Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Dog question

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

A Dog question

I have two dogs, a basset hound and a beagle. They bark whenever someone walks past my front window, knocks on the door, etc. My basset hound also barks like mad every time the house makes a creaky sound, the ice drops in the ice maker on the fridge, and basically any other sound that he finds suspicious.

I do not mind their barking. In fact, I love it when they bark. I think the houndy bark/bay/howl that they do sounds super cool, and barking dogs scare off burglars So I like the fact they bark at all these strange noises. The neighbors also do not mind because they can't hear my dogs in their house. Anyway, on to my problem.

They only bark when I'm home. I want them to also bark when I'm NOT home. I want them to scare off the potential burglar. I really don't anticipate being burgled anytime soon, because that's not too prevalent in my neighborhood....but I'm a cop and I think about home security.

I've come home before and knocked on the door, pounded my feet on the porch, and knocked on the windows to see what they do. They just sit on my couch and stare at the door. When I've tested them like that, I've always positioned myself in a way that they can't see me, so I know that's not the reason they weren't barking at me. I've also had friends tell me that they stopped by when I wasn't home, and the dogs didn't make any noise. But if I'm HOME and someone does any of that, they go bat shit and bark like mad.

Any ideas tips or tricks to make them bark at these noises when I'm not home???
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Two things:

1. The reason they react when you are home is to alert you to something that sounds out of the ordinary to them and because you are their master. They are trying to protect you.

2. Leave a radio on at low volume when you leave. They will think you are nearby because they associate the radio with you being there. Perhaps that will instill them to react.

I would rather have a dog who is silent and bites an intruder than one who barks at the slightest noise. Basset hounds and beagles are not generally an aggressive breed; but, will respond if physically threatened - which a burglar might be when entering a home. Their barking/baying is generally not a threat to intruders.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    have your girlfriend stay home with the dogs and have her bark
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Basset hounds and beagles are not generally an aggressive breed; but, will respond if physically threatened - which a burglar might be when entering a home. Their barking/baying is generally not a threat to intruders.
    Yeah, I didn't get them for protection, obviously. Just pets. I know my beagle has the potential to be aggressive because my girlfriend was at my house one night while i was working, and I came home and he tried chomping my leg off before I turned a light on and he saw it was me. He doesn't act like that when I come home during work and no one is there though. The only time he's done that was that one time.

I would think though that upon breaking a window or booting a door, the barking/howling/growling of a dog would spook most burglars, right? I should point out that they typically "bark" at the noises, they normally don't howl or bay unless I promt it.

The basset's bark is very deep and sounds aggressive. You'd never guess he's a dopey basset hound if you couldn't see him.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Terminator is offline BANNED

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass View Post
    Wow, I'm not going to go there.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I don't even know how I'd propose that idea....

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Wow, I'm not going to go there.
    what do you mean..you're the one who told me to say it
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I don't even know how I'd propose that idea....

Just get her flowers..and tell her you'd marry her

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    Just get her flowers..and tell her you'd marry her
    I think that's the dumbest advice one man can give to another man. Men should not be advocating marriage!!!!!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nsb22 View Post
    I think that's the dumbest advice one man can give to another man. Men should not be advocating marriage!!!!!
    Smartest thing you've ever said.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have two dogs, a basset hound and a beagle. They bark whenever someone walks past my front window, knocks on the door, etc. My basset hound also barks like mad every time the house makes a creaky sound, the ice drops in the ice maker on the fridge, and basically any other sound that he finds suspicious.

I do not mind their barking. In fact, I love it when they bark. I think the houndy bark/bay/howl that they do sounds super cool, and barking dogs scare off burglars So I like the fact they bark at all these strange noises. The neighbors also do not mind because they can't hear my dogs in their house. Anyway, on to my problem.

They only bark when I'm home. I want them to also bark when I'm NOT home. I want them to scare off the potential burglar. I really don't anticipate being burgled anytime soon, because that's not too prevalent in my neighborhood....but I'm a cop and I think about home security.

I've come home before and knocked on the door, pounded my feet on the porch, and knocked on the windows to see what they do. They just sit on my couch and stare at the door. When I've tested them like that, I've always positioned myself in a way that they can't see me, so I know that's not the reason they weren't barking at me. I've also had friends tell me that they stopped by when I wasn't home, and the dogs didn't make any noise. But if I'm HOME and someone does any of that, they go bat shit and bark like mad.

Any ideas tips or tricks to make them bark at these noises when I'm not home???

It's really difficult to train that sort of thing into them, so I'm not sure. They're already naturally defensive and protective of you, which is good, but apparently haven't felt any great threat as of yet to get them defensive of the house. Maybe give them a decent scare sometime when you leave and see if it changes their patterns. Leave a window unlocked, leave for a couple minutes or just long enough for them to be convinced you're gone, then sneak back in through the window. As goofy as it sounds it may just trigger something with them, or you'll find that they may be silent but defensive when you do.

My Malinois is completely opposite of your dogs. When I'm not home he's vocal when protective, but when he's with me he's silent as can be, but will hammer the first thing he sees coming at me. My boxer on the other hand will bark, snarl, growl and bite anything other than family regardless of if we're home or not.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I've come home before and knocked on the door, pounded my feet on the porch, and knocked on the windows to see what they do. They just sit on my couch and stare at the door. When I've tested them like that, I've always positioned myself in a way that they can't see me, so I know that's not the reason they weren't barking at me.
    Dude! They still know it's you, and now they think you're weird!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Dude! They still know it's you, and now they think you're weird!

Shut up seriously?

I like Pudge's idea

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Shut up seriously?

I like Pudge's idea
    Having watched my Mom's dogs in action, I can tell you they hear her car turn the corner at the end of our street.

What you need to do is get a cohort to come by and see if they bark then.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Listen to PDawg....my dog knows it is me by the way I walk accross the gravel driveway and she just lays there.

They really do have superior senses guy....and they get used to your habits and sounds and smells....they know its you!

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Listen to PDawg....my dog knows it is me by the way I walk accross the gravel driveway and she just lays there.

They really do have superior senses guy....and they get used to your habits and sounds and smells....they know its you!

Car 4
    +1 My dog won't bark when I walk up the stairs...but anyone else she doesn't recognize she acts like she is a big ol' dog! Same when I am home she barks if someone passes by...

She is protective of her home and her owner... and her kid (my daughter) who she is convinced is her toy...
    FIGHT ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    When my kind come to rule this planet your name shall be put on a list, a protected list, and no harm shall come to you.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I've gotta agree, my dog knows it is me when I drive down the street. They have an unbelievable sense of smell and know your scent.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    I've gotta agree, my dog knows it is me when I drive down the street. They have an unbelievable sense of smell and know your scent.
    in your case, horse poop?

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    When I was a kid we had a PD K9 named Rusty who didn't quite make it into the program.

We lived in the middle of nowhere, and you could hear cars coming for miles.

Rusty would get up and run around when my dads car was making the big hill a mile away. It was almost like an alarm clock for when dad was coming home.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by nsb22 View Post
    +1.

marriage for men is when they figure they've gotten too old or fat to get a hotter chick than the one they have
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information