Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Why domestic violence?

Why are so many people violent against their spouses and lovers?

The thread about how 23.6 percent of women and 11.5 of men have experienced domestic violence got me thinking about this. It's pretty scary.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/...183#post320183

It's especially strange when people who are not violent against strangers, acquaintances friends, and co-workers are violent against the people they love the most. Why?

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    My answer to that is based on experience and speculation really.

I would say that domestic assault isn't more prevalent than any other type of assault. I would say I have handled MANY MANY more misdemeanor, non acquiantance assaults than domestic assaults. Maybe thats my opinion because I work in a college bar town, maybe not.

I think domestic assaults are discussed more, and brought into the limelight more because domestic murders are commonly (I'd almost say always) as a result of a past pattern of domestic abuse.

I don't have numbers or figures in front of me, but I believe (off the top of my head) domestic murders (husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend) are the most common type of murder in the U.S. (correct me if I'm wrong). And the vast majority of those murders are a culmination of a past pattern of domestic abuse.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Some is about control.

Some is because they spend more time together than they do with anyone else.

Some is because they are idiots.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Emotion is involved, and a whole bunch of other issues that would take up a book. Familiarity. Perceived safety on the part of the offender. Control issues.

Jenna, google up "domestic violence cycle"

Interestingly enough, the most violent and hate filled domestic violence calls in this area are often gay, lesbian, or bi related.

That tends to make me lean towards emotional issues - some of which are probably external from society.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information