Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: What time did I wake up?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 pm - A solid 8 hours

1 3.85%
  • 8 pm - Wow....almost 12

3 11.54%
  • 11 pm - You must be sicker than you think...

6 23.08%
  • midnight - You should go to the doctor...

1 3.85%
  • 3 am (the next day) - 18 hours of sleep? You are worse than most crack heads

15 57.69%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I gots a cold

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

I gots a cold

So, on thursday I came down with a cold. Nothing serious, slightly sore throat, stuffy/itchy/runny nose.

But whenever I get a cold, I turn into a big, barely functioning baby. I worked thursday night with no problems. And Friday night wasn't much worse, but I could tell it was getting to me.

Saturday was my first of 3 nights off. So when I got home saturday morning, I called up momma and asked her to watch my dogs, so I could sleep all day (one of my dogs is still a puppy, needs to be taken outside frequently). So while I was sleeping, she came and picked up my dogs.

I went to bed shortly after 9 am. I woke up at...........

Answer to follow.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Josh, I know exactly where you are coming from. I hate colds. Ain't there some kind of new cold stuff out? Starts with a Z?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Hope you feel better soon.

PeterJasonMN Guest
    Pansy

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Josh, I know exactly where you are coming from. I hate colds. Ain't there some kind of new cold stuff out? Starts with a Z?
    I assume you're talking about Zicam.

I've been using the nasal spray, hasn't been too effective.

I normally stick with juices with lots of vitamin C, and cold medicine that loosens snot so I can blow it out.

The Zicam nasal spray is supposed to do that, but it's not working for me. I used to use this nasal spray that was like shooting chlorinated water up my nose. As unpleasant as that sounds, it was AWESOME. You know how you get a runny nose when your in a pool? This stuff did the same thing, cleared my nose right out.

The worst part of it all, I've had 4 broken noses. So my nasal passages are all fugged up, making it difficult to blow my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJasonMN View Post
    Pansy
    Screw you.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    In the spirit of fantasy football, I present this weeks injury report:

jmur5074 - Questionable (head)
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Colds are very annoying, I hope that you're feeling better soon.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    A bartender I know used to make this for me when I had a cold. It was very soothing, seemed to help. To me, the honey and lemon are not optional and with no root available, she used about a teaspoon of ground ginger in hers. She strained it through a coffee filter.

Ginger Tea Recipe
    water, 4 cups
    2-inch piece of fresh ginger root
    optional: honey and lemon slice

Peel the ginger root and slice it into thin slices. Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Once it is boiling, add the ginger. Cover it and reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes. Strain the tea. Add honey and lemon to taste.
    Note: Keep in mind that if you are making ginger tea as a home remedy during cold and flu season, sweeteners are not recommended.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Being sick sucks. I'm kind of a big baby too when I'm sick, so I can't make fun of you this time. When I'm sick, I can sleep forever. I picked 18 hours.

1*girl Guest
    Ah the differences between men and women. Men get to act like babies when they get sick but we don't. So unfair. I say you got a regular 8 hours of sleep like the rest of us and went about your day from there. :P

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I've come close to sleeping around the clock when I get sick, so I picked 18. Zicam now has something you mix with juice or whatever, if you decide to try it, let me know how it works.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I picked 18 hours as well. It seems to follow from the logic of the buildup. Sleep is beneficial for your immune system, so I hope you are sleeping a lot.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm the same way man, I could sleep for a week straight when I'm sick. Went with 18 hours
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    J that crap has and is going around here. There isnt anything Drs give that is too effective they just say drink plenty of orange juice. I have been waking up for the past few days with a sore throat and a cough.

lynnz05 is offline Corporal
    I'm recovering from something myself. I thought I had a cold for about a week but the night before it would have been a week I was up all night coughing really hard, hard enough to cause tears. So the next day, I went to the doctor. He told me I had allergies (which I've never had in my life)? and gave me some allegra, Nasonex (works like a charm) and then an antibiotic. I'm not sure really why I got an antibiotic for allergies but either way, I'm still coughing, just not as much. But I think last night was the first night I got a good sleep for weeks so who knows, maybe that will help
    What I say is my opinion, not my employers or that of my academic institution.

Evans is offline Term # 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 1*girl View Post
    Ah the differences between men and women. Men get to act like babies when they get sick but we don't. So unfair. I say you got a regular 8 hours of sleep like the rest of us and went about your day from there. :P
    but most females act like babies all the time.. so it evens out! jk 1*

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    wow..what a bunch of cry babies

Suck it up!
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The answer is 11 pm. I slept for about 14 hours straight.

I would have slept longer, but my mom brought my dogs back over around 8 pm, and when I woke up at 11 I figured my pup would need to go out, so I got up and let him out.

I've been sleeping on and off throughout the day still.

I would have to say one of the worst parts about getting a cold is when your nose gets all chapped up. The best feeling is blowing a load of snot out of your nose, and clearing up the nasal passages. But when your nose gets chapped, even that's annoying!!!

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Better your nose than your ass.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Roses is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I would have to say one of the worst parts about getting a cold is when your nose gets all chapped up. But when your nose gets chapped, even that's annoying!!!
    You should consider buying Puffs with lotion. Use a little vaseline on the chapped area. Make yourself some home made chicken soup. Take a long warm hot shower to help clear your nose. Gargle with warm salt water to ease the soreness in your throat.
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information