Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do you like

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

Why do you like

Ok so i am trying to do some information gathering from members. Why do you like LEF. What sets it apart from other sites. If you were trying to tell other people about LEF what would you say. If you dont want to post your response PM me

Thank you

carolina is offline Master Officer
    The members!

Being a civilian, for me it's a combination of things. Long ago, I was just doing some research and stumbled across o.com and was invited here, but for me ...

1) The members - you guys/gals are hilarious and I've grown to really enjoy reading the comments.

2) Lots of information - Law intrigues me, i know it's weird ... My daughter is a criminal justice major and it helps me to have a clue about what she's studying ... topics that can help with classes, and gives her a good place to seek advice or search archives for information when needed. Plus, I feel like I have grown to know many of you well enough that if I had a serious question, I'd feel comfortable in knowing I could believe it.

3) My son is in the military, so in a sense, it's just another form of LE or government imposed enforcement.

4) You play, cut up, and generally have a great time ... don't put up with known BS ... and that's pretty awesome even from a civi's point of view.... you allow some of us that are not in LE to join in the reindeer fun too ...

Carolina ...

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The atmosphere and networking. I like to come here and associate with other cops and supportive civilians. I do not get to go many places where I can associate with civilians that are supportive in what we do. Here, even if a civilian member were to, say, receive a citation.. they may not like it but would be supportive of the officer in doing their job. That's rare to come by.
    I like the brother/sisterhood associations. I know that if I need a question answered in any location we have a member I can contact that member and receive what information I need.
    This is an informative site with a great atmosphere and the ability to network with a great group of people.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    The fact that I can come here and not be sensored is nice. If I feel like saying something that some bleeding heart retard wouldn't like, I don't have to worry about that bleeding heart retard running to the site staff.

The site staff is awesome as well since they won't deal with all the bullshit from stupid people.

The members are great as well. Me being a rook and all, it's nice to hear the stories and advice from the more experienced officers.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The diversity of the members. There is something for every one that is or has an interest in LE.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    LEF gives me a chance to meet and learn from people who know where the sidewalk ends because they catch people who fall off it. Their insights help me gain a richer understanding of the world. They also have an unusually strong sense of ethics and civic duty, and I feel that hanging out with this crowd can make me a better person and a better citizen.

I used to hang out on other law enforcement forums, but now LEF is the only one I participate in on a regular basis. LEF is really addictive because I feel I've gotten to know and like a lot of the members and their distinct personalities and warped senses of humor , and I want to keep up with what is going on in their lives.

Other forums are either larger with more transient populations that are harder to get to know personally and more likely to get into flame wars because they see each other as internet caricatures rather than people, or smaller and lacking regular activity. LEF is just the right size. LEF's site staff also manage to achieve exactly the right balance between freedom and moderation--not so controlled as to be dull or overly restrictive, but not so laissez-faire that the site gets overrun by flame wars. It's a delicate balance and I'm amazed how well they manage to pull it off. My hat's off to all of you; here's hoping the site lives long and prospers.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I enjoy this site for a number of reasons.
    I have friends here. It's odd but I consider many of the people on here good friends and I would do just about anything I could to help them out if was able. These are people I have never really met and I have only talked to a few of them by phone. To me that's odd but it's something unique that I attribute to LEF's set-up. I know that the officers here are real officers that have been checked out to the best of the site staff's ability and the civilians on here are supportive of LEO and that if they weren't, they wouldn't be on here for long.
    The members on this site are quick witted and sharp with their humor and they are also thick skinned. I love nothing more than picking on friends and getting it handed right back to me. The humor here is great, the play-fighting hilarious and the other humor is very entertaining.

The leadership here is great, they allow and encourage the site staff to regulate what goes on here just to the right extent. Members here have alot of freedom, which allows more accurate and true feelings, opinions, and info to come out. People here are basically polite but if they have something to say that is not perfectly PC, they can feel comfortable saying it.

The site is like having company, good friends, sitting in your living room having a great BS session, but they are there at your leisure.

Over all I would have to say it's just the sense of camraderie and friendship the site provides, along with practical information that I learn from others doing the same job I do.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I get along well with the type of people who are drawn to law enforcement careers - serious when required, mainly conservative, patriotic, honest and fun when reasonable. A lot of people are hired as cops because they display good judgement - it's refreshing to hang around people like that when I'm surrounded by idiots I can't trust on any given day.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK View Post
    Ok so i am trying to do some information gathering from members. Why do you like LEF. What sets it apart from other sites. If you were trying to tell other people about LEF what would you say. If you dont want to post your response PM me

Thank you
    a while ago i wrote a long letter so to speak about why LEF is so great. Please get that from Term, I belive he has it. I also write as to why LEF is set apart from other sites.
    I dont know what ever happened to that idea but he said he was doing something with it.. which is fine
    Let me know if you don't get it from him, I may have it someplace but i would have to look deep in my files
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

HotTamale is offline Officer First Class
    I like this site because I can speak my mind and not worry about getting banned as long as it is not too bad.

I like how the staff moderates threads and is always on top of things.
    I like how people here don't take any shit from anyone, including myself.
    OPD Explorer Post #2235

I never thought there was such thing as a stupid question, then I became a security officer.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    First and foremost the members make this place as great as it is. Hands down this FORUM has the best make up of members I have ever been a part of. There is a wide range of diversity among the members which makes things better. Though we don't always agree, we usually have good discussions rather than arguments. To add to that, everyone here is pretty laid back for the most part too. I can pick on Jenna, Virginian, Reca, Buttercup and especially Lazy Fed, and vice versa. No one takes it personally because everyone knows it is good fun. And when it comes down to it, though we may never meet one another, we take care of our own here at LEF; we have seen that first hand with brethren in need.

Second is the verified areas. As a former mod here, I have faith in the mod squad's ability and diligence when it comes to the verification process. I feel more comfortable sharing in certain conversations, advice and/or information with other LEOs, and not having to worry about posers using the info in an unwanted manner. It is also a great place to network with other LEOs from all over.

Third is the moderators and admin. They do a damn good job of keeping this place free of unwanted trash, yet they maintain a good balance of freedom among people posting things that in other places would be censored.

"Stupid should hurt."

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It's addictive.. more to follow, once I've gotten the DTs out of the way.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO

Smile

I am retired and I miss it all. I can find the fun and friendship here that I miss. I enjoy the discourse....many very valuable opinions here and a great deal of experience as well. One of the things I loved most about my job was the ability to travel and meet other LEOs. I have always enjoyed learning about how it is done in other places.

Real folks doing real police work.....doesn't get any better. For me it is like reading "What Cops Know" again.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I can pick on Jenna, Virginian, Reca, Buttercup and especially Lazy Fed, and vice versa. No one takes it personally because everyone knows it is good fun.
    Every day I cry myself to sleep. Then I dream of you. You hurt so good.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    I also write as to why LEF is set apart from other sites.
    I dont know what ever happened to that idea but he said he was doing something with it.. which is fine
    That hasn't gone away.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    That hasn't gone away.
    thanks term
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Copper51 is offline Up all night
    1. Verified members. It's nice to know when you're talking to a fellow brother not a poser on the internet. There are many explorers, reserves, and other people out there that have a glimps in the law enforcement world, but on the internet they try to project a 10 yr veteran when they don't have a clue.

2. Don't have to be politically correct. If you have an idea or comment on something you can say it.

3. Verified members area. You can say whats on your mind or whats going on at work without the general public's input or bashing. It's nice talking to people who have the same experiences and know what it's like to be there.
    The statements and opinions made here are of Copper51's only. They do not reflect my department or the city I work for.
    So lay off, I'm offduty and spouting off.

Illiy is offline Corporal
    This is an everyone counts or no one counts type of place. Everyone sworn or civilian can feel good being here knowing that you won't be attacked (unless you deserve it!) and you can count on people. I can come here for advice, for a laugh or a good game of tetris... it isn't a place that has soo many members that you loose sight of things.

People are friendly... One of the things I really enjoy is the welcome threads...

It would be very difficult to compare LEF to another group....

OH! I love that it isn't cluttered with advertisements! Major kudos on that!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    First and foremost the members make this place as great as it is. Hands down this FORUM has the best make up of members I have ever been a part of. There is a wide range of diversity among the members which makes things better. Though we don't always agree, we usually have good discussions rather than arguments. To add to that, everyone here is pretty laid back for the most part too. I can pick on Jenna, Virginian, Reca, Buttercup and especially Lazy Fed, and vice versa. No one takes it personally because everyone knows it is good fun. And when it comes down to it, though we may never meet one another, we take care of our own here at LEF; we have seen that first hand with brethren in need.

...the moderators and admin. They do a damn good job of keeping this place free of unwanted trash, yet they maintain a good balance of freedom among people posting things that in other places would be censored.
    Hannibal, I could not have put it any better. I wholeheartedly agree.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I enjoy LEF because it's a website I can come to and talk to people who have similar interests as I do. The members are by far the best people I've ever communicated with on a forum, hands down. Plus, the fact that they have the verified leo, or other titles, is such a great tool because it eliminates wackers and wanna-bes who fake being cops on other police message boards. The mods are great, and I love the no tolerance policy against idiots and anti-law enforcement posts! Keep up the good work!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information