Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

illegal immigration, that type of thing.

one thing i've pondered for a while...we have a lot of illegal immigration, especially from Mexico.

should we give them an opportunity to become legal residents by way of military service?

say to them, "come over here, do 4 years of military service, and afterwards you can become a citizen?"

i'm sure it would attract a lot of people who want to get out of their current situations/lifestyles, while providing a surplus of people to our military...and in reality, 4 years of service is more than most Americans do.

i'm all for it on the basics. i know a guy who came over here on a Visa from South America, works his ass off etc etc....then had to go to Canada and stay on their program because we booted him. great guy, taxpayer, hard worker, smart, etc etc....but we boot him because of a 'numbers' policy.

anybody agree/disagree with the idea in principle? anybody that gives 4 years military to the USA should stay here with all rights and benefits, imo.

Kpdpipes is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    As far as i know Ender, that option is actually open to them right now. IIRC either Sec Def or Cheney just went out to Iraq this month to preside over a Naturalization ceremony with 100-something servicepeople getting their citizenship.

cashton is offline Officer First Class
    I think too many of them are here illegally by choice because they can make money tax free, commit crimes (thus make more money) and disappear without a trace, and if they get caught, they get a free trip home to visit their friends and family and then just come back over. I do not have a single problem with as many Mexicans coming over here as want to as long as they come LEGALLY and work and pay taxes and learn English. But our country being as ass backwards as they are seem to see it appropriate to give illegals government assistance, free or greatly discounted housing, money, health care, whatever they need and want plus they are making money under the table so they are able to live much better than I do being a natural born honest hard working American living in America.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post

i'm all for it on the basics. i know a guy who came over here on a Visa from South America, works his ass off etc etc....then had to go to Canada and stay on their program because we booted him. great guy, taxpayer, hard worker, smart, etc etc....but we boot him because of a 'numbers' policy.
    Same here. Had a friend from Venezuela come here on a visa for college. He became fluent in English, bought a car brand new, established credit, rented an apartment, had a part time job through college. Graduated with honors with an Electrical Engineering degree. Was offered several internships after school at big engineering and aerospace firms. Had a long term girlfriend. Couldn't accept any offers until he heard word on his Visa being renewed. He ended up being denied a visa, and literally faced deportation unless he left by a certain day. If he didn't have his passport stamped by that day, he was told he would never be able to obtain another visa for the foreseeable future. He had no other options other than to return to Venezuela, where there aren't many technical jobs, where he now has a management job at his father's business, and his degree goes unused. What a fucking waste.

I fucking hate our country's immigration policies sometimes.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It already exists. When I went through basic training we had several people who were not US citizens that were in my flight. Including one who learned most of his english vocabulary in basic.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Thread Information