Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Accident Report Supplement

This is a supplement to a bricklayer's accident report, which was printed in the newsletter of the Australian equivalent of the Workers' Compensation board. This is a true story. Had this guy died, he'd have received a Darwin Award for sure.

Dear Sir,

I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block 3 of the accident report form. I put 'poor planning' as the cause of my accident. You asked for a fuller explanation and I trust the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six-story building. When I completed my work, I found that I had some bricks left over which, when weighed later were found to be slightly in excess of 500 lbs.

Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley, which was attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at ground I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope, holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the bricks. You will note in Block 11 of the accident report form that I weigh 135 lbs. Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building in the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel, which was now proceeding downward at an equally impressive speed. This explained the fractured skull, minor abrasions and the broken collar bone, as listed in section 3 of the accident report form.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley.

Fortunately by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope, in spite of beginning to experience pain at approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel.

Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, that barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs. I refer you again to my weight.

As you can imagine, I began a rapid descent, down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and several lacerations of my legs and lower body.

Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks, in pain, unable to move, I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope and I lay there watching the empty barrel begin its journey back down onto me. This explains the two broken legs.

I hope this answers your inquiry.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

ICE35 is offline Rookie
    No worries mate...

PeterJasonMN Guest
    Someone didn't watch Mythbusters.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    I am utterly speechless
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well that sure sucks....

anyone care to snopes this???
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    That was a monologue that was used by a radio personality back in the 50/60's. Can't remember the guys name but he was a war time comic. So the story is not true, just a modern rehash of an old classic.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Well that sure sucks....

anyone care to snopes this???

For you, jmur, of course.

http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/bricks.asp

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    For you, jmur, of course.

Buttercup, he'll never learn if you do everything for him, now will he?
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    Buttercup, he'll never learn if you do everything for him, now will he?

I know.

PeterJasonMN Guest
    When Mythbusters did this they used the normal barrel they'd used for hauling bricks up. To get the barrel to break they had to bust all the safety bands off. And even then they were still pretty tough.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Untrue, I know, but still funny as hell.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Illiy is offline Corporal
    +1 Ducky...

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I know it isn't true but come on this is funny!!!

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    I know it isn't true but come on this is funny!!!
    Some people are unable to envision something written down and are, therefore, disassociated with the humor in a piece. And, as you say, it is, IMHO, extremely funny - true or not!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I don't care if its true or not I'm sitting here with a sore gut and tears streaming down my face from laughing so hard.and my daughter said she wet herself.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Thread Information