Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Democracy: How Long Do We Have?

HOW LONG DOES THE USA HAVE?

This is the most interesting thing I've read in a long time. The sad thing about it, you can see it coming.
    I have always heard about this democracy countdown. It is interesting and concerning to see it in print. God help us, not that we deserve it.

How Long Do We Have?

About the time our original thirteen states adopted their new constitution in 1787, Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years earlier:

'A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government.'

'A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.'

'From that moment on, the majority always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.'

'The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years'

'During those 200 years, those
    nations always progressed through the following sequence:

1. >From bondage to spiritual faith;

2. >From spiritual faith to great courage;

3. >From courage to liberty;

4. >From liberty to abundance;

5. >From abundance to complacency;

6. >From complacency to apathy;

7. >From apathy to dependence;

8. >From dependence back into bondage'

Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota, points out some interesting facts concerning the 2000 Presidential election:

Number of States won by:
    Gore: 19
    Bush: 29

Square miles of land won by:
    Gore: 580,000
    Bush: 2,427,000

Population of counties won by:
    Gore: 127 million
    Bush: 143 million

Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by:
    Gore: 13.2
    Bush: 2.1

Professor Olson adds: 'In aggregate, the map of the territory Bush won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of this great country.

Gore's territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements and living off various forms of government welfare...' Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the 'complacency and apathy' phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the 'governmental dependency' phase.

If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million criminal invaders called illegal and they vote, then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years.

Concerned ? We should be !
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    I was thinking we are already in the apathy state heading into dependance...
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I thought that's why our Founding Fathers went with a Republic, and not a true democracy.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Ok people, homework lesson.

Visit snopes.com (or lick on this http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/tyler.asp for you lazybones)

Agree with the sentiment all you like, just do the research first.

-Also available from Ducky "How to Be A Geek in 5 Easy Steps!" Order today!
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Snopes is not always correct. Barbara admits she did no research and depended upon a MIKE POWELL from WA for the answer. In the response, (she) wrote in part: "...there is no record of The Fall of The Athenian Empire or The Decline and Fall of The Athenia Republic. However, I have found this article:

http://www.freebuck.com/articles/ell...kruptcies1.htm
    ;
    And this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fall-Athenian-.../dp/0801499844 ;

and this: http://www.augie.edu/dept/history/athe.htm

I would also point out that Barbara has classified the information as "Multiple" which is open for the reader to make the determination of its accuracy or falsehood. The fact that a few statistics are minimally in error really does not alter the outcome of the final analysis - unless you are a Gore supporter. Our nation is currently in deep debt because of unnecessary wastes of the financial assistance we currently offer to those who liberally file for payments such as Aid for Dependant Children (when both parents are capable of working), SSDI (when the recipient has nothing greater than depression or asthama - which can be controlled), Unemployment (when totally capable of physical labor), etc.

We are our own worst enemy when we permit abuse of the system and that is what the good ladies - who shall remain nameless; but, one is running for a high political office; one holds a high political office and two are CA Senators, would have us continue to do for the good of their constituants.

Okay, off my soap box. I don't have to worry about it! Afterall, my SS was reduced by over 60% and I am quite happy (not) with my generous stipend - which, by the way, does not cover my medicare costs!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    And I spent about 30 seconds trying to figure out what *cemocracy* was
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I feel there is a lot to be said for a lack of fear that will contribute to the downfall of this country. No one fears that the government runs this country instead of it's people. No one fears this country may lack the ability to care for it's people due to catering to it's people. There is also a gross lack of fear of God himself. And that, disturbs me greatly.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Have you read my signature line concerning democrats? Interesting post PapaBear. You would enjoy this book....

http://books.google.com/books?id=af3...7EXDTap_rAwvnA

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    First off, the US is not a democracy. The US is a republic.

Lately, I've begun to believe we are enslaved again. I certainly don't want to give the federal government as much of my pay as I do, but I don't have a choice. If I refuse, then the government will use FORCE to take it from me.

IMO the US government is already, and has been since WWII, on the downward slope. The only thing that can save this country is either a revolution or serious reform. The government must be shaken down to it's Constitutional Roots. Roots we have long since smothered. The IRS needs to be dissolved. Acts like the Patriot Act need to be abolished. The federal government is a machine that has long since left control of the people.

But, that's just my opinion.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Who needs party rallies with red banner and slogans? The TV tube is the messenger of our downfall. People react (not think) and make "correct" decisions on the reality bought to them by the tube. Whose definitions? Whose reality? Bread and circuses from another forgotton lesson in history.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    In the misquoted words of Socrates...

If you don't like your country, leave.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I figure after 2009 things will go to hell in hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Have you read my signature line concerning democrats? Interesting post PapaBear. You would enjoy this book....

http://books.google.com/books?id=af3...7EXDTap_rAwvnA
    Thanks, it looks enticing. I will read it.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    In the misquoted words of Socrates...

If you don't like your country, leave.
    What if you love your country, and hate seeing it destroy itself?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    First off, the US is not a democracy. The US is a republic.

You are correct.

Lately, I've begun to believe we are enslaved again. I certainly don't want to give the federal government as much of my pay as I do, but I don't have a choice. If I refuse, then the government will use FORCE to take it from me.

www.FairTax.org
    That is a link to fundamental reform and a return of power to the people from government.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    That is a link to fundamental reform and a return of power to the people from government.
    Gee, Five-0... "Fair Tax"? What is that?

(Someone obviously hasn't read my sig line.)

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Wasn't really for you Rhino. I try my best to spread the word around when I can. Maybe someone else on this board will wake up and smell the coffee.

PeterJasonMN Guest
    Not to sound like a pessimist, but every day I wonder a little more if Nero is pulling his fiddle out of the case.

Verified LEO
    Wasn't really for you Rhino. I try my best to spread the word around when I can. Maybe someone else on this board will wake up and smell the coffee.
    Then preach on, brother! Since you quoted me I thought you were addressing me.

213th is offline Solipsist
    I have my extreme doubts as to the accuracy of SNOPES. That being said, regardless of the authenticity of the original content in this thread, I agree with the sentiment. The gov't has way more power then it should. Power should revert to the states and the people.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information