome to Rhodes (Greece), Izmir (Turkey), Istanbul(Turkey) Athens, one island cant remember, Lararno (Italy) and back to Rome. We even saw an active Volcano on some islands off of Italy-Sicily (Stromboli?). We stayed an extra 8 days in Rome right accross from the Vatican. Saw the Pope twice (he didn't see me though). Just to darn much to write about. I highly recommend the trip. Cost a few buck, but what the hell, only live once and can't take it with you. Really didn't want to come back. If anyone wants any info, PM me and I'll give you me tele #.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Glad you had a good time. My niece works on a Cruise ship in the Med. Poor girl, they are sailing to the Carribean for Christmas. Don't know how she copes.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Illiy is offline Corporal
    My aunt is on one of those right now for three weeks... man... the hard life...

Glad you had a great time... that is one thing I will say about LAX coming back from Europe was easy esp. after 24 hours of traveling from airport to airport... nothing like leaving denmark at 3am in the 50's and getting to Los Angeles at Noon in the 100's

Thread Information