Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MRSA

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

MRSA

Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus, or MRSA, is in the news so use caution. Practice good hygeine habits and wash your hands frequently. Be careful of the people you contact.

From medspace.com:

Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus
    Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is one of the most common resistant organisms. Risk factors for developing an MRSA infection include:

Older age

Exposure to other patients with MRSA

Hospitalization (especially in an intensive care unit)

Invasive procedures

hospital stays

Prior and prolonged antibiotic therapy

Presence of a wound

Presence of intravenous lines, catheters, or endotracheal tubes

The most common sites of MRSA colonization are wounds, the nasopharynx, and the perineum. In the hospital setting, about a third of colonized patients develop an actual infection, often pneumonia and/or septicemia. In long-term facilities, more patients are colonized with MRSA, but a lower percentage develops invasive infections. The most important factors in avoiding the spread of MRSA are hand washing and glove use. Individuals with MRSA should be isolated, although groups of MRSA-colonized patients can be housed together, especially in long-term facilities.
    MRSA is very difficult to eradicate when it becomes endemic in a facility, and prolonged antibiotic use actually tends to promote the emergence of resistance. A major issue concerning MRSA involves guidelines for the transfer of MRSA-colonized patients to long term care facilities. Requirements that patients be treated to the point of MRSA eradication are unnecessary and actually counterproductive, because prolonged antibiotic treatment for this purpose causes greatly prolonged lengths of stay in the hospital with increased costs. It also promotes the emergence of resistant strains and can result in adverse effects from the antibiotics. Individuals with symptomatic infections from MRSA might benefit from treatment, generally using vancomycin. However, vancomycin-resistant or vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus (VISA) strains have emerged sporadically, which could become a major public health problem in the future. Two new antibiotics, linezolid and quinupristin/dalfopristin, have been developed that can be useful for combating VISA; they should be reserved for the most serious infections of this type to try to delay the emergence of resistance to these drugs.

From Webmd.com

What are the symptoms of MRSA?

Symptoms of a MRSA infection depend on where the infection is. If MRSA is causing an infection in a wound, that area of your skin may be red or tender. If you have pneumonia, you may develop a cough.
    Community-based MRSA commonly causes skin infections, such as boils, abscesses, or cellulitis. Often, people think they have been bitten by a spider or insect. Because MRSA infections can become serious in a short amount of time, it is important to see your doctor right away if you notice a boil or other skin problem.

How is an infection diagnosed?

If your doctor thinks that you are infected with MRSA, he or she will send a sample of your infected wound, blood, or urine to a lab. The lab will grow the bacteria and then test to see which kinds of antibiotics kill the bacteria. This test may take several days.

You may also be tested if your doctor suspects that you are a MRSA carrier-a person who has the bacteria on his or her skin but who is not sick. This is done by taking a swab from the inside of the nose.
    http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/m...-mrsa-overview
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    One of my co-worker's hubby went thru 2 bouts of Mersa a while back...nasty stuff.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It's already crept this way, schools are being professionally (think HAZMAT) cleaned in an effort to halt the spread.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Their's been an outbreak sure, but the media has turned this into a scare tactic. We need to be educating people, not scaring them into their houses for the rest of their lives. MRSA is not new, it's just another illness like the Asian Bird Flu and every other thing I have yet to get. When I think of this, I think of the Gov't and it's retarded terror alert meter.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Be careful of the people you contact.
    Oh, yeah... we'll just see how that works out for us.

"Dispatch, this is Deputy Monk, I'll only be dealing with criminals who wash regularly from now on. Thanks...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

jrae Guest
    My Med/Surg nursing class discussed MRSA for the material from my last exam. MRSA is a big deal. Most people have been exposed to it. Most people in the health care profession are carriers. In my opinion, it would be rare to meet someone in the profession that does not carry it.

Infection control is the key. We need to be educating people how to properly wash their hands. This may sound stupid to some, but there are many out there that do not wash their hands correctly.

When being hired at my hospital, the infection control staff gives a lecture on handwashing. They use a lotion you are supposed to wash your hands with. The germs are only detected by a black light. When putting your hands under the black light, it shows the problem areas where germs are often missed when you wash your hands.

When we teach people to do it correctly, we teach them to sing the happy birthday song to themselves. The length of the song is the correct amount of time it takes to be considered "clean."

lynnz05 is offline Corporal
    We've had a few in our establishment with that.
    What I say is my opinion, not my employers or that of my academic institution.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jrae View Post
    MRSA is a big deal.

Nod, it is.

I wrote an article on it with some facts on how many are carriers, etc.

Nasty shit.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jrae Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Nod, it is.

Nasty shit.

you should post your article

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Reca has it for the new front page.

See if he'll give it to you for critique. You are probably learning more about it than we are.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Nod, it is.

Nasty shit.
    The guy I know that got it is a cop. He thought it was a spider bite that got infected. His was treatable, but then he got it again. He ended up in the hospital for a little while. They ended up doing some serious disinfecting of all their bedding, and steam cleaning the carpets and furniture.

My former Mother-in-Law is a retired nurse, and the doctor she worked for predicted we would have serious problems with "super-bugs" 30 years ago, with our over-fondness for antibiotics. We've compounded the problem with antibacterial "everything."

jrae Guest
    My sister actually had MRSA. She had a cut on her leg, and it developed a hard knot around it. It was very sensitive to touch. She was very sick. She had to see a doctor for about a month. Now, she has to be extremely careful when she gets a suspected infection.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think we've compounded the problem a different way.

There is no money in antibiotic research any more, everyone is trying to kill AIDS or whatever the cause du jour is.

The companies stopped developing new antibiotics when other things distracted them, and are only now directing focus there again.

There are several antibiotics that will kill MRSA, but eventually another bug will evolve.
    I'm your huckleberry...

jrae Guest
    The problem with antibiotics is that they are over prescribed. When people go to the doctor, they expect to be given an antibiotic even when they do not need one. By taking these antibiotics, the body develops immuntiies to the strains of bacteria. We all had better be careful because we are putting ourselves in danger. What happens when our bodies no longer respond to antibiotics?????

The answer is that we will all be veryyyyyyyy sick with not way of fighting the infection.

So back to my point.........HANDWASHING AND INFECTION CONTROL IS THE KEY.

SING HAPPY BIRTHDAY WHILE YOU WASH YOUR HANDS.....

On another note...just f.y.i. several kinds of hepatitis are spread by the fecal-oral route. This means people need to wash their hands after using the bathroom and before handling foods, etc.

I think we've compounded the problem a different way.

There is no money in antibiotic research any more, everyone is trying to kill AIDS or whatever the cause du jour is.

The companies stopped developing new antibiotics when other things distracted them, and are only now directing focus there again.

There are several antibiotics that will kill MRSA, but eventually another bug will evolve.
    They've stopped making basic vaccines too. We are down to only one US manufacturer of the Tetanus vaccine, and pre-Katrina, we were already in a shortage.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    They've stopped making basic vaccines too. We are down to only one US manufacturer of the Tetanus vaccine, and pre-Katrina, we were already in a shortage.
    Nod.

jrae made her point about overuse of antibiotics, and I won't disagree with her.

I still think we should be able to adapt faster than the bugs.
    I'm your huckleberry...

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    several kinds of hepatitis are spread by the fecal-oral route
    Are you getting this Conalabu? Stop kissing so much ass or you'll turn yellow, shrivel up, and die...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    The guy I know that got it is a cop. He thought it was a spider bite that got infected. His was treatable, but then he got it again. He ended up in the hospital for a little while.

The very same thing happened to a friend of mine a few weeks ago, she thought it was a spider bite as well but ended up hospitalized for a few days.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    This kind of stuff happens because morons believe they know better than doctors who prescribe antibiotics, and stop taking their meds before they finish the dose. This creates resistant bacteria, and screws over everyone else. Doctors don't go to school for half their lives to come out not knowing basic biology, people, so just F'n do what they tell you to do.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    This kind of stuff happens because morons believe they know better than doctors who prescribe antibiotics, and stop taking their meds before they finish the dose. This creates resistant bacteria, and screws over everyone else. Doctors don't go to school for half their lives to come out not knowing basic biology, people, so just F'n do what they tell you to do.
    That's true. Too often, some people start feeling better before they've finished the antibiotic course and they don't think that they need to take them any longer, so they stop. Then when they have a cold or something later, they'll start taking the antibiotics left over from the previous illness.

Unfortunately there are also doctors out there who will prescribe antibiotics because a patient demands it, even though an antibiotic will not treat a viral illness. That contributes to the problem as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information