Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Have you ever been a victim?

How many of you have been a victim of a serious crime? For you LEOs, how did it effect your outlook on victims you deal with? For non-LEOs, what were some of the effects? How well did the responding officers handle the crime?

I had been a police officer for about 10 years and I was engaged to cidp24a. She and her kids, ages 9 and 11 at that time, came home a little late one night to find her house had been burglarized and almost everything of any value was gone. The suspects kicked in the front door.

These were some of the ramifications of that crime:
    - The kids would not sleep alone for about a month because they
    feared the suspects would return.
    - The heartbreak we felt when the kids found that their
    PlayStation and some other valuable toys were gone.
    - Having to meet cidp24a at the house and check it each time
    she came home (mainly for the kids sake)
    - The feeling of helplessness and violation we felt
    - My anger at myself for not having the serial numbers available for the
    stolen items
    - Anger at the apparent apathy of the responding officers,
    even though I understood and I knew they would do their
    best for me.

This made me much more compassionate towards victims. Even to the point that I would complete my report, then tell the victim what to expect as far as some of the problems I listed above.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I was once stabbed in the back with a screw driver making a drop in the afterhours deposit box.

The guy that stabbed me got shot.

I never saw the inside of a court room.

Never lost a nights sleep over it.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

PeterJasonMN Guest
    A few times delivering food late at night in the hood I had that feeling "Well, here's where I get robbed and killed" but nothing came of it.

This Feb. I went to the doc's office for ONE hour, came back and my place was burglarized. 3 guns stolen, including a newly purchased 226 and a BRAND new M4. Also lost my computer, 360, digital camera, and a couple hundred dollars in cash/coin I was saving for Vegas. Buttfuckers even stole my backpack for school.

We're sitting around waiting for the ID tech to show and the patrol chick goes "Peter, what would you have done if you'd been home when they broke in?" Mind you this is well after she knew guns were missing. I look at her, she looks at me. I look at her, she looks at me. "OOOOOOOOOOOOOH yeah I suppose huh???" I point by the threshold and go "Well, there'd be a body right about there."

Two things that REALLY pissed me off about it, besides the burglary itself: Even though I told dispatch that multiple firearms were stolen,they still prioritized it a bottom level burglary. AND..the kicker...I go riding with nsb22's Sgt, and we enter the serial #'s of the firearms through NCIC. FOUR MONTHS LATER it's saying "No file found" or something to that effect.

I go home and fire off an email to the Chief asking WTF is going on. We come to find out the dip-dunk, coffee drinking, ass-sitting, union protected dumb biatch whose job it is to enter said firearms into NCIC "Didn't feel like entering" mine into the system, so she never got around to it. I nearly drove down to the PD right then and there to smack her head off the fucking counter, but I knew even if I went there her fat ass probably would have been on a break anyways and she'd have been nowhere to be found.

---Signed,

Bitter in Minnesota

Illiy is offline Corporal
    I had my drink spiked while out on a date... no need for details... but he was a trusted member of the community...

I have serious trust issues... I carry it with me in my sub conscious... I hope that I can keep my past in mind when I deal with victims in the future...

The responding officers were awesome... the sad part is I waited to report it until after he did it to someone else, she was only 17 so it made me feel horrible... the officers gave me the respect I needed in a time that I felt I had none and they helped me understand that as confusing as most of that night was none of it was my fault...
    Last edited by Illiy; 10-08-07 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Didn't answer the whole question....

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    cidp24 welcome to my world I just love feeling helpless, Now that I have been retired and see that the P.D. doesn't even send a unit out on a burg anymore unless the perp is there waiting for them they have you call it in and take the report over the phone.

PeterJasonMN Remember the feelings you had when you got hit especialy when you found the info wasn't entered and use those feelings to help you when you become an officer and are interviewing a victim.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I lived in some relatively high-crime neighborhoods as a kid, and I was robbed about six times of the few dollars I was carrying while walking to or from school, sometimes at knifepoint and sometimes just with threats of being beaten. Does it count as a crime if you're robbed by kids close to your own age?

My family's home was also broken into many times when I was a kid. We seemed like an easy target because our home was in such disrepair--we literally had broken windows. We didn't have a lot of stuff for them to steal, but they took any cash that was lying around. Twice I was the only one home when strangers climbed through a broken window, but surprisingly enough they left when I threatened to call the police! Maybe that's why I viewed the police positively.

We usually didn't report the crimes, though. We were afraid of retaliation by the criminals, and figured not much could be done anyway. My parents were also scared of the police because the neighbors sometimes called the police when my parents fought with each other, and they once arrested my father for domestic violence and took me to foster care for a week.

I generally lived in fear as a kid. Maybe that contributed to how paranoid I am now! But it really motivated me to work hard in school so I could get into college on a scholarship and away from the precariousness of my childhood living conditions. I haven't been the victim of any crime since I went to college, because I've been able to live in safe buildings in low-crime neighborhoods. But I remember where I came from, and empathize with those who don't have that option.

SaraJ is offline Banned
    My home was robbed when I was about 10 years old. Nothing of much interest was taken because we had nothing, being pretty poor. The one thing that I remember, and still stays with me, is the feeling of violation. The home is a refuge, a place to go and be safe. But when someone breaks in then--sometimes--you are never able to recover that feeling of being safe.

hush29 is offline Corporal
    I worked construction before I worked Law Enforcement. At about 5am, i woke up to get ready for work. I walked outside to start my car to warm it up, but it wasn't there. At first, I thought it was one of my goofy ass friends pulling something on me. So I called all my friends at 5am to let them know the "joke" wasn't funny. They all strongly denied it and of course were pissed off that i called them that early. So i reported it to the PD. At about noon that day, it was found about 10 miles north of town in some rancher's field. To say the least, i was pissed! They drove through a barbed wire fence, spun a bunch of shitties, and stole everything out of the car.

I know this is not as serious as a crime as others were talking about, but this car was all i had at the time. To this day, i still think it was somebody i knew that had a grudge against me. But I've never found out who did it.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Strong armed robbery attempt while at work. I got thrown around and bruised up, but he didn't get anything. Responding officers were fantastic, especially when they realized I was initially more mad than scared. They made sure I wasn't hurt, took my verbal statement, had me write up a report, took evidence and asked if they managed to catch him if I wanted to press charges.(hell yeah I'm going to press charges) The nerves kicked in later. It got printed up as a small blurb in the paper, and customers would come in asking if I was the one he tried to rob. One elderly blind gentleman said something I'll never forget. He asked me if it was me, and I admitted that yes, it was. He reached his hand out to me, held my hand for a moment, and thanked me for standing up to the guy instead of backing down. Said that it took courage to do what I did, and he was thankful that I wasn't hurt, that my town needed more people willing to do what I did.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJasonMN View Post
    A few times delivering food late at night in the hood I had that feeling "Well, here's where I get robbed and killed" but nothing came of it.

This Feb. I went to the doc's office for ONE hour, came back and my place was burglarized. 3 guns stolen, including a newly purchased 226 and a BRAND new M4. Also lost my computer, 360, digital camera, and a couple hundred dollars in cash/coin I was saving for Vegas. Buttfuckers even stole my backpack for school.

We're sitting around waiting for the ID tech to show and the patrol chick goes "Peter, what would you have done if you'd been home when they broke in?" Mind you this is well after she knew guns were missing. I look at her, she looks at me. I look at her, she looks at me. "OOOOOOOOOOOOOH yeah I suppose huh???" I point by the threshold and go "Well, there'd be a body right about there."

Two things that REALLY pissed me off about it, besides the burglary itself: Even though I told dispatch that multiple firearms were stolen,they still prioritized it a bottom level burglary. AND..the kicker...I go riding with nsb22's Sgt, and we enter the serial #'s of the firearms through NCIC. FOUR MONTHS LATER it's saying "No file found" or something to that effect.

I go home and fire off an email to the Chief asking WTF is going on. We come to find out the dip-dunk, coffee drinking, ass-sitting, union protected dumb biatch whose job it is to enter said firearms into NCIC "Didn't feel like entering" mine into the system, so she never got around to it. I nearly drove down to the PD right then and there to smack her head off the fucking counter, but I knew even if I went there her fat ass probably would have been on a break anyways and she'd have been nowhere to be found.

---Signed,

Bitter in Minnesota
    We'd have the firearms listed in NCIC before we finished our paperwork.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Was the victim of a rather expensive car prowl, but not a serious crime, fortunately.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Yes, someone stole my virginity once. I felt so dirty inside. Luckily the officer was very caring and helpful.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Fortunately I've never been the victim of a serious crime, but when I was living with my parents I heard a noise outside and looked out of the window in time to see someone drive off in one of my parents' cars. It was one of the few nights they hadn't put it in the garage.

Our garage was broken into many years ago, but the would-be thief was stopped by our German Shepherd, my dad, and our neighbor (who was also a cop).

hush29 is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Yes, someone stole my virginity once. I felt so dirty inside. Luckily the officer was very caring and helpful.
    LOL
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    As a young adult my manager and I were the victims of two armed robberies within the same month by the same guys. This happened late at night at a Pizza delivery store that I used to work at. We felt extremely violated that someone would do this, especially after the second one. However, we cooperated as its wasn't our money and even if it was it is not worth a human life. They chose to commit a different robbery in another town. It was at a restaurant and they were caught in the act. A young woman was killed in a traffic collision at a busy intersection with a police car enroute to the scene nearby. The information we submitted to the police was instrumental in connecting these robberies together. All of this eventually went to trial and because of the circumstances with the accident, these guys were put away for a long time. Unfortunately they plea bargained to the lesser offenses because they were going to get charged with causing the traffic collision. What I didn't get at the time but I agreed with my manager on was that one of the suspects wife/girlfriend cried sour grapes at us for putting her husband/boyfriend away. It was his choice to do the crime. We were just witnesses to the crime.

I have also had a car stolen from me but that was my fault cause I left the keys in it. These suspects were caught driving it a week later and I got the car back not much worse for the wear.

I also have had stuff stolen from me that wasn't pinned down at my current place of residence. Suspected a neighbor that we had been having problems with for lurking around our property. They were later evicted by park management for not paying the rent and generally causing problems for various residents.

The feelings of being violated were severe in each case but it has taught me that Karma usually comes around and in each case it bit them in the ass.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Friend of mine had her car stolen. The thieves got it just shy of a block down the road before it crapped out on them (it was a serious POS) and they left it with a note and $5. The note read "you need this more than we do."
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

PeterJasonMN Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Yes, someone stole my virginity once. I felt so dirty inside. Luckily the priest was very caring and helpful. And I got a Snickers and a Coke!

PeterJasonMN Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
    We'd have the firearms listed in NCIC before we finished our paperwork.

You had me at hello

I told my buddy on patrol here about the talk I had w/the Chief re: the policy change. He was going on about "I don't see how they're going to get us to do that, blah blah blah". I was like "Well, he's pissed, so I think it's going to happen".

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    The first summer I lived in Key West, my b/f had gone back to MA for the summer and I was living alone. I went to bed one night and had the AC on in my room. When I came out the next morning my house had been broken into while I was asleep in the next room. I felt scared and vulnerable. I called the police and they said they had my pocketbook that had been on the couch. A neighbor had found it and turned it in. The rest of the items taken were never recovered. The police were not real supportive or helpful and barely took the time to take a report. I closed everything at night after that and closed the hurricane shutters on the windows every night. I was that terrified that they would come back. Which they did by the way about 4 months later. My b/f was home by then. They broke in during the day and stole money out of my underwear drawer. I threw all my underwear out after that. I couldn't stand the thought that some pervert had been playing with my undies.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    home was broke into and car stolen before I joined law enforcement. I went getto because I knew it was the kid next door. my wife and friends had to restrain me.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information