Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

couple posts about the Military...

that i blatantly stole from another board. both good in their own right.

The average age of the military man is 19 years

He is a short haired, tight-muscled kid who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy. Not yet dry behind the ears, not old enough to buy a beer, but old enough to die for his country.

He never really cared much for work and he would would rather wax his own car then wash his fathers; but he has never collected unemployment either.

He's a recent high school graduate; he was probably an average student, pursued some form of sport activities, drives a ten year old jalopy, and has a steady girlfriend that either broke up with him when he left, or swears to be waiting when he returns from half a world away.

He listens to rock and roll or hip-hop or rap or jazz or swing 155mm Howitzers.

He is 10 to 15 pounds lighter now then when he was at home because he is working or fighting from before dawn to well after dusk.

He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less time in the dark.

He can recite to you the nomenclature of a machine gun or grenade launcher and use either one effectively if he must.

He digs foxholes and latrines and can apply first aide like a professional.

He can march until he is told to stop or stop until he is told to march.

He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation, but he is not without spirit or individual dignity.

He is self-sufficient. He has two sets of fatigues: He washes one and wears the other. He keeps his canteens full and his feet dry. He may forget to floss or brush his teeth, but never to clean his rifle.

He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes, and fix his own hurts. If your thirsty, he'll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food.

He'll even split his ammunition with you in the midst of battle when you run low.

He has learned to use his hands like weapons and weapons like they were his hands. He can save your life- or take it, because that is his job.

He will often do twice the work of a civilian, draw half the pay and still find ironic humor in it all. He has seen more suffering and death then he should have in his short lifetime.

He has stood amidst dead bodies, some of which he helped to create, and felt both terrified and thankful that he wasn't one of them.

He has wept in public and private, for friends who have fallen in combat and is unashamed.

He feels every note of the national anthem vibrate through his body while at rigid attention, while tempering the burning desire to square-way those around him who haven't bothered to stand, remove their hat, or even stop talking. In an odd twist, day in and day out, far from home, he defends their right to be disrespectful.

Just as did his father, Grandfather, and Great-grandfater, he is paying the price for our own freedom.

Beardless or not, he is not a boy. He is the American fighting man that has kept this country free for over 200 years.

He has asked nothing in return, except our friendship, respect, and understanding.

Remember him, always, for he has earned our respect and admiration with his blood.

-Author Unknown

--------------------

(and a reply to the first post)

Actually, the average age of someone in the Military is the late 20's. (depending on the study, 26-28)

Some other interesting facts about the "average" person in the Military.

People in the Military have more education than the rest of the population. (so much for exploiting dumb people you hear about)

People in the Military come from households with incomes higher than the national average. (so much for exploiting the "poor" you hear about)

Children of the wealthy (incomes over 200K or over 1 million in net worth) are over represented in the Military. (so much for "the rich dont pull their weight in the military)

Children of both Senators and Congressmen are also over represented in the military. (so much for "let them send their children to fight)

-------------------------------

good stuff, huh?
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

dkpd1384 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Definately a good post, I am tired of hearing all the whining about the military personel and how they have not done the "job" they were sent to do. This sounds much like another conflict we were involved in not long ago. There are several differences here though. Each and every one one of these military men and women volunteered. A majority of them did so after 9/11 and knew exactly what they were getting into. The fighting forces from that other war most dont want to mention which is a shame, those soilders gave their lives only to be spit on when they returned, if they did. They did not loose a single battle in that confilict either, when they had an objective they completed it. It was the people back home that caused that conflict to end like it did. Politicians limiting which targets they could and could not strike. For some strange reason "we" the American people did not learn this lesson. It has started all over again and must stop. The politicians must get out of the war business and let the troops fight the battle. It is simple tell them what to do and they do it. Give them a goal, find terrorist and kill them,,,,then get out of the way. Don't feel sorry for the terrorist families,,,,I can't remember one voice in Iraq after 9/11 shouting out how sad it was to loose women children. I can remember several demonstrations on TV,, that showed them celebrating in the streets after their great victory. There is probably not too many in this forum to argue the points but we must make our voices heard over the whiners. Most of us have served in the Military and are damn proud of it. I have three sons in now, all three finishing their college education while fighting a war. I think that is an outstanding thing. Wish I had their drive and motivation I could only imagine what I could do then. As LEO's we fight the same battle on the homefront. Just look at the Officer down section,,,,way too many listed allready and we are not out of the first month. If and innocent bystander gets injured God help us it is always the police officers fault. As members of the largest para-military group in the world we can make a difference, and we all are trying. Through this forum and our actions we have a voice and can maike it heard loudly if we stand close together and watch out for our brothers. The Military stands proud and the Law Enforcement Officers stand proud to do the job. I salute each and every one of you "my brothers and sisters" and all of our Military personel.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    What is the one thing a liberal with a PhD fears the most?

An enlisted member that graduated from high school. They simply know more about real life.

dkpd1384 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    What is the one thing a liberal with a PhD fears the most?

An enlisted member that graduated from high school. They simply know more about real life.
    Definately a true statement,,,,,been there done that.

Thread Information