Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Policing as a business?

We've all heard the smack talk from people who are anti police. But even on a pro-leo forum I wanted some input.

How much do you think policing has become a business? We're often accused of being revenue generators for local goverment as opposed to actually enforcing laws for the sake of safety.

Often times departments will have "performance standards" that they ask officers to meet. While quotas are illegal, do people still get the impression that this is a way of generating tax dollars? Or do you think it's legitimate to get officers off their butts and making the streets safer?
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think that traffic enforcement is part of our job. People that bitch about tickets are the types that aren't sorry about speeding or what ever, they are pissed about getting caught and being told NO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT. On the other hand, I don't like enforcement cameras. I say just do your job. You know what your responsibilities are. Let the whiners worry about driving with their heads up their asses.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I think that traffic enforcement is part of our job. People that bitch about tickets are the types that aren't sorry about speeding or what ever, they are pissed about getting caught and being told NO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT. On the other hand, I don't like enforcement cameras. I say just do your job. You know what your responsibilities are. Let the whiners worry about driving with their heads up their asses.
    I agree whole heartidly. I don't mind people bitching about it on stops for the same reason...it's because they got caught. The more they complain, the more notes I take that get added to the citation statement.

I also am not a big fan of enforcement cameras in general. However I think in a problem area a red light camera will serve as great deterrant since we can't always be there to enforce. But just randomly placing them "just because" isn't always necessary.

I have to get a laugh out of the radar trailers that out county places in various spots throughout the summer. Everyone brags that they just love to see how fast they can get it to read. I know some deputies and troopers who after it's been there for a while love to sit just down the road and in line of sight to use LIDAR on cars approaching the trailer.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    I have to get a laugh out of the radar trailers that out county places in various spots throughout the summer. Everyone brags that they just love to see how fast they can get it to read.

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Thread Information