Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

How many 911 calls do you get per shift?

How many 911 calls do you get per shift? How many are actual crimes or emergencies?

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    I don't get any

I got to between 0 and 5 or 6 genuine emergencies where an offence is still in progress or there is a risk to life and limb a shift depending on the time of day and the day of the week.

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Emergency Services Dispatchers process over 1600 calls for law enforcement services each day, with approximately one third of those being 9-1-1 calls. In addition to providing communications services to the various divisions in the Sheriff's Department, the center provides communications services for a myriad of other county agencies, including Public Works, Roads Department, Probation, and the District Attorney's Office.

During the year of 2006, Sheriff’s Dispatchers handled approximately 161,000 9-1-1 calls, with the average caller only having to wait 3 seconds before their call was answered (the State recommended maximum average answering time is 10 seconds). Dispatchers answered approximately 453,000 calls on the administrative (non-emergency) lines, with the average caller only waiting 39 seconds.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

hush29 is offline Corporal
    I average about 2 or 3 a week. Most are misdials or hang-ups. When they are misdials or hang-ups, we still have to respond.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by hush29 View Post
    I average about 2 or 3 a week. Most are misdials or hang-ups. When they are misdials or hang-ups, we still have to respond.
    Those 911 hang-ups tend to be domestics more often than not.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

hush29 is offline Corporal
    Those 911 hang-ups tend to be domestics more often than not
    True, i get more DV's from 911 hang-ups than actual DV calls.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    The last year I ran our Comm Center (1988) we received about 650,000 calls with about 30% being emergency calls of one kind or another. I heard that the new Comm Center which has been moved out of the Seattle area for safety is doing about 900,000 calls a year. Calls for non emergency service have been going up and emergency calls have been going down. Not sure of the current balance.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    My department doesn't have a resident population, so most domestics I've gone to have been to assist a neighborning agency that was tied up. Most of them have been the 911 hang-up. They love to call their kid into the room and have them "admit" to calling the cops, while the injured party stays out of sight.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We actually get alot of 911 hang ups. We investigate. By investigate we go inside the residence to make sure there is no trouble. This is an incentive for people to be more careful with the service.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    We actually get alot of 911 hang ups. We investigate. By investigate we go inside the residence to make sure there is no trouble. This is an incentive for people to be more careful with the service.
    We get lot's of misdials. Lot's of people wanting to call Mexico - 011 prefix. People that want 411, well some of them misdial, some think we provide the same service. People that have to dial 9 for an outside line.

I've had people call 911 for the non-emergency line, forget to write it down, and call back on 911 again.

The those folks that think 911 is an all-purpose line. *sighs*
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Being in the rural and small town area I'm in it varies. Sometimes there won't be one for a couple of shifts, sometimes calls are almost non stop. More often we get calls for service on 911 that aren't urgent crimes, and we'll also get emergency calls on the non emergency number. Some people are just so used to calling it for every other bullshit reason it's etched in their brain when they do need us.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Is this common? Is it because the battering spouse forces the battered spouse to hang up?

I've never dialed 911 myself. I haven't experienced any crimes or medical emergencies in my adult life (knock on wood).

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

danninator is offline po-leece
    Verified LEO
    in the summer? 100

in the offseason probably 3-4

1-2 being actual emergencies
    No life 'til leather gunna kick some ass tonight.

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    In a shift? I would say I'm dispatched to anywhere between 4-8 911-related calls. I'm on graves, so most of them are SOME sort of crime in progress, though it may not necessarily be an actual emergency. Lots use it for stuff like car breakins, frauds in progress, etc.

Swings and days I'm going to 10+ usually.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Those of you who work in patrol but answered 0, where do most of your calls come from, if not 911? Do people in your town just call the non-emergency police line instead?

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Dispatched about (1-5) 911 calls a week. Being on 3rd, it is usually a DV, EMS, of crash calls. We get sent to a lot of county calls-mainly DV and crashes. We get about another 6-12 non-emergency calls in a week on thirds.

2nd shift here is nuts. They go in streaks. They will be running non-stop or be bored as hell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information