Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Why were we born to our parents and not other parents?

Why were we born to our parents and not other parents? Is it just random chance? Karmic retribution for the good or evil we did in previous lives? Specific purposes intended by God (if so, what?) Something else?

Trojan42's signature states that "To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life." Yet to have been born elsewhere is to have lost. If Paris Hilton had been born to a violent Taliban family in Afghanistan, she could have been killed by her own brothers the first time she practiced a sexual indiscretion. If Bill Gates had been born to impoverished farmers in Rwanda, he probably wouldn't have had an opportunity to learn to read or write, and may well have died as a child soldier without ever having seen a computer. Any of us could have been born to one of those monsters in any country who murder their own children. Why weren't we?

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Good things happen to good people because they tend not to put themselves in bad positions/situations

Bad things happen to bad people because they tend to put themselves in bad positions/situations

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Why were we born to our parents and not other parents? Is it just random chance? Karmic retribution for the good or evil we did in previous lives? Specific purposes intended by God (if so, what?) Something else?
    I'm a big believer in karma, and curious about the 'past life' aspect of things.

I know someone who believes that we live as many lives on Earth as are necessary for our soul to become 'complete' before we are granted our permanent stay in Heaven. I can't say i disagree with the idea in general, although i can't say i buy it completely either. It is an interesting concept.

random chance? maybe...maybe not. God gave us free will, so to say He had a 'specific purpose' cuts both ways i guess.

If I had to pick ONE thing, i'd go with karma. I truly believe that what goes around comes around, whether it is in this life or the next.

good thread...but this is a discussion that could take many hours in person, and my fingers are getting tired
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Terminator is offline BANNED

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I kind of figure that I wouldn't be who I am without my particular genetic makeup, and as my parents are the reason for that makeup, who else could I have been born to?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    I like to think I am a winner, and regardless of what situation I might have been born into, I would have made the best of it. But that's optimism for you I guess. Real heroes are not born that way, they are self forged and refined.

That said, I do not know why we were born into our lives the way we were. The Lord has not made that something we need to know in order to walk the path of salvation.
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    OH GOD...
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    According to Buddah:

http://www.budsir.org/handbook/why_were_we_born.htm

According to Skye Thomas:

http://www.tomorrowsedge.net/choosing-our-parents.html

According to Mormons:

"The Church has no official teaching about whether or not we were able to choose our families before we were born. However, it may be helpful to summarize a few things that we do know. First, people come to earth with specific assignments. For example, Mary was chosen to be the mother of Jesus, Moses was chosen to deliver Israel, etc. Second, in order to perform these responsibilities, it was necessary that people are born at certain times into certain families. For example, Jesus needed to be born of the Davidic royal line and not in a Gentile family. Third, since it would violate the eternal principle of agency, the Lord never forces us into service. Therefore, it is likely we were offered these foreordained callings with their accompanying family situations. We may not have known every detail, but it is certainly possible that we knew some of the major factors."

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/qa/13.htm

Second, according to Mormon belief, those who do not have a chance to receive the gospel in this life will have a chance in the next, so simply being born to non-Mormon parents wouldn't, in terms of Mormon doctrine, reduce your chances of "getting into heaven".
    According to my parents:

One night, while they were young, experimental and unmarried, my father took advantage of my mother in the biblical way and I was conceived. Shortly thereafter, my maternal grandfather gave my father a choice (at the end of a shotgun) and my parents were married!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    If Bill Gates had been born to impoverished farmers in Rwanda, he wouldn't have had an opportunity to learn to read or write, and may well have died as a child soldier without ever having seen a computer. Any of us could have been born to one of those monsters in any country who murder their own children. Why weren't we?
    He also would not have been Bill Gates, he would have been some other guy.

We are the sum of our genetic make-up, the emotional legacy of the family we were born into, and our ability (or lack there-of) to respond and react to our environment.

Dickens survived a crappy childhood to become a great author. His themes and main characters are resilient and optimistic in the face of very realistic challenges. He was shaped by his past, but not broken.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    To punish my parents for their sins...

Or at least, that's what you'd gather if you ask my folks!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by CW Mock View Post
    I like to think I am a winner, and regardless of what situation I might have been born into, I would have made the best of it. But that's optimism for you I guess. Real heroes are not born that way, they are self forged and refined.

That said, I do not know why we were born into our lives the way we were. The Lord has not made that something we need to know in order to walk the path of salvation.
    Well said, I tend to agree. I'm going with this one, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    According to Mormons:

"The Church has no official teaching about whether or not we were able to choose our families before we were born. However, it may be helpful to summarize a few things that we do know. First, people come to earth with specific assignments. For example, Mary was chosen to be the mother of Jesus, Moses was chosen to deliver Israel, etc. Second, in order to perform these responsibilities, it was necessary that people are born at certain times into certain families. For example, Jesus needed to be born of the Davidic royal line and not in a Gentile family. Third, since it would violate the eternal principle of agency, the Lord never forces us into service. Therefore, it is likely we were offered these foreordained callings with their accompanying family situations. We may not have known every detail, but it is certainly possible that we knew some of the major factors."

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/qa/13.htm

Second, according to Mormon belief, those who do not have a chance to receive the gospel in this life will have a chance in the next, so simply being born to non-Mormon parents wouldn't, in terms of Mormon doctrine, reduce your chances of "getting into heaven".

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A purpose. I was raised by my stepfather to learn of injustice. I was born to my mother to learn of indifference. Being born to who my parents were allowed me to have a Grandmother who taught me about faith, forgiveness and God. To have a step Grandfather where I learned principle, morals, strength and justice. To have my natural Grandfathers DNA gave me a firey temper and drive. I am told I am a carbon copy of him. We never met. The same goes for my biological father.
    There is a purpose to what happens to us. We must simply find and embrace it.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    A purpose. I was raised by my stepfather to learn of injustice. I was born to my mother to learn of indifference. Being born to who my parents were allowed me to have a Grandmother who taught me about faith, forgiveness and God. To have a step Grandfather where I learned principle, morals, strength and justice. To have my natural Grandfathers DNA gave me a firey temper and drive. I am told I am a carbon copy of him. We never met. The same goes for my biological father.
    There is a purpose to what happens to us. We must simply find and embrace it.
    Lew excellent post.

This man right here is why I hate bitching and whining about people saying they didn't have the chance. Well guess what people time to wake and smell the fucking coffee it is possible and those with heart, drive and determination make their dreams a reality everyday! A man may not be able to choose his surroundings but he can choose what he does with them.

I grew up in the ghetto of southwest Detroit, and I had friends who were followers and those that were leaders. Guess where the followers are at, yup same old place....
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Fed View Post

Guess where the followers are at, yup same old place....
    Wow there are people actually lazier than you?
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Ohhh! This makes my head hurt! I'm hear because my little sperm was able to swim faster!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Thread Information