Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tony is offline Banned

Small town living

This is from another thread but then I've hi-jacked it to here.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post

We just got electricity and running water in pipes about two years. J/K The bridge is in the National Registry of Historical Places http://www.nationalregisterofhistori...den/state.html
    You'll have to scroll down to find it.

The bridge photo is bloody great. Living in a smaller town would be great, I've often thought about transferring to the country & working in a small town. The wife is against it though.

How do you feel about it, that is, small town living vs big city living?? Not my wife's views!!!

. . you being any one who wants to reply.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    This is from another thread but then I've hi-jacked it to here.

The bridge photo is bloody great. Living in a smaller town would be great, I've often thought about transferring to the country & working in a small town. The wife is against it though.

How do you feel about it, that is, small town living vs big city living?? Not my wife's views!!!

. . you being any one who wants to reply.
    I could never live in a small town. Grew up to close to New York City. Granted St. Louis is no NYC, but it still has everything I need close by.
    I am way to much of a city boy.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Tony is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I could never live in a small town. Grew up to close to New York City. Granted St. Louis is no NYC, but it still has everything I need close by.
    I am way to much of a city boy.
    But policing in a small town is way different to policing in a large city.

Does that aspect appeal to you?

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    But policing in a small town is way different to policing in a large city.

Does that aspect appeal to you?
    I work in a town that is pretty rural in places. I did work in an urban area before and I am much happier where I am now.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Tony is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I work in a town that is pretty rural in places. I did work in an urban area before and I am much happier where I am now.
    That's what my mates tell me that work in the bush/smaller towns. Ta for your input.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I live in what I consider to be a small town (roughly 36,000). My quality of life is good - actually, this town was listed as one of the top 100 places to live - but I'm a city girl. I must say that it's nice to drive 5 minutes to a farm to buy produce or dairy products, and if I want to go horseback riding, I'm no more than 10 minutes away from being able to do so. I love sitting on my deck and being able to see all of the stars on a clear night, there are too many lights to be able to do that in a major city. I rarely hear sirens or loud music when I'm outdoors at home, it's very quiet here.

However, I miss being able to get good Mexican food or Greek food after midnight if I want, or being no more than 20 minutes away from almost anything I'd want to do. If I'd known a little more about what to expect when I was relocated, I would have chosen a different town.

The only thing that keeps me from going crazy is that I'm close to both NYC and Philadelphia.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Born and raised a small town guy. I wouldn't have it any other way. I've visited numerous large cities and could never really see myself living in one. My wife claims she's a city girl, but never had any real city experience. She'd probably go nuts if we lived somewhere else, even though she claims the opposite.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Tony is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    . . . good Greek food . . .
    They have Greek food in the US?? I asked for a Greek Salad and got blank looks . . . I love Greek food.

Sorry . .

I grew up mostly in a small town (pop 10,000) I loved it. Wouldn't have it any other way. I think I'd die in a big city.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I can live in either. However, I would only like policing in a smaller area. I didn't feel effective in N. O.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I have worked in both. I can tell you that there is a world of difference. Mostly it's the small town politics that makes life hard. Big city well you will just die younger. We live on twenty acres see no neighbors and they can't see us. That is better than having your neighbor twenty-five feet from the side of your house.

Tony is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
    I have worked in both. I can tell you that there is a world of difference. Mostly it's the small town politics that makes life hard. Big city well you will just die younger. We live on twenty acres see no neighbors and they can't see us. That is better than having your neighbor twenty-five feet from the side of your house.
    I understand the small town politics to some extent, even though the police working in our small towns are placed there by the State Police Dept, he/she has to live in that town with his/her family. They don't have an issue about losing their job if they upset one of the local big wigs. I guess that can be an issue in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I can live in either. However, I would only like policing in a smaller area. I didn't feel effective in N. O.
    My mates that work in smaller communities have told me the same thing . . about being effective and being able to make a difference. They can go and whisper in X's ear to pull their head in and they do.

Elle is offline Banned
    It can get boring because there's basically nothing to do, unless you work on a farm(this is a farming community). I swear sometimes the whole town knows something about you before you yourself even know. This town has a population of only about 30 or a little above just in town and we don't have a town police department, only county sheriff's office of 4 deputies and the sheriff.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I work in a "small" city that abuts Seattle.

Where I live however, is so rural I have deer, bear, and cougars to play with.

I'd kill to work a mountain car or as an LE ranger, if they paid.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I guess I am what you could call a suburbanite. I live in a town of 37,000 but it borders a city of 200,000. I can go half a mile and be rural. My town has not lost its small town feel about it. It is still in some ways close knit. I have the seclusion of a rural setting and the activity of an urban setting. Kind of the best of both worlds.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    At this point in my career, I much prefer policing in a small to mid size city, as opposed to a big one.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Currently living in a small city and can't wait to build my house and move to the middle of the woods. I can't walk around my house the way I want without having my blinds drawn, people walk down my road and see straight into my house, I have other people living 40 foot from me, I hate it. Where we're moving I won't be able to see anything but trees, deer, birds, squirrels and foxes. There was a gang roundup in my neighborhood a few months back, and I hear gunshots from the next street over.

I want to go to the middle of the woods and become nearly a hermit.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    My town is around 3200 people. My high school graduating class was 49 people. The problem is that we're a little too close to other, bigger towns to have any decent stores or restaurants. If my town was in eastern Oregon, it'd be the county seat.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

lynnz05 is offline Corporal
    I was raised in a town of 210 people. I now live in a town of about 19,000. I know I could never live in a large city or really, anything too much bigger than here. I can't drive in big cities and I don't like sitting in a house and not ever having peace and quiet. Seems like in big cities you are always hearing traffic, airplanes, sirens, etc. I liked living in a small town the only problem is it gets incredibly boring and there is too much gossip and rumors. I think I would be happiest living in any town with between 2,000-20,000 people.
    What I say is my opinion, not my employers or that of my academic institution.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    I happen to like the smaller town thing. My county has roughly 60,000 residents. About 29,000 live in Carbondale, 9700 in Murphysboro and the rest spread out in small villages and the unincorporated county. I prefer the county to even Carbondale because of all the different aspects we encounter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information