Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

How do LEOs know what marijuana smells like?

How do LEOs know what marijuana smoke smells like? Do they get training about it?

I thought about this after reading the thread about marijuana odor wafting to a police station: http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/...ad.php?t=24050

A lot of law enforcement organizations prefer to hire LEOs who never used marijuana or hung out with marijuana-using friends. So aren't there some LEOs who start out not knowing what marijuana smoke actually smells like? How do they learn? It's not like it can be googled.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Most people are not good about hiding their dope. So once you find it you will remember the smell forever.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Training and Experience! Marijuana is a very distinct odor, and if you have smelt it once, you will now what it is a second time around. Plus, just because you have not used something doesnt mean that your friends growing up hadnt. I had friends that smoked a lot of pot growing up, I wasnt down with that, but I didnt care what they did. Departments cant hold against you the stupidity of your friends but they can hold your actions against you.

Plus, during field training, hopefully you can have the rookie come across some and you can direct them as to what it is (These days like if they dont). All you need is one experience with MJ, and you will know what it is after that

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Plus they have those incense thingys that smell like weed. Actually depending on what type of weed it is, it will have a different odor to it
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Marijuana?

Never heard of it
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

AlDeputy is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    During my time in the Military Police we had what we called controlled burns, that is where we would burn a small amount of marihauana and expose our MP's to the smell so that we could testify in court to the fact that we did infact know what marihauana smelled like.
    But you're a deputy, you can't give me a ticket!

Yea Ok, sign here and press hard there are 4 copies!

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO

"Stupid should hurt."

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    To answer your question, Jenna: For me (and I can only speak for myself) of course I knew the smell from my high school days (you couldn't and probably still can't go to a concert without smelling it). But in case some of us trainees lived a sheltered life, in the academy they passed around a sample of raw marijuana and told everyone to smell it. Then towards the end of class, they burned a small amount in the class room (it was a small amount, and stale, so no- no one got buzzed) so that everyone in class could say they have smelled burned marijuana in their training.

I've heard since that instructors have gotten away from that (probably because some tightwad complained), so I guess they have to wait until they encounter it in the field which, honestly, doesn't take long.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

OXCOPS is offline Usual Suspect
    We weren't always cops.

Seriously, I learned on the street. You stop someone smoking something odd smelling, then find a baggie of that green, leafy substance. 2+2=Jail.

K9brando is offline Fun In The Snow!
    Verified LEO
    In basic training, we did a control burn of marijuana and got to smell it there. I also have some pills made with cannibis that I burn for demonstrations to the general public. It smells like the same thing. Those pills were given to me by the narcotics agent in my deparment. I don't where he got them from but he gave me like a hundred of them or so. You stick it in a bowl and light it and it gives off a marijuana odor. That little pill cannot be taken for a high though!!!
    I'm ready for spring!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by K9brando View Post
    In basic training, we did a control burn of marijuana and got to smell it there.
    Exactly.

Jenna, we're exposed to the odor of it in the police academy because the smell of marijuana gives us probable cause to search.

campuscop is offline Sergeant
    Our academy passed around some fresh marijuana to smell. Then they passed around a few (Used) pipes and had us smell the burnt smell. However I was in court one day and another officer from another agency was on the stand and the lawyer asked him how he knew what marijuana smelled like. (With a duh look.) The officer replied from smoking it in my high school days. Our judge even tried not to laugh at that one.

Terminator is offline BANNED

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by campuscop View Post
    However I was in court one day and another officer from another agency was on the stand and the lawyer asked him how he knew what marijuana smelled like. (With a duh look.) The officer replied from smoking it in my high school days. Our judge even tried not to laugh at that one.
    What an embarrassment.

me again is offline Is it pronounced whore, ho or whoooaaa?

Thumbs up

I didn't inhale. I swear!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlDeputy View Post
    During my time in the Military Police we had what we called controlled burns, that is where we would burn a small amount of marihauana and expose our MP's to the smell so that we could testify in court to the fact that we did infact know what marihauana smelled like.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I smelled it while I was in the military police!

k2.rocky is offline Officer First Class
    In our academies in Oklahoma they always have an agent from the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs come teach a class about it. At the conclusion of class they will burn a VERY SMALL piece of marijuana and allow the students to smell it. This is how we can say we were trained on smelling the odor.
    "When you stop learning, you deny yourself the opportunity to grow." ~TDSA Tulsa~
    www.tdsatulsa.com

"Anyone who gets in a fair fight…..has no tactical skills"

"We're entirely surrounded, those poor bastards. They've got us right where we want 'em. We can shoot in every direction now." ~General Chesty Puller~

"I firmly believe that you live and learn, and if you don't learn from past mistakes, then you need to be drug out and shot." ~R. Lee Ermy~

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Same here as most cops. We have narcs come into the academy with all different drugs. They pass around small sealed samples of each to see what everything looks like up close, and they burn a small amount of the weed in a small box and have everyone come up where it is barely wafted towards your face.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by AlDeputy View Post
    This is what we did in the Air Force too. But I spent some time in college before the AF so I already knew what it smelled like. LOL (and no..not from using it)
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Big Sexy is offline Not your mothers BIG SEXY
    Verified LEO
    Being out on the ground with 5 tons of it. You learn to recognize the smell.
    Don't Be Afraid To Fail.

No Tengas Miedo Al Fracaso.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I had been exposed to secondhand marijuana smoke in high school and college but didn't know what it was until someone specifically identified it to me after several years of college. I never tried marijuana and was scared of it (both because of its illegality and because I worried that even secondhand smoke could cause addiction or an allergic reaction), so I left the room when friends started smoking. I'm still not sure I could distinguish it from all the other scents in the air (like burnt piles of autumn leaves or firewood).

I hope someday google will enable people to search for scents, sounds, and images in addition to words.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I had been exposed to secondhand marijuana smoke in high school and college but didn't know what it was until someone specifically identified it to me after several years of college. I never tried marijuana and was scared of it (both because of its illegality and because I worried that even secondhand smoke could cause addiction or an allergic reaction), so I left the room when friends started smoking. I'm still not sure I could distinguish it from all the other scents in the air (like burnt piles of autumn leaves or firewood).

I hope someday google will enable people to search for scents, sounds, and images in addition to words.
    just wait, I am sure they are working on a scratch/sniff program right now

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information