Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Question For Term..........

I saw this on another site..........good question! Do you know the answer?
    .............................. .............................. ..............................
    "I'm no detective, but something seems fishy about this post on craigslist (like most on there). This post seems as if AlliedBarton is trying to make their security guards out to be police officers. I don't live in NC, but I'm assuming this company doesn't maintain a police force. I conducted a trusty google search and AlliedBarton's website only refers to security functions.

My question is exactly what most people would ask: What the hell?

Heres a little exerpt from this ad:..."

Police Officers Needed in Charlotte, North Carolina

At AlliedBarton, quality starts and ends with our Police Officers ... AlliedBarton's Company Police Officers serve and secure the people; homes and businesses of our communities ...
    http://longisland.craigslist.org/sec/478063546.html
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Terminator is offline BANNED
    AlliedBarton is a legitimate private security and police company. In North Carolina, private police agencies have the same academy, training, and authority as municipal, county, or state law enforcement officers. Their jurisdiction is the main difference. They only have jurisdiction on property they own, property where people hire them out, and any adjacent road directly in front of the property.

Private police agencies are very common down here. We have University Police, Mall Police,...etc.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    AlliedBarton is a legitimate private security and police company. In North Carolina, private police agencies have the same academy, training, and authority as municipal, county, or state law enforcement officers. Their jurisdiction is the main difference. They only have jurisdiction on property they own, property where people hire them out, and any adjacent road directly in front of the property.

Private police agencies are very common down here. We have University Police, Mall Police,...etc.
    do they act, and are they viewed, as real cops by most people/cops?

just curious.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    In Louisiana security officers are just security. Allowed arrest powers only as ordinary citizens would have. However, in New Orleans a security company can have their officers receive a "Special Officers" commission through the city. It gives them the authority to carry a firearm and special arrest powers directly related to the property patroled.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

gwebb1981 is offline Officer First Class
    I work for Allied Barton. In Arizona though.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Well don't leave us in suspense, whats the story in AZ

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    do they act, and are they viewed, as real cops by most people/cops?

just curious.
    They do act, they're sworn police officers just like any other cop, just their employer is a privately owned company as opposed to a government entity.

I am not going to lie, some cops don't treat them like they are the real deal, and a lot of citizens mistake them for security officers. But we all wear the same badge and gun, and have the same training.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Interesting! Thanks! In California they are simply Security Officers with no greater powers than that of a citizen.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

gwebb1981 is offline Officer First Class
    I work for Allied Barton here in AZ. It's just a regular security job. To get hired all we needed to do was sit through an 8 hour slideshow on procedures and possible threats. Then we had a backround check that took 2 weeks. And voila.
    I didn't swear nothing, don't wear nothing (besides clothes), and don't get to do anything. To put it nicely, it doesn't take much to get this job. I won't go into detail on that.
    Maybe other states are different, or working for different sites.

Thread Information