Welcome to the APBWeb.
    copjak is offline Rookie

Pipe Bomb Incident

LHCPD Investigating Pipe Bomb Incident
    On Monday, October 29, at approximately 3:49 p.m., Lake Havasu City Police Department officers responded to a single vehicle non-injury accident in the 500 block of South McCulloch Boulevard. Upon arrival they discovered a rust colored, 1977 Chevrolet pickup truck that had apparently lost control and struck the southbound curb. Witnesses described the driver as a white male who fled the area prior to police arrival. During the investigation, officers observed what appeared to be a pipe bomb on the passenger side of the vehicle. The device looked to be a copper pipe with soldered end caps and a fuse. Officers secured the area, evacuated nine surrounding residences and called upon LHCPD Bomb Technicians. Bomb techs analyzed the device and, due to its unknown contents and chemical stability, made the decision to detonate the device in place. At approximately 6:10 p.m. Bomb Techs used C-4 plastic explosive to detonate the device. No injuries and no damage to property other than the vehicle were reported.
    Above is a description of an event that took place in the town where I live. There is criticism in the handling of the situation by some residents. I feel they did the right thing, due to the fact they don't have a robot to pickup the device and place it into a containment container for transport. The closest robot is in a town 45-60 minutes away. Would it have been more prudent to call for them? I don't even know if they have a containment container to place a bomb into. I was never a bomb technician and would like to hear from those who where. Would you have done it differently with minimal equipment available?

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Good question.

If there are any bomb techs on the board, they might be more comfy answering this over on the law enforcement only side of the board.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they always detonate in place.

More Metro news
    PUBLIC SAFETY: REGIONAL EDITION
    Bomb found, detonated; I-5 closed several hours

UNION-TRIBUNE
    November 3, 2007
    SAN DIEGO: Sheriff's bomb-arson investigators detonated a pipe bomb that was found in a backpack on the side of Interstate 5 near La Jolla Village Drive yesterday.

The investigation caused a traffic nightmare as authorities closed the freeway in both directions for more than three hours.
    Late yesterday afternoon, Oceanside police arrested Michael Buffalo, 46, who told investigators he left the pipe bomb on the right shoulder of the southbound lanes Tuesday when his car broke down.

Buffalo led officers to the device, and bomb-squad deputies pulled it down the embankment and detonated it.

“Unfortunately, we had to close the freeway, but that was the safest option,” said sheriff's bomb squad Sgt. Everard Dayrit.

The investigation began Thursday, when Oceanside police received a tip that someone was threatening to set off a bomb at the Vista Courthouse, said Oceanside police Sgt. Leonard Mata.

Officers were able to identify Buffalo as a suspect, and he volunteered to come to the police station for an interview. That's when he told them about the bomb on the side of the freeway, police said.

A search for more explosives in his Oceanside home on Dunes Place came up empty. –K.D. & A.M.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    In my experience, they usually detonate something right where it is. Think about it... to move it, they have to safely get it into some sort of transport vehicle that can (hopefully) safely contain the device while safely transporting it over the roads, through the community, to somewhere that they can safely detonate it. There's a lot of opportunity for something to go tragically wrong doing so.

I don't see anything wrong with the way this incident was handled. Patrol caught it, recognized the problem, took action to secure the community and let the pros deal with the potential bomb. I'd say it was pretty much textbook!

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Explosives are weird sometimes. A good o-man can take an explosive that would create a big boom and make the thing more or less implode instead of explode. Detonate in place keeps oops down to a minimum. Amazingly enough, it seems to me that the residents of which you speak have made a great guess out of no data. Gee. That never happens.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I just kick it. If it doesn't go off I throw it in the trash.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No injuries and no damage to property other than the vehicle were reported.-quote from the article

What is the problem with that outcome? This is what happens when our society gets to lawsuit happy. They look for any reason or made up mistake to take advantage of. Never mind that NO ONE WAS HURT. Lets start a community bomb squad and see how many people sign up and do a better job.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

LawnMM is offline Oppressor of Crackheads
    Sounds textbook to me, the critical residents are idiots. You don't move explosives, especially unknown explosives, if its at all possible. They already had a good perimeter set up, just detonate in place and tow the wrecked truck, whats the problem?

hush29 is offline Corporal
    There is criticism in the handling of the situation by some residents.
    Typical
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

copjak is offline Rookie
    Well, I thank you all for your input. I thought it was handled well but just wanted another opinion. Again Thanks

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    And guys, if you roll up on something like that - remember to turn off your cell phones//handi-talkies.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Besides which....you all got to see the asshole's truck blown up too.....what could be more fun than that? See....justice CAN be fun!!

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    And guys, if you roll up on something like that - remember to turn off your cell phones//handi-talkies.

Big plus one there PDawg.

A note for those who use trunked 800 radios. Bear in mind that when you turn off a trunked portable, it transmits briefly to tell the zone controller it is leaving the system.

Make sure you turn that portable off well away from the scene.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Moving the device will set it off if it has a mercury switch in it. Blow in place or have one of the criticizing civilians move it.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    Moving the device will set it off if it has a mercury switch in it. Blow in place or have one of the criticizing civilians move it.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

copjak is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Besides which....you all got to see the asshole's truck blown up too.....what could be more fun than that? See....justice CAN be fun!!

Car 4

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    There is criticism in the handling of the situation by some residents.

yeah like they all know what the hell to do with a bomb!
    geesh lol
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage