Welcome to the APBWeb.
    E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO

Computer-phone question

I have an Apple router called an AIRPORT hooked up to our cable modem. My desktop can now access the signals from the airport via a USB wireless adapter allowing her laptop and my desktop to be online at the same time.
    Ok? Capeice?
    We got home from Yom Kippur dinner with her family and I turn the desktop on but no signal. I reset the router and still no signal.
    I go downstairs to get the white phone {color is important} to call the cable-phone co. and get no signal or dialtone. NOW IAM PISSED I check the white phone a few more times.{the white phone is an old 900mghz phone that does NOT disrupt the wireless signals, the black phone which is a newer 2.8 does shut down the wireless signals}
    The white phone sudddenly FLIES OUT OF MY HAND AT LIGHTNING SPEED AND MEETS AN UNTIMELY DEMISE AGAINST MY BASEMENT WALL... I feel better ... BUT now I must use the black phone which I proceed to locate and guess what???

NO SIGNAL
    I let that one live a long and healthy life...
    I use my cell phone and call the phoen-interweb provider and eventually get back online, both phone and innerwebb thingy...
    Wife goes " Uh why doesnt the dishwasher work?"

I try it and sure as poop is smelly, it doesnt work.
    Thank Hashem that I have a home warranty as they will be over tomorrow to fix or maybe I need a new REPLACEMENT WASHER

Now, onto my question...
    Do any of you know why the new phone shuts down my wireless signal and the old 900 mgz doesnt???
    And do the new new ones that work maybe 5.8 or higher wokr better and wont shut my wireless signal down?

P.s.- anyone have and old 900 mghz phone they wanns get rid of?
    P.S.S.- the wife is mad that the white phone met its untimely DEATH
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

trekgirl is offline Officer First Class
    The new phone may be close enough in frequency to the frequency that the wireless is using. It wouldn't technically be shutting it down, but it could certainly garble it. I have a 5.8 GHz phone setup and it does not interfere with any of my Cisco gear or my cheapy linksys. I haven't ever hear of a a cordless phone doing this...then again I haven't been around apple brand routers. Just Cisco and Baystack. But I've had 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz and now a 5.8 GHz set that worked with no difficulty.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I had a 2.4ghz phone that would almost always bump my laptop offline. I switched up to a 5.8ghz and it cleared up, and the old 900mhz never give it a problem. Fortunately the 900mhz phones are cheap.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    Your 900 Mhz telephone is disrupting the pheno signal from the terminal IS device. That, in turn, causes a router fluctuation causing a fatal overload within the host machine. The frequency of the slave device could possibly be creating a firewall effect to the airport router. It is important to understand that the color of the telephone is unimportant in this situation. A common solution to this problem is to get out of the freaking basement and you may get a signal. If that doesn't work, take the aluminum foil off of your windows. The death rays from Mars only occur in the month of December when the moon is in alignment with Saturn.
    Good luck.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by So Fla Cop View Post
    Your 900 Mhz telephone is disrupting the pheno signal from the terminal IS device. That, in turn, causes a router fluctuation causing a fatal overload within the host machine. The frequency of the slave device could possibly be creating a firewall effect to the airport router. It is important to understand that the color of the telephone is unimportant in this situation. A common solution to this problem is to get out of the freaking basement and you may get a signal. If that doesn't work, take the aluminum foil off of your windows. The death rays from Mars only occur in the month of December when the moon is in alignment with Saturn.
    Good luck.

\\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

PeterJasonMN Guest
    Now that was a blast from the past. E-Man was the first screen name I ever used when I was first shown by Algore how to use his internets.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Good luck.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Could have been worse. I know of a overly stressed sheriff deputy who once shot his phone for ringing one too many times.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Could have been worse. I know of a overly stressed sheriff deputy who once shot his phone for ringing one too many times.
    How did you find out? I didn't see anybody there.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Verified LEO
    Good luck.

You had me at the first line but once you hit the slave device and color of phone being unimportant, you really had me
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJasonMN View Post
    Now that was a blast from the past. E-Man was the first screen name I ever used when I was first shown by Algore how to use his internets.
    My real nickname is Easy E and NOT because I was a fan of the dead rapper who had aids...

Iam just an easy going guy, but one of my favorite lines is
    DOnt confuse kindness with WEAKNESS cause ILL CRUSH U LIKE A GRAPE...
    Not you of course just my fans on the street

RIP Eric

Thread Information