Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208295

    Letter to the public

    As a police officer I can not understand comments such as these, “They just unloaded on him,” said Oseroff's stepson, Gary Cates, who also lives in Chula Vista. “They had armor on and had good protection. He's slow. It's not as if he's going to get the drop on them.” This comment was made by a citizen in California in response to officers protecting themselves from a deranged 90 year old man. Just because he was old they are suppossed to just let him shoot them?

    Everyday I put on my vest and uniform and pray that I will return to my family at the end of the day. Do you Public have that kind of worry each day? No, you are too worried about your sports team or that your neighbor blew leaves into your yard.

    There is something wrong with a country that cares more for the rights of criminals then those who are sworn to protect you. Case in point, 36 year old Officer William Freeman of the Huntsville, AL PD responded to an accident. He was shot in the face and killed when he tried to make a DWI arrest. He leaves behind a wife and five children. Where are the calls for justice? Do you care that five young children will never see there daddy again? No, you are too worried that your favorite sports player got traded.

    Remember, while you are in your nice warm office on a cold day, I am working an accident. On Thanksgiving or Christmas when you are with your family or enjoying a nice meal, I am eating a turkey sandwhich by myself in my cruiser, and asking my daughter by phone if she likes her new toys.

    I have to make every moment with my family last, because tomorrow when I go to work, I may not come home.

    So Public before you make asinine comments about what I do for a living, remember the sacrifice all police officers make for you everyday. I will do anything I have do to make it home at the end of my shift, and be given at least one more day with my family.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  2. #2
    mavriktu's Avatar
    mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-21-06
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,847
    Rep Power
    5559833
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    As a police officer I can not understand comments such as these, “They just unloaded on him,” said Oseroff's stepson, Gary Cates, who also lives in Chula Vista. “They had armor on and had good protection. He's slow. It's not as if he's going to get the drop on them.” This comment was made by a citizen in California in response to officers protecting themselves from a deranged 90 year old man. Just because he was old they are suppossed to just let him shoot them?

    Everyday I put on my vest and uniform and pray that I will return to my family at the end of the day. Do you Public have that kind of worry each day? No, you are too worried about your sports team or that your neighbor blew leaves into your yard.

    There is something wrong with a country that cares more for the rights of criminals then those who are sworn to protect you. Case in point, 36 year old Officer William Freeman of the Huntsville, AL PD responded to an accident. He was shot in the face and killed when he tried to make a DWI arrest. He leaves behind a wife and five children. Where are the calls for justice? Do you care that five young children will never see there daddy again? No, you are too worried that your favorite sports player got traded.

    Remember, while you are in your nice warm office on a cold day, I am working an accident. On Thanksgiving or Christmas when you are with your family or enjoying a nice meal, I am eating a turkey sandwhich by myself in my cruiser, and asking my daughter by phone if she likes her new toys.

    I have to make every moment with my family last, because tomorrow when I go to work, I may not come home.

    So Public before you make asinine comments about what I do for a living, remember the sacrifice all police officers make for you everyday. I will do anything I have do to make it home at the end of my shift, and be given at least one more day with my family.
    Very well said,unfortunately,outside of here ,to voice that will fall on deaf ears.All you would hear is "That is what you are paid for,or,if you dont like it find another job" .I am sure some civies would agree,but what I said seems to be the general concensus.

  3. #3
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208295
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    Very well said,unfortunately,outside of here ,to voice that will fall on deaf ears.All you would hear is "That is what you are paid for,or,if you dont like it find another job" .I am sure some civies would agree,but what I said seems to be the general concensus.

    I know, I was just so pissed off when I read the comments from that guy in CA. It made me feel a little better to vent.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  4. #4
    Buttercup's Avatar
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Join Date
    04-29-06
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    18,037
    Rep Power
    4251558
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    Very well said,unfortunately,outside of here ,to voice that will fall on deaf ears.All you would hear is "That is what you are paid for,or,if you dont like it find another job" .I am sure some civies would agree,but what I said seems to be the general concensus.

    There's always the hope, however slight, that some civilian (who is not a member here) will see this site by chance and take a minute to read it and give it some thought.

    Vent away, Beans.




  5. #5
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,152
    Rep Power
    4764594
    A lot of civilians assume that cops are invincible superhumans like the cops they see on TV and in movies. This is a powerful post about the realities of your job. Thanks for your service, and your sacrifice.

  6. #6
    Big Al's Avatar
    Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-09-06
    Location
    over here
    Posts
    2,473
    Rep Power
    1632687
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    A lot of civilians assume that cops are invincible superhumans like the cops they see on TV and in movies. This is a powerful post about the realities of your job. Thanks for your service, and your sacrifice.

    Well,,, Jenna makes a very good reply!!!!
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

  7. #7
    Big Al's Avatar
    Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-09-06
    Location
    over here
    Posts
    2,473
    Rep Power
    1632687
    Beans,

    I totally agree with you.

    At least with my incident, even the public opinion in my area was supportive of my actions.

    The media usually sucks at reporting a shooting incident. The seem to glorify it with big words to capture the attention of listners/readers and it pisses me off they way they report incidents.
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

  8. #8
    Probation13-901's Avatar
    Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    Join Date
    11-26-07
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    267
    Rep Power
    10551
    if you don't work in Law Enforecement then you just don't understand. Like when people comment "He just had a knife" I hate comments like that!!!

  9. #9
    hush29's Avatar
    hush29 is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    10-08-07
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Posts
    534
    Rep Power
    57222
    After i read that article Beans is talking about, I felt exactly the same. Beans, you took the words out of my mouth. Awesome post! I wish your post could be put on CNN or something for everybody to see or hear.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

  10. #10
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0
    You go Beans!

  11. #11
    armsmaster270's Avatar
    armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    08-11-07
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    2,441
    Rep Power
    369095
    I was lucky on my shooting the dipshit had just raped an elderly woman and slapped her 5 year old granddaughter around prior to trying to take me out. He didn't have much public support. He was Positive for alcohol and paint sniffing.


    Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

    http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

  12. #12
    phoenix Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I know, I was just so pissed off when I read the comments from that guy in CA. It made me feel a little better to vent.
    Vent on..You have every right to.As true as it is,that some civilians could care less,there are some who are Proud of you,the sacrifices you make,and know that the world is a bad place.Without LE it would be,uh NOT....I for one pray that you stay safe,go home to your family and fight against the all mighty bastards of society.For all the ones who do not care,please know that there are ones who do,very much so.

  13. #13
    slick628's Avatar
    slick628 is offline Rollin' Deep
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    01-19-07
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    528
    Rep Power
    146515
    Always been a concern of mine, and yet I remain hopeless because I feel there will never be a way to open the public's eyes
    "That's how we roll"

  14. #14
    Ducky's Avatar
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-05-05
    Location
    Handbasket, enroute to somewhere hot.
    Posts
    11,096
    Rep Power
    7381621
    What really chaps my ass is these clowns who make the "it was only a knife" comments are the first ones calling for the guy to be shot if he was coming at them.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q


  15. #15
    Rhino's Avatar
    Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-08-07
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,524
    Rep Power
    1750821
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    On Thanksgiving or Christmas when you are with your family or enjoying a nice meal, I am eating a turkey sandwhich by myself in my cruiser, and asking my daughter by phone if she likes her new toys.
    That's why I have a standing offer to anyone in my department with family if they need me to work for them on a holiday, I will. I encourage every single officer without children out there to do the same.

    Good post, Beanie. I won't even give you shit this time.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

  16. #16
    Hannibal's Avatar
    Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-27-06
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,847
    Rep Power
    2067651
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    As a police officer I can not understand comments such as these, “They just unloaded on him,” said Oseroff's stepson, Gary Cates, who also lives in Chula Vista. “They had armor on and had good protection. He's slow. It's not as if he's going to get the drop on them.” This comment was made by a citizen in California in response to officers protecting themselves from a deranged 90 year old man. Just because he was old they are suppossed to just let him shoot them?

    Everyday I put on my vest and uniform and pray that I will return to my family at the end of the day. Do you Public have that kind of worry each day? No, you are too worried about your sports team or that your neighbor blew leaves into your yard.

    There is something wrong with a country that cares more for the rights of criminals then those who are sworn to protect you. Case in point, 36 year old Officer William Freeman of the Huntsville, AL PD responded to an accident. He was shot in the face and killed when he tried to make a DWI arrest. He leaves behind a wife and five children. Where are the calls for justice? Do you care that five young children will never see there daddy again? No, you are too worried that your favorite sports player got traded.

    Remember, while you are in your nice warm office on a cold day, I am working an accident. On Thanksgiving or Christmas when you are with your family or enjoying a nice meal, I am eating a turkey sandwhich by myself in my cruiser, and asking my daughter by phone if she likes her new toys.

    I have to make every moment with my family last, because tomorrow when I go to work, I may not come home.

    So Public before you make asinine comments about what I do for a living, remember the sacrifice all police officers make for you everyday. I will do anything I have do to make it home at the end of my shift, and be given at least one more day with my family.




    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Beans again.

    "Stupid should hurt."

  17. #17
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208295
    Thank you everyone for your kind words. I am no County Bear when it comes to writing. I know that as far as LEOs go I am pretty much to the left. But things in this country are getting out of control. I don't know if a lot of people have noticed but this is a dangerous country. We have had 173 officers killed, while Canada has only had 4! Now I know Canada has a lot less population, but still that is a huge number.
    Every action we make as officers is now under media and public scrutiny. The media has an agenda for the spin, they want to sell papers and get ratings. The masses of people who know nothing of police work are poisioned by this spin reporting and begin to believe it.
    Something has to be done, but I do not have the answer on how to stop it. The anti-LEO cancer has grown out of control and at this point I don't think it can be stopped.
    Gone are the days when your local police officer was looked to with respect. Now we are just "pigs" or a punk with a badge who got bullied as a kid and is a cop now to get revenge. We know this could not be further from the truth. The public believes this. We all know a few bad cops, hell I do. There are idiots in every job, from clerk to executive. However, we are the ones everyone is watching.
    I will say one thing, I don't care if you are 15 or 90, you point a gun at me, I will shoot you. That is a cold hard fact. I am going home at the end of the day. So put me on the news and call me names, I will be seeing my wife and daughter at the end of that day. That is what really matters.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  18. #18
    Operator13's Avatar
    Operator13 is offline Just Another Voice
    Join Date
    04-12-06
    Posts
    280
    Rep Power
    1851323
    If someone points a weapon at a LEO they deserve whatever happens.

    What I love are all the relatives who complain after THEY called the police because their family member presented a danger.
    "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."

  19. #19
    countybear's Avatar
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    01-18-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,512
    Rep Power
    4611614
    Be thankful you aren't a CB. Well said. Good post. Rep inbound, Beansie.

    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

    Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

    The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •