Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO

Kwanzaa- what is it?

Curious about an entry on our events calendar today, I looked up “Kwanzaa”. You see, the events calendar says today is the first day of the 7-day celebration. I had never really paid much attention to it in the past, but was always under the impression that it celebrated some harvest period in Africa. Now, things are very quiet at work, so I looked it up. I had always thought it odd to celebrate a harvest in December as I would think the harvest in Africa would fall during a different time in the year. From what I can figure out, I was right. It appears the harvest is in October.

A further check shows that Kwanzaa has nothing to do with any kind of harvest in Africa. It was a made-up celebration by a guy named Ron Everett (which he later changed to Karenga), a US citizen. He created it in 1966.

He initially stated, “"The Christian is our worse enemy. Quiet as it's kept; it was a Christian who enslaved us. Quiet as it's kept it's a Christian who burns us. Quiet as it's kept it's a Christian who beats us down on the street; and quiet as it's kept when the thing goes down it'll be a Christian that's shooting us down. You have to face the fact that if the Christian is doing all this there must be something wrong with Christianity."

Hence, he thought blacks should not celebrate Christmas.

Then he later stated, "...it was chosen to give a Black alternative to the existing holiday and give Blacks an opportunity to celebrate themselves and history, rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society."

Thus a holiday was born.

Interesting stuff.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Happy holidays!

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Ditto. You know, I'm actually kind of jealous about the seven-day part of it. Do you suppose I could get my PD to pay me double-time-and-a-half for all seven days?
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    Quote Originally Posted by CT209 View Post
    Ditto. You know, I'm actually kind of jealous about the seven-day part of it. Do you suppose I could get my PD to pay me double-time-and-a-half for all seven days?
    Let me know how that works for ya!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    In 66 the KKK and others were doing bad things and using Christianity and parts of the bible to back up their conduct. They still do.

I think blaming all Christians for those acts is a bit like blaming all Muslims for terrorism. It's fine if a race wants to have their own holiday but I think the reasons given above are not good reasons to do that.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    But what about Festivus? I want to air some grievances!
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OffDuty View Post
    But what about Festivus? I want to air some grievances!
    I think "happy holidays" covers every possible occasion.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Had to Google that one!

Festivus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Happy Festivus, Everyone! May you win the feat of strength!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I personally do not celebrate or actually, believe in Kwanzaa, and I've often wondered whether or not many blacks who do claim to celebrate that holiday really and truly know its origin.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO

Dude you are brilliant... I am writing Congress to request holiday pay for Kwanzaa.

"Stupid should hurt."

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I see someone didn't do their history homework back in '66...
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I personally do not celebrate or actually, believe in Kwanzaa, and I've often wondered whether or not many blacks who do claim to celebrate that holiday really and truly know its origin.
    Ditto

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    We tried for MLK day, that didnt go very far, I am sure we wont get this one either

ryan b is offline Rookie
    I've never understood how you can simply "create" a holiday like Kwanzaa and am puzzled as to how it ever survived until today. It was created to further separate the races and in a time when everyone wants equality, i'm confused as to why this holiday is even acknowledged anymore.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan b View Post
    ...in a time when everyone wants equality, i'm confused as to why this holiday is even acknowledged anymore.
    It's still acknowledged because there is still plenty of people who want at least some division amongst the races, even though they wouldn't publicly admit it. You can't have your cake and eat it too, and expect that to work.

All one needs to know about the founder of the false holiday.

http://www.nathanielturner.com/karenga2.htm
    Those who live by the sword... get shot by those who don't.

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by xnvyflyer View Post
    All one needs to know about the founder of the false holiday.

http://www.nathanielturner.com/karenga2.htm
    You hit the nail right on the head, pal. Another "white guilt" holiday. White people are sooo stupid. This guy and Fat Al are large POS. The only people who believe the sh1t that Fat Al spews are white people and fellow criminals.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Thread Information