Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Birds

  1. #1
    Tony's Avatar
    Tony is offline Banned
    Join Date
    06-05-07
    Location
    Ostraylea
    Posts
    2,527
    Rep Power
    0

    Birds

    It might be just an adoration, but the only birds I heard in the US on the west coast were crows and the occasional gull. Even in the national parks it was quiet. . . . I saw birds, but they weren't ones to make noise.

    Is it just the way it is in the US?

    Is it a side effect of having natural predators?

    We don't have things like wolves or cougars/bob cats here. We have introduced hunters, like foxes, feral cats & feral dogs. Dingos are pretty rare this side of the black stump.

    I never realised how noisy it is here until I got back. In suburbia we have magpies, rosella's, honey eaters, minors, cockatoos, gallahs, crows/ravens and seagulls/pacific gulls just to name a few and when the sun sets/rises there's quite a din.

    Are other areas of the US blessed with more vocal birds?



  2. #2
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,806
    Rep Power
    4604045
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    It might be just an adoration, but the only birds I heard in the US on the west coast were crows and the occasional gull. Even in the national parks it was quiet. . . . I saw birds, but they weren't ones to make noise.

    Is it just the way it is in the US?

    Is it a side effect of having natural predators?

    We don't have things like wolves or cougars/bob cats here. We have introduced hunters, like foxes, feral cats & feral dogs. Dingos are pretty rare this side of the black stump.

    I never realised how noisy it is here until I got back. In suburbia we have magpies, rosella's, honey eaters, minors, cockatoos, gallahs, crows/ravens and seagulls/pacific gulls just to name a few and when the sun sets/rises there's quite a din.

    Are other areas of the US blessed with more vocal birds?



    The Pacific Northwest is a veritable aviary.

    On any given day, I can hear a different bird. Where I live, I am treated to Eagles and Osprey chattering, among others. At night I have owls.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



  3. #3
    jmur5074's Avatar
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,051
    Rep Power
    6232623
    There are sparrows, swallows, finches, woodpeckers, blue jays, robins, eagles, herons, falcons, and hawks all over the place by me....to name a few.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

    "The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

    We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

  4. #4
    Willowdared's Avatar
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Join Date
    04-26-06
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,177
    Rep Power
    1401352
    I guess you missed the Point Loma parrots?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

    Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

  5. #5
    Ducky's Avatar
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-05-05
    Location
    Handbasket, enroute to somewhere hot.
    Posts
    11,108
    Rep Power
    7439166
    I can't get the ones at my place to shut up long enough to have a cell phone call. Blue Jays, Mockingbirds, Cardinals, Finches, Mourning Doves, Pigeons, Hawks, Wrens, Owls, and yes, crows, not to mention the damn buzzards. All of them are noisy bastards. Only quiet ones I've found are the hummingbirds, and I think that's only because they forgot the words.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q


  6. #6
    Tony's Avatar
    Tony is offline Banned
    Join Date
    06-05-07
    Location
    Ostraylea
    Posts
    2,527
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    I guess you missed the Point Loma parrots?
    I did!!

    I saw these but they weren't vocal.



    We have these in the backyard ~











  7. #7
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,806
    Rep Power
    4604045
    Tony, you ever visit the States again, you let me know.

    I'll put you (and the misses) up in the spare room out here in God's Country.

    You'll get the chance to see more birds and game than you'd expect, and I'll even get you on my range for some shootin.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



  8. #8
    1*girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I can't get the ones at my place to shut up long enough to have a cell phone call. Blue Jays, Mockingbirds, Cardinals, Finches, Mourning Doves, Pigeons, Hawks, Wrens, Owls, and yes, crows, not to mention the damn buzzards. All of them are noisy bastards. Only quiet ones I've found are the hummingbirds, and I think that's only because they forgot the words.
    Yeah, for the south to be so peaceful at night during the summer, it's noisy as hell. Buuuuutttt...even though I'm not a bird person, I've always loved listening to the Mourning Doves and the Whip-poor-will. You forgot that one! And whatever bird it is that sounds like it's saying "doobie-doobie-doobie".

  9. #9
    Tony's Avatar
    Tony is offline Banned
    Join Date
    06-05-07
    Location
    Ostraylea
    Posts
    2,527
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 1*girl View Post
    Yeah, for the south to be so peaceful at night during the summer, it's noisy as hell. Buuuuutttt...even though I'm not a bird person, I've always loved listening to the Mourning Doves and the Whip-poor-will. You forgot that one! And whatever bird it is that sounds like it's saying "doobie-doobie-doobie".
    When our youngest was born he'd sleep with us in the morning and there was bird outside that made a noise that sounded like "pollycock" so it's been know in our family for the past 16 years as a pollycock bird.

    Maybe your doobie bird is related??

  10. #10
    Ducky's Avatar
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-05-05
    Location
    Handbasket, enroute to somewhere hot.
    Posts
    11,108
    Rep Power
    7439166
    Quote Originally Posted by 1*girl View Post
    Yeah, for the south to be so peaceful at night during the summer, it's noisy as hell. Buuuuutttt...even though I'm not a bird person, I've always loved listening to the Mourning Doves and the Whip-poor-will. You forgot that one! And whatever bird it is that sounds like it's saying "doobie-doobie-doobie".
    Quail?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q


  11. #11
    Tony's Avatar
    Tony is offline Banned
    Join Date
    06-05-07
    Location
    Ostraylea
    Posts
    2,527
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Quail?

    We have quails in with our budgies (parakeets) and ours make a peep noise

  12. #12
    Ducky's Avatar
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-05-05
    Location
    Handbasket, enroute to somewhere hot.
    Posts
    11,108
    Rep Power
    7439166
    Naa, these make a sound that has give some the name of the Bobwhite Quail... bobWHITE! bob-bob-WHITE!

    Trying to think of another bird down here that would sound like that.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q


  13. #13
    1*girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    When our youngest was born he'd sleep with us in the morning and there was bird outside that made a noise that sounded like "pollycock" so it's been know in our family for the past 16 years as a pollycock bird.

    Maybe your doobie bird is related??
    Omg, pollycock would crack me up more than my doobie bird!

  14. #14
    1*girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Naa, these make a sound that has give some the name of the Bobwhite Quail... bobWHITE! bob-bob-WHITE!

    Trying to think of another bird down here that would sound like that.
    Hmmm...don't know. But I forgot about the Bobwhite. I haven't heard it in a couple of years.

  15. #15
    Ducky's Avatar
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-05-05
    Location
    Handbasket, enroute to somewhere hot.
    Posts
    11,108
    Rep Power
    7439166
    Oh, and woodpeckers!
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q


  16. #16
    Tony's Avatar
    Tony is offline Banned
    Join Date
    06-05-07
    Location
    Ostraylea
    Posts
    2,527
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 1*girl View Post
    Omg, pollycock would crack me up more than my doobie bird!
    I think it might be a honey eater but how could we call it anything but pollycock.

    Our Magpies have a great song.

    Here's a YouTube link ~

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ_pkvO5ia8

  17. #17
    1*girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Oh, and woodpeckers!
    Now THAT'S a noisy bastard! Especially when you're on nightshift and trying to sleep during the day!

  18. #18
    Tony's Avatar
    Tony is offline Banned
    Join Date
    06-05-07
    Location
    Ostraylea
    Posts
    2,527
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Oh, and woodpeckers!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1*girl View Post
    Now THAT'S a noisy bastard! Especially when you're on nightshift and trying to sleep during the day!
    As we don't have them here, is it the knocking noise?

  19. #19
    1*girl Guest
    Yes!!

  20. #20
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,806
    Rep Power
    4604045
    Quote Originally Posted by 1*girl View Post
    Now THAT'S a noisy bastard! Especially when you're on nightshift and trying to sleep during the day!
    Last spring I was running outside in my PJ's and chasing the bugger off with a hose. It would knock on the metal flashing on the chimney while I tried to sleep. The sound would reverberate all over the house!
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •