Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Arlington National Cemetery Facts

Arlington Mansion and 200 acres of ground immediately surrounding it were designated officially as a military cemetery June 15, 1864, by Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton.

More than 300,000 people are buried at Arlington Cemetery.

Veterans from all the nation's wars are buried in the cemetery, from the American Revolution through the Iraq and Afghanistan. Pre-Civil War dead were reinterred after 1900.

The federal government dedicated a model community for freed slaves, Freedman's Village, near the current Memorial Amphitheater, Dec. 4, 1863. More than 1,100 freed slaves were given land by the government, where they farmed and lived during and after the Civil War. They were turned out in 1890 when the estate was repurchased by the government and dedicated as a military installation.

In Section 27, are buried more than 3,800 former slaves, called "Contrabands" during the Civil War. Their headstones are designated with the word "Civilian" or "Citizen."

Arlington National Cemetery and Soldiers Home National Cemetery are administered by the Department of the Army. All other National Cemeteries are administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs, or the National Park Service.

Arlington House (Custis-Lee Mansion) and the grounds in its immediate vicinity are administered by the National Park Service.

The flags in Arlington National Cemetery are flown at half-staff from a half hour before the first funeral until a half hour after the last funeral each day. Funerals are normally conducted five days a week, excluding weekends.

Funerals, including interments and inurnments, average 28 a day.

With more than 300,000 people buried, Arlington National Cemetery has the second-largest number of people buried of any national cemetery in the United States. Arlington National Cemetery conducts approximately 6,400 burials each year. The largest of the 130 national cemeteries is the Calverton National Cemetery, on Long Island, near Riverhead, N.Y. That cemetery conducts more than 7,000 burials each year.

The Tomb of the Unknowns is one of the more-visited sites at Arlington National Cemetery The Tomb is made from Yule marble quarried in Colorado. It consists of seven pieces, with a total weight of 79 tons. The Tomb was completed and opened to the public April 9, 1932, at a cost of $48,000.

Three unknown servicemen are buried at the Tomb of the Unknowns:

A joint-service casket team holds a U.S. flag outstretched above the casket bearing the remains of the Vietnam Unknown, while President Ronald Reagan places a wreath at the casket's head during entombment ceremonies at Arlington National Cemetery.

Unknown Soldier of World War I, interred Nov. 11, 1921. President Harding presided. Unknown Soldier of World War II, interred May 30, 1958. President Eisenhower presided. Unknown Soldier of the Korean Conflict, interred May 30, 1958. President Eisenhower presided, Vice President Nixon acted as next of kin. An Unknown Soldier of the Vietnam Conflict, interred May 28, 1984. President Reagan presided. The remains of the Vietnam Unknown were disinterred May 14, 1998, and were identified as those of Air Force 1st Lt. Michael J. Blassie, whose family has reinterred him near their home in St. Louis, Mo. It has been determined that the crypt at the Tomb of the Unknowns that contained the remains of the Vietnam Unknown will remain empty.) The Tomb of the Unknowns is guarded by the U.S. Army 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The 3rd U.S. Infantry (The Old Guard) began guarding the Tomb April 6, 1948.

On July 24, 1998, U.S. Capitol Police Officers John Michael Gibson, 42, and Jacob Joseph Chestnut, 58, were killed in the line of duty. They are buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Special Agent Gibson is buried in Section 28. Officer Chestnut, a retired Air Force master sergeant, is buried in Section 4.

In addition to in-ground burial, Arlington National Cemetery also has one of the larger columbariums for cremated remains in the country. Seven courts are currently in use, with over 38,500 niches.

When construction is complete, there will be nine courts with a total of over 60,000 niches; capacity for more than 100,000 remains. Any honorably discharged veteran is eligible for inurnment in the columbarium.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Did you see in the news where the supreme court does not want crosses on federal property DUH Are they going to pull all these crosses, I think not.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Bunch of dunces. They better not disrespect our fallen like that.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I doubt they're going to pull the crosses, but they are starting to include symbols of other faiths.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    The changing of the guard is the most moving and impressive thing that I think I have ever seen. Amazing.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

PeterJasonMN Guest
    The National Geographic special on Arlington is utterly fucking amazing. Half the time your jaw is on the floor and the other half you're almost (if not) in tears.

Parts you get to see include how the burial crew prepares each grave, to the inch; the process by which you become a guard for the Tomb, and a lot of the behind the scenes activity for a funeral. They have women who represent each branch of the service, and they sit as a personal attendant with the veteran's family. In quite a few instances the only people at the funeral who aren't the preacher are a family member and the representative.

It was so moving that after watching it I was basically just a wreck for the rest of the day. It was one of those things you never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    Did you see in the news where the supreme court does not want crosses on federal property DUH Are they going to pull all these crosses, I think not.

That was a FALSE rumor back in 2003. You may read about it at SNOPES.Com

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/cemetery.asp
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Peterjasonmn I agree that was one of the best programs I had seen in awhile.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

PeterJasonMN Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlaw View Post
    Peterjasonmn I agree that was one of the best programs I had seen in awhile.
    The Sgt. in charge of selection was awesome.

Verified LEO
    Thanks for the correction Papabear

Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    Thanks for the correction Papabear
    You are more than welcome!

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    I tell you, I served in an Honor Guard unit while stationed at West Point and I have served in numerous funerals, as a pallbearer, firing detail and NCO in charge of the detail. We always prepared alot for those details, and we all took this mission very seriously. Those people assigned to the "Old Guard" used to teach us how to do all of that. They were probably the most Stract and professional soldiers I ever dealt with. They work real hard on what they do and they all do an excellant job in performing these missions with honor and respect.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Verified LEO
    The old guard cannot drink or smoke for the entire duration of their assignment and after separating from the guard have to turn in their honor guard insignia if they take 1 drink or smoke. It's a lifelong commitment. My hat is off to them.

Illiy is offline Corporal
    After reading all the posts I went to youtube to check out videos on the changing of the guard and even in the videos you can see the pride they take in their service... truly amazing...

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO

You gotta go!

I had the opportunity to visit Arlington about 7 years ago. It was one of the most moving experiences of my life. I got off the tram and walked for about two hours. The headstones read like the history of this country. I watched the changing of the guard at the Tomb and visited the grave of a friend who died in Vietnaam.

If you do nothing else in the D.C. area, you have to go there. You must also see the Wall. I was startled to see my name on the Wall. Obviously, it wasn't me but to see someone with your exact same name makes you wonder..... I was in from 1966 to 1970 but didn't get to Nam. I spent four years in Europe and the Middle East.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I urge you guys to ask CountyBear about the Arlington Cemetary. He has an enormous amount of knowledge on the subject.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    On July 24, 1998, U.S. Capitol Police Officers John Michael Gibson, 42, and Jacob Joseph Chestnut, 58, were killed in the line of duty. They are buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Special Agent Gibson is buried in Section 28. Officer Chestnut, a retired Air Force master sergeant, is buried in Section 4.

Both Co-Workers and friends of mine. R.I.P

I went to the Law Enforcement Memorial wall and made a copy of their names by putting a piece of paper on the wall and using a pencil.

I keep it in my locker so I can remember the sacrifice they made, and to remind me how dangerous our job is.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I would love to see the National Geographic special on this...please share when you know it is on again.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
    Both Co-Workers and friends of mine. R.I.P

I went to the Law Enforcement Memorial wall and made a copy of their names by putting a piece of paper on the wall and using a pencil.

I keep it in my locker so I can remember the sacrifice they made, and to remind me how dangerous our job is.
    May they rest in peace; and, may you always remember.

Thread Information