Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo

Why did you make the choice????

After reading the thread in the news section about the mother that got caught abusing the welfare system and the low pay of the NYPD I started thinking, WHY IN THE HELL AM I DOING WHAT I'AM DOING FOR SO LITTLE????

I'll preface a little bit here.... I'm not a LEO yet, but have started the process and will not even be in the academy until Fall of next year, (had to put it off till the next class rotation). I know way ahead of time how much the dept that I want to work for starts paying at $32,000, 12 hour shifts, working 15 days a month...6 deputy's on duty with 904 sq. miles to patrol.

I know ahead of time that I cannot make it on that alone, just to pay my basic bills each month I have 3271.00 going out.... So my friends are going, hey WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING ???

I just smile at them and say, Its what I really want to do, sometimes its not about the money, and to be truthful, I cannot put it into words why I want to do it, it kinda seems weird to say it, but its almost a sense of belonging.

MY master plan of how I will make it work.....

Last year I made $98,000 at my current workplace and have worked out a deal with them to keep my current job with all of my benefits and work for the SO at the same time, I know ahead of time the transition will be very hard and yes I will lose some money, but I believe in the end it will be worth it...

So in closing all of my friends think I have lost it.....

So what made you make the choice to move into law enforcement knowing that you were going to be underpaid and unappreciated......
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I grew up around it and I loved it. Dad tried his best to talk me out of it, then when I got hired, he supported me 100%.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    After reading the thread in the news section about the mother that got caught abusing the welfare system and the low pay of the NYPD I started thinking, WHY IN THE HELL AM I DOING WHAT I'AM DOING FOR SO LITTLE????

I'll preface a little bit here.... I'm not a LEO yet, but have started the process and will not even be in the academy until Fall of next year, (had to put it off till the next class rotation). I know way ahead of time how much the dept that I want to work for starts paying at $32,000, 12 hour shifts, working 15 days a month...6 deputy's on duty with 904 sq. miles to patrol.

I know ahead of time that I cannot make it on that alone, just to pay my basic bills each month I have 3271.00 going out.... So my friends are going, hey WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING ???

I just smile at them and say, Its what I really want to do, sometimes its not about the money, and to be truthful, I cannot put it into words why I want to do it, it kinda seems weird to say it, but its almost a sense of belonging.

MY master plan of how I will make it work.....

Last year I made $98,000 at my current workplace and have worked out a deal with them to keep my current job with all of my benefits and work for the SO at the same time, I know ahead of time the transition will be very hard and yes I will lose some money, but I believe in the end it will be worth it...

So in closing all of my friends think I have lost it.....

So what made you make the choice to move into law enforcement knowing that you were going to be underpaid and unappreciated......

I tell you what Bud..You come take my job and I will take over your job. Then we can call each other on the phone and say " I don't know what the hell I was thinking".
    The opinions of my posts are the sole responsibilty of my employer due to the fact that they have totally and completely warped my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bufford408 View Post
    I tell you what Bud..You come take my job and I will take over your job. Then we can call each other on the phone and say " I don't know what the hell I was thinking".

EHEHHEHEH!!! You would not like it to much, I'm a automotive painter, to be specific, I paint bumpers, LOL!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    EHEHHEHEH!!! You would not like it to much, I'm a automotive painter, to be specific, I paint bumpers, LOL!!

Hey, for $98,000 I'll paint the whole car and the boss's house.
    The opinions of my posts are the sole responsibilty of my employer due to the fact that they have totally and completely warped my mind.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    I went from a six figure salary to 80k... it took some adjustment but i also refused to work for anyone in LE who wouldn't pay. I did a lot of research and found MDPD and with some adjustments I am still able to save money etc...

I know I have always wanted to do this job. Always. But I was not going to sacrifice my living standards from even middle income to fucking poor. I really don't know how my friend does it who lives in a small town near Boone NC. He barely gets by and its like he is still in college. There is NO way he could support a child and to me that is nucking futs to do that to anyone in LEO. I almost wish people would say 'fuck you' to the hiring process, but that wont happen. My friend would make more money at friggin mcd's full time.

I shake my head so much at this... they might as well make us like a partial fire dept where we are 'volunteers' lol... (go get a job that pays and in your spare time.. here is a gun and a badge.. fight crime on your way home)

the cost of living is higher here... sure.. but not so much so... if someone had a roomate you can rent a pretty nice apt for 1k a month. That is even over here on the beach side if you look. Now if you want to BUY something... you really have to hunt, but there are some good fixer upers that are within range... or now we can live outside the county and out west are some nice homes.

I think many states have not taken into consideration that the cost of living HAS gone up EVEN in their area... they still have the pay at the rate from 5 years ago or plus. It is ver disturbing and I cannot even think of where to start in fixing it. I know our PBA really fights for us and they did a good job in something -- from what i heard in the station regarding benifits and pay... dont these other places have this to look out for them?

I refused to be so underpaid that i am struggling... underappreciated i can handle, that is pretty much in every work place environment to some degree.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    does any place in nc pay well. like goz said there is departments that pay better than others. some are just insulting with what they pay. most officers don't do it for the money. if you ever figure out what you are thinking you will realize that you are out of your mind.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Cops get paid very well in the northwest. I've never met a cop who had to work a second job, or even considered it.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    Cops get paid very well in the northwest. I've never met a cop who had to work a second job, or even considered it.
    It's done all the time. A lot of it is "off duty" work in police uniform.

Housing in the Northwest will kill your paycheck.

Tony is offline Banned
    I saw the $$ some of the LEO's were getting in the US, it's pretty low for putting your life on the line.

I guess because you've got so many agencies with such small numbers, it's hard to strike good pay deals.

I think we're closer to the UK when it comes to industrial relations and with 11,000 plus members in our union, it's beneficial for our pay negotiations.

When I joined I was on $7000 pa, I think, but a house cost $48,000. . . . . but that's a year or two ago!!!

It's good that you can follow your dream with a compromise so you don't have to starve.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Without going overboard, I was brought up in an abusive household. Wanted to do what I could to help others in that type situation. After getting into the job, which took a long time to land, I found there was plenty of job security, and not just in domestic violence.
    Was also taught by a Grandmother and Step-Grandfather that self sacrafice and service to others was what life was about.
    Sometimes it has nothing to do with money. I never knew what cops made prior to being one. It's just something I had to do.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thanks for the answers......

Thread Information