Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

great high school football story...

blatantly stole this off another board, but its a great read and watch.

Dream fulfilled for Grantsville High School’s #1 dedicated manager plays in game with loving support of friends, foes

By David Gumucio
    News contributor

GRANTSVILLE, Utah — In a game between Morgan High School and Grantsville High that was all but over at 26-6 late in the fourth quarter, fans from both sides of Grantsville High’s Cowboy Stadium suddenly began to roar.

As a slight player, bearing the number 1, trotted out on the field, the roaring grew louder.
    The Oct. 19 game was out of reach for the Grantsville Cowboys, who had possession of the ball on their own 30-yard line with 1:53 remaining in the game. Cowboy assistant coach David Millward walked across the press box and spoke with his brother, assistant coach John Ed Millward of the Morgan High Trojans. "We'd like to put our manager in," Coach Millward said. "He's disabled, so your guys can't touch him."

The headsets of both teams were buzzing as the "right set of circumstances" started to unfold.
    Head coach Tony Cloward barked at his team: "Block like you've never blocked before. Collin's running the football!"

Uneasy, Coach Cloward stepped around the huddle and yelled over to Morgan's head coach, Kovi Christiansen, "Are we on?"

Coach Christiansen responded with the "OK" symbol. Looking Collin in the eyes, coach Cloward instructed, "You run straight toward me, understand?" Collin nodded. Concerned, he sent Collin onto the field.

The Grantsville student body stood chanting "Collin! Collin! Collin!" repeatedly as they filled the track behind the players. The atmosphere was electrifying, yet to Collin's mother it was an answer to prayer.

She said, "When I realized Collin was on the field I felt a peaceful reverence about it. I knew God's hand was in it. I felt God's love for my son and both teams. I knew he would be OK."

Collin Jefferies, an 18-year-old senior at Grantsville High, always dreamed about playing football. He had contracted potentially deadly meningitis when he was only seven months old, leading to a series of strokes that paralyzed his right arm and leg, cost him his hearing and left him mentally challenged with a shunt in his brain.

His parents, David and Carol Jefferies, soon noticed Collin's affection for playing, crawling and throwing a ball with great speed and accuracy. As he grew older, Collin first played little league soccer, then basketball, and before they knew it, he was in high school wanting to play football.

His mother, a second soprano in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, asked then-head coach Les Hamilton if her young freshman could help the football team. Coach Hamilton asked Collin to be the team manager, a challenge Collin didn't take lightly. According to his teammates, "A better manager can't be found." Mrs. Jefferies said, "Collin is passionate about everything he does. He loves the Lord and loves his Cowboys."

Collin's love is evident as he sees to his team's every need. Senior quarterback Logan Paulich, team captain smiled: "We love Collin like a brother and we're overwhelmed by his love and concern for us."

Seniors on this year's team approached head coach Tony Cloward about the possibility of Collin seeing actual playing time.

"Collin was game eligible, being on the team roster and meeting all state scholastic requirements," said Coach Cloward. "My concern was Collin's safety. He was not a trained and conditioned football player. For him to play, just the right set of circumstances would have to be present, which would take a miracle."

On that Oct. 19, at the snap, quarterback Paulich, who was Collin's roommate at football camp, stuffed the ball into his friend's belly and Collin was off. While Collin ran, Paulich flanked him, one hand on Collin's shoulder, the other outstretched to the side as a protection and warning. Morgan's Kale Watkins came in hard from the left. Not able to discern his foe's intentions, Logan blocked him, protecting his special friend.

In the booth, the coaches Millward instructed, "Send him again!" As coach Cloward searched to find Collin, he was on the sideline where the team had engulfed him. Again Collin entered the game and ran the ball with Morgan's players in full cooperation, pursuing closely but never striking the runner as he rushed toward his coach on the sideline, as instructed. Morgan's Coach Christiansen confessed, "I had tears in my eyes to see the whole crowd come down and support Collin. That made the night awesome!"

After three rushes, Collin celebrated on the sideline while a pass play was sent in. Morgan's coaches insisted, "Run him the rest of the game!" Again the headsets came alive and Collin was back on the field. With time running out, Logan faded back to pass, but all his receivers were covered.

"I didn't know what was going to happen," said coach Cloward. "Then I saw Logan's eyes turn to Collin."

Collin was running alone in the flat and Paulich let the ball fly. Spinning to his left, Collin reached back and caught the ball one-handed — with his good arm — for an 11-yard gain and a first down. The crowd went wild.

"It was the most unbelievable catch I've ever seen," said John Krogh, an ardent Cowboy fan. "You don't see catches like that on ESPN!"

"Many of us couldn't stop crying," said one Morgan High School mom. "It was the most wonderful thing I have ever witnessed at a sporting event."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=87J9EZJ0gz0

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Great story!!

Damnit, what do I have in my eye?
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Awesome!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    Great story!!

Damnit, what do I have in my eye?
    i think there has been a wave of new allergies just coming out of the woodwork, so to speak.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    i think there has been a wave of new allergies just coming out of the woodwork, so to speak.

Yeah....an allergy.......THAT'S the ticket! Thanks!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    YouTube didn't show my kid laying him out. Ok, I'm kidding I don't have kids yet, and yes that story made me feel good inside. Great post.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Here I am, sitting in my squad car, and I've got tears in my eyes.

The only explanation is that someone sprayed pepper spray in my air vents. (yeah, that's it)

Great story!
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    Here I am, sitting in my squad car, and I've got tears in my eyes.
    Man up, Nancy!

actually i'm glad i wasn't the only one. not much gets to me these days, but when i read the article i kinda teared up, and the video finished me off.

luckily i had just eaten some really hot beef jerky. must have bit into a pepper or two on accident.

truly a great story...things like this give me faith in the younger generation.

Thread Information