Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Why are you happy when your favorite sports team wins and sad when it loses?

Why are you happy when your favorite sports team wins and sad when it loses?

1*girl Guest
    Jenna...

You need to get out more.

Bosco3379 is offline I'm the one in the middle
    I'm not even gonna touch this one
    Former member of the LNC

Will take verbal abuse for spare change

Some Of My Wicked Awesome Signature Banners

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    I dunno

or

Good question. For me, and my state, the primary sport is college football.

I, as well as any fan, know our hopes won't be conveyed through the radio or TV. The fans in the stadium are more likely to be heard, but about as little impact even with home field advantage.

There's that. Looking to pull together with neighbors for mutual beliefs. History is rife with losing causes, but most who won stuck together.

People like to align themselves with strong groups for mutual protection. Never mind that a college football player isn't going to stand guard outside your home : he's on your team. You support his team. Its mutually supportive all around. Nothing actually happened between the parties either way, but both feel better.

Its all bogus. Everyone knows that going in. Most people still do by the end of the game, though there are some who need the peace and quiet of a working week for recovery.

This part is more emotional entertainment. There is stress relief in believing invulnerability for a short time each week. Teenagers enjoy that belief for years. Adults can benefit from the same sort of escapism.

The success or failure of a team, be it high-school, college, professional can change the economic reality of a region. Economic fans are quieter during the game, but more likely to buy products, donate funds to the program, etc. Its business.

Why do people cheer for a win?

Why not? Someone will win in sport and its better if its the home team.

Or I dunno. Probably that.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I generally tick off a lot of people when I talk sports. Actually I have better things to do than worry about than who wins what game. Uhhh...it's a game. If people would put as much worry into achieving solutions to todays degradation issues as they worry about sports amazing things would happen.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I generally tick off a lot of people when I talk sports. Actually I have better things to do than worry about than who wins what game. Uhhh...it's a game. If people would put as much worry into achieving solutions to todays degradation issues as they worry about sports amazing things would happen.
    :highfive:

The only sport I care about is hockey, and even at that I only check my team once a month or so!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    When I'm working one of our University football games, I care about two things:
    the food at the tailgating, and when I'm going to get my $250-$300 check!

Whether the team wins or loses, is irrelevant. Food & money. That's where it's at. Nomesayin'?

Oh, and to go home after the game, since my belly's full and I'm usually whupped by then.

Feed me - pay me - let me go home! Rah-rah!!

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    Nomesayin'?

Haha! Yep!
    I agree but understanding that might be a Southern thang.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Jenna, it's called empathy. Check into it.

Cajunguy, I'll admit, the only reason I've ever attended Super Bowl parties is for the food.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I could never quite get into sports because I don't feel it matters which side wins in a game. Sports teams all consist of similar kinds of players, and sometimes they even hire opposing teams' players. The players seem interchangeable, and no argument can be made for one team being more morally deserving of a win than another. In each game, one set of players win and an equal number of players lose; it seems to me that their sadness and happiness would cancel each other out and thus neither add to nor subtract from the sum total of human happiness.

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    I swear to God that you are a freakin computer program! Maybe you are like Data from Star Trek. What you just said is EXACTLY what he would have said!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    my sundays consist of football. i watch professional football. a lot. when im not watching nfl games, im watching the nfl network to see whats going on this week. since i moved from philly, i had to buy the direct tv nfl package in order to watch my eagles. its expensive, but worth every penny. and if the eagles lose, i am literally miserable and bitter for the first part of the week. so bitter that when i watch the nfl network when they mention the eagles loss i change the channel. this week they won, so im good to go.

theres just something about getting together, throwing on the game, downing a few beers and some wings, and really just getting lost in the moment.

my dad was this way, my friends from back home are this way, and its really just how i was brought up. ive played sports my entire life, and just am naturally competetive. since moving from philly, watching the eagles makes me feel like im back there. it makes me remember where i came from. i live and die with my team. some people cant understand this, and thats cool. for me it will aolways be part of my life.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

hush29 is offline Corporal
    my thoughts are basically what tapout said

+1 to tapout
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Thread Information