Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Fly United!

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Fly United!

For you pilots, this will remind you of some incidents. For the others, it will scare the heck out of you. This happens all to frequently.

Here is a good example of how situational awareness avoided a possible disaster:

This is incredible. The First Officer is a female who was recently hired with extremely low experience. The Captain (?) is a gentleman who has failed several check rides before being certified.

The female tower controller gets confused and doesn't realize what's happening.

The only smart guy in the bunch is the USAir pilot waiting to takeoff listen to what he decides to do! Turn on your sound and watch the map of the planes. Think twice before you purchase your next ticket on United.

Go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BvgSS6kBdU
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    That is insane. That was so close it was sick. In looking at the 3D recreation, that other plane hadn't have pulled up when they did, that would have been bad.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm ready for my next flight! NOT!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    U.S. Air should commend their pilot. Extremely smart move for him to refuse clearance until the errant bird was located.

These United pilots need to be recycled. Now.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    I think things like this happen all the time. I was on a flight that we landed and took off again and the pilot told us we were to close to the plane in front of us.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, I flew a lot in college... Amazing how often this kind of stuff happens.

The US Air guy did a great job by refusing to take the runway until this was sorted out... And the tower controller is an idiot. She heard the United plane say that another plane had just taken off in front of them, which obviously means that they werne't on an inactive runway. Good thing the US Air pilots were listening to traffic on the radio.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    My Navy flyer son says they are scared to death to fly in civilian airspace just because of this kind of stuff. Most civilian airline pilots are military trained and do a pretty good job....but it is obvious from the accent that this guy didn't graduate from OUR military flight schools.

I'd rather walk.....

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yikes. Major props to the US Air pilot
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    And that is why I try and drive anywhere I go.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    No doubt the US Air 2998 pilot on radio was military trained. Radio discipline, brevity, and ability to make a command decision contrary to controller who lost control. US Air took charge of the field by example and deed. Another video link has more unedited radio chatter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cofPH...eature=related

The ground controller and the 2 UAL bozos should be handed flight violations.....and hopefully their next radio experience is "did you want fries...pull up to the first window".

Might add the next senior controller to the list of bozos. The field should have been closed and inbound/approaching flights waved off or diverted. Near end of the video link above, unknown aircraft called "local appoach...is the field clear?" Controller blew off the question, no inquiry to calling flight ID, proximity or altitude. US Air was also mis-identified as 4998 by controller, saw the cluster-f++k this was, and refused to accept clearance or take the active runway until UAL1448 was at the gate.

PapaBear - situational awareness indeed. WOXOF.

WOXOF is weather abbreviation for: wind zero, sky obscured, zero visibility, fog.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Thread Information