Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Running...

  1. #1
    Illiy is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-27-07
    Posts
    1,490
    Rep Power
    202202

    Running...

    I injured my knee a few years ago when I was running with my dog. Now I am back running again and I am having a hard time shaving time off my 1.5 mile run. I can sprint no problem, but distance running is kicking my butt. I run faster on the street then I do the treadmill, and I'm getting anxious about the treadmill test.

    Any advice on how to work back up after an injury?

  2. #2
    Resident Smart Ass's Avatar
    Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-05-06
    Location
    Once a New Yawker, Always a New Yawker
    Posts
    5,456
    Rep Power
    1532834
    One way to get your knee strenght back and to bring up your cardio level is trying this.

    On a treadmill, bring up the incline level as high as it goes (usually to 15) and walk on a "up hill" at a speed of 3-5. Do this for 30 minutes. and you will feel it. I guarantee you that is sounds alot easier than it really is.

    Also, another great theraphy for knee injury is to go into a pool. Walk or do leg kicks int he water. Works great
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

    You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.


    FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS



    A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON



  3. #3
    Illiy is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-27-07
    Posts
    1,490
    Rep Power
    202202
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass View Post
    One way to get your knee strenght back and to bring up your cardio level is trying this.

    On a treadmill, bring up the incline level as high as it goes (usually to 15) and walk on a "up hill" at a speed of 3-5. Do this for 30 minutes. and you will feel it. I guarantee you that is sounds alot easier than it really is.

    Also, another great theraphy for knee injury is to go into a pool. Walk or do leg kicks int he water. Works great
    I'm headed to the gym now.. I will give that a try.

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Resident Smart Ass's Avatar
    Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-05-06
    Location
    Once a New Yawker, Always a New Yawker
    Posts
    5,456
    Rep Power
    1532834
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post
    I'm headed to the gym now.. I will give that a try.

    Thanks!
    make sure u don't hold on to the rails. it won't be effective
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

    You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.


    FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS



    A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON



  5. #5
    jato's Avatar
    jato is offline Deputy Sheriff
    Join Date
    12-21-06
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    233
    Rep Power
    42874
    Hike Mt. Baldy once a week. Also run up hills.

    After a while, running on flat ground will be easy.

  6. #6
    hush29's Avatar
    hush29 is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    10-08-07
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Posts
    534
    Rep Power
    57222
    Also, what kind of knee injury do you have? You don't want to make it worse than it already is.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

  7. #7
    Illiy is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-27-07
    Posts
    1,490
    Rep Power
    202202
    Quote Originally Posted by hush29 View Post
    Also, what kind of knee injury do you have? You don't want to make it worse than it already is.
    I was running with my dog and my foot got stuck in a hole while the dog and my body kept going... I twisted my knee and fell on top of it. They did xrays and there was no tearing but there was a lot of bruising and swelling. I have had problems with it ever since. From time to time when I run my knee will swell, but that is usually when I am being dumb(pushing too hard) my doctor tells me to take it easy for it to heal and that is it.

  8. #8
    Resident Smart Ass's Avatar
    Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-05-06
    Location
    Once a New Yawker, Always a New Yawker
    Posts
    5,456
    Rep Power
    1532834
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post
    I was running with my dog and my foot got stuck in a hole while the dog and my body kept going... I twisted my knee and fell on top of it. They did xrays and there was no tearing but there was a lot of bruising and swelling. I have had problems with it ever since. From time to time when I run my knee will swell, but that is usually when I am being dumb(pushing too hard) my doctor tells me to take it easy for it to heal and that is it.
    so did you try the uphill treadmill?
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

    You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.


    FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS



    A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON



  9. #9
    Illiy is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-27-07
    Posts
    1,490
    Rep Power
    202202
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass View Post
    so did you try the uphill treadmill?
    Yes, I only had time for 20 mins though. I am running with my neighbor tonight so I didn't want to over do it. How often do I do that?

  10. #10
    gozling's Avatar
    gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Join Date
    06-28-06
    Location
    O'ahu Hawaii
    Posts
    4,278
    Rep Power
    610530
    make sure to support the muscles around it.
    stretch alot as well and do wall sits, squats and lunges.
    working the knee is fine but you have to stretch what supports it big time and work what supports it to strengthen gently.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

    We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

    An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

    His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

  11. #11
    Illiy is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-27-07
    Posts
    1,490
    Rep Power
    202202
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    make sure to support the muscles around it.
    stretch alot as well and do wall sits, squats and lunges.
    working the knee is fine but you have to stretch what supports it big time and work what supports it to strengthen gently.
    Thanks... I don't think I take nearly enough time stretching as I should.

  12. #12
    gozling's Avatar
    gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Join Date
    06-28-06
    Location
    O'ahu Hawaii
    Posts
    4,278
    Rep Power
    610530
    yeah that is a no no to many.. even i dont do as much time as i should... remember dont stretch before your work out...
    stretch after about 5 min into your work out when things are warm.... that is important.. it is hard to stop and do that but it makes a huge difference in your work outs the next time...
    here is what i usually do on my 8 mile runs..

    3min walk warm up
    5min light run
    stretch outs using railings etc...
    run easy into moderate to 5miles
    run easy again into moderate to mile 7
    start to bring it down easy run to mile 8
    walk for a good 5 min to cool down the cardio
    my stretching is about 15 min... seems like a long time but it has seriously kept me injury free since i have started to do so much stretching. (i run with two broken knees, one broken ankle, and i broke my vertebrae when i was 18... so if i am still kicking - you can too!!and i am prolly what.. double your age now? LOL ugh i feel old!!)

    serioiusly though.. to stay injury free find a good stretch work out for you and consider it part of your routine.
    *hugs*
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

    We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

    An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

    His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

  13. #13
    Illiy is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-27-07
    Posts
    1,490
    Rep Power
    202202
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    yeah that is a no no to many.. even i dont do as much time as i should... remember dont stretch before your work out...
    stretch after about 5 min into your work out when things are warm.... that is important.. it is hard to stop and do that but it makes a huge difference in your work outs the next time...
    here is what i usually do on my 8 mile runs..

    3min walk warm up
    5min light run
    stretch outs using railings etc...
    run easy into moderate to 5miles
    run easy again into moderate to mile 7
    start to bring it down easy run to mile 8
    walk for a good 5 min to cool down the cardio
    my stretching is about 15 min... seems like a long time but it has seriously kept me injury free since i have started to do so much stretching. (i run with two broken knees, one broken ankle, and i broke my vertebrae when i was 18... so if i am still kicking - you can too!!and i am prolly what.. double your age now? LOL ugh i feel old!!)

    serioiusly though.. to stay injury free find a good stretch work out for you and consider it part of your routine.
    *hugs*
    I didn't know to stretch after you are warm, it makes sense! Ok, I will try that when I run tonight.

    P.S. You're not old!

  14. #14
    gozling's Avatar
    gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Join Date
    06-28-06
    Location
    O'ahu Hawaii
    Posts
    4,278
    Rep Power
    610530
    yeah stretching when you are cold and your muscles are cold is the worst thing you can do.

    lol thanks illy
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

    We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

    An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

    His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

  15. #15
    adroitcuffs's Avatar
    adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    09-02-06
    Location
    It's okay... I'm bicoastal ;-)
    Posts
    1,045
    Rep Power
    526687
    Stretching is definitely important, but don't stretch completely cold muscles. Muscles are more flexible to stretching when warmed up.

    I've been through 4 knee surgeries and the best rehab exercise has been the wall sits / wall slides. Goz is right that the best thing to do is to strenghthen the muscles surrounding the joint.

    You say they x-rayed your knee, but did you have an MRI? An x-ray will not show soft tissue damage, torn cartilage, or torn ligaments. See if you can get in with a good physical therapist who can assess your specific problem/limitatons and give you an appropriate strengthening program. After your injury, it's likely you altered the way you walk (and run) which could be contributing to the ongoing problems. Best of luck to you!
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

    #5


    http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

  16. #16
    hush29's Avatar
    hush29 is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    10-08-07
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Posts
    534
    Rep Power
    57222
    Also, if you have swelling after activity, put some ice on the knee but not for too long. Maybe 10-15 minutes at a time. Hopefully it heals soon for ya, i'm dealing with an old dirt bike injury, it sucks.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •