Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Talking Hilarity ensues from Homeland Security email glitch

Did anyone on LEF get these wacky Homeland Security listserv emails? Sounds almost as fun as LEF!

Every day, the Department of Homeland Security emails an “Open Source Intelligence Report” about the nation’s critical infrastructure to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of security and emergency officials working for corporations, governors’ offices, big city police forces and myriad federal agencies.

Early today, one recipient requested a change in his email address, mistakenly contacting the entire subscriber list. The error set off a chain reaction of responses, revealing once-private email addresses, contact details and a glimpse of how some react to a Homeland Security crisis.

One immediately started networking: “I don’t think everyone realizes that yet, but what a nice way for all of us to get to know one another!” he wrote to the list, punctuating his observance with a little smiley face. That prompted another to suggest everyone on the list provide a local weather report. Some emailed pictures and their phone numbers and street addresses.

Many weren’t so jolly, demanding right in the subject line: “TAKE ME OFF THIS LIST.” That served to generate even more email traffic as others clicked on the powerful “reply to all” option, adding to the accidental DHS spam.

One outraged recipient took the time to set up an anonymous gmail account with user identity “youmorons7” and write a blistering note: “I can see the CNN story on this tomorrow. The DHS’s mail server was crashed yesterday by a group of security ‘professionals’ that are part of our nation’s defense against attack. Because a large number of these ‘professionals’ did not understand how mail reflectors work and what function their reply button served, many of them contributed to the massive wave of e-mail nearly brought the server down."

“The wave of messages was followed by an equally large tide of ‘unsubscribe’ requests that were also relayed to thousands of subscribers. Combined, these messages were found to be the trigger of the crash event. One insider that was interviewed said ‘We should all be able to sleep soundly knowing that this group may be the one of the lines of defense in the protection of our nation.’”

A senior DHS official described the incident was a “non-event” for the department’s own security. No systems crashed; no backdoors were revealed. The reaction of the security professionals on the list, he said, was “much more worrying.”

A sample of the emails that filled our inbox:
    “I like long walks on the beach and a nice chardonnay with my roasted duck.”
    “Or even a nice chianti with that roasted duck — it is autumn!”
    “Look at this as a business development opportunity.”
    “Does anyone need homeland security consulting?”
    “Howdy from Tampa, a sunny place for shady people.”
    “I’m a Sagittarius …”
    “ I like scuba diving …” And one person wrote:
    “Classification: UNCLASSIFIED what does that mean?”

Email Crisis Strikes Homeland Security
    Robert Block
    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2007/10/03/email-crisis-strikes-homeland-security/

Big Sexy is offline Not your mothers BIG SEXY
    Verified LEO
    BIG SEXY is a DHS employee and receives a lot of emails. But, he nor anyone in his SAIC got any of the emails, to which this article claims.
    Don't Be Afraid To Fail.

No Tengas Miedo Al Fracaso.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
    BIG SEXY is a DHS employee and receives a lot of emails. But, he nor anyone in his SAIC got any of the emails, to which this article claims.
    Me either, mine was working just fine
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    [

A sample of the emails that filled our inbox:
    “I like long walks on the beach and a nice chardonnay with my roasted duck.”
    “Or even a nice chianti with that roasted duck — it is autumn!”
    those guys get paid too much

my budget is more popeyes chicken with a hi-c fruit punch, or possibly a nice minute maid lemonade
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I can vouch for the fact that many federal computer "experts" can't find the escape key without help.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Fed View Post
    Me either, mine was working just fine
    You guys had me worried that I had fallen for some kind of urban legend, or worse taken a parody seriously. So I googled to see if that was the case. But the New York Times says it happened, so it must have happenedl!

The list members seem to be military officers and civilian contractors, not LEOs. They even seem to have subscribers in Jordan and Iran, at least one of whom seems not so proficient at English (unless that's also a joke!)

Here are some more examples of the discussion on the list: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/us...re.html?ref=us

Some of these are really funny! These folks should be on LEF!

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post

my budget is more popeyes chicken with a hi-c fruit punch, or possibly a nice minute maid lemonade
    I take advantage of their Tuesday Special - two pieces of chicken for a dollar!!!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post

Our Popeyes burned down, I miss it!
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    My fav after reading the link below - LMAO!
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/us...re.html?ref=us

Subject: RE: DHS_Daily_Report_2007-10-02
    From: "Smith, Michael B. Mr OASA\(I&E\)-Plexus Contractor"
    To: "Wight, Collins"
    Cc: "Ryan-Bunger, Gisela
    Dear Mr. Alex Greene (the guy who started this mess),
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest you armpits and may a yak in heat make love to your shin.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Thread Information