Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: What is lent?

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?

What is lent?

Lent was brought up in Boblaw's vegetarian thread. I have heard of lent numerous times and always hear people giving things up for it. I did google it and read about it, but can someone explain it in layman terms for me??? Please
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

cidp24a is offline Master Officer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Lent is observed in the Catholic church as a time for self-examination, prayer and penance. It is the forty days prior to Easter. Many people "give things up" for Lent as a penance in preparation for Easter. Others may increase the good works that they do. Fasting or not eating meat on Friday's is also a common practice.
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History"

"All history becomes subjective; in other words there is properly no history, only biography."

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    here is a good link that explains it in good terms. You can click the links to learn more

http://www.catholicculture.org/litur...lent_about.cfm

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Just KC View Post
    Lent was brought up in Boblaw's vegetarian thread. I have heard of lent numerous times and always hear people giving things up for it. I did google it and read about it, but can someone explain it in layman terms for me??? Please
    That's when tiny fibers of cloth threads rub loose from clothing and get trapped or accumulate in enclosed areas like the human navel, or pockets, or even in larger quantities, your clothes dryer.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cidp24a View Post
    Lent is observed in the Catholic church as a time for self-examination, prayer and penance. It is the forty days prior to Easter. Many people "give things up" for Lent as a penance in preparation for Easter. Others may increase the good works that they do. Fasting or not eating meat on Friday's is also a common practice.
    Exactly. The Lenten period directly correlates to the 40 days that Christ spent fasting in the desert, prior to his crucifixion, death, and resurrection.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    It's also the reason many institutions serve only fish on Friday. Traditionally, no meat is eaten on Friday during lent.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    As others have said -- Lent is the period of preparation for Easter in many Christian churches. The Catholic Church probably makes the biggest deal of Lent; Catholics are required to observe the law of fast and abstinence on Good Friday and Ash Wednesday, and abstain from meat (definition varies in different places; I think the Church in Canada still permits chicken, while chicken is meat in the US) on Fridays. Catholics are encouraged to practice various acts during Lent, aimed at deepening their faith. Typical things include alms giving, Eucharistic Adoration (spending time in the church with the consecrated Host, which we believe is the Body, Blood, Soul & Divinity of Jesus Christ), giving up something for Lent (sweets, soda, smoking, and the like are common), or spending extra time reading the Bible or in other forms of religious contemplation. The whole idea of Lent is that you're doing something to help you deepen your faith before Easter.

Interestingly enough... I've seen psych reports that say that it takes about 7 weeks (or about 40 days) to break a bad habit...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    For the rest of us it is a great chance to not wait 45 min to an hour for a table at our favorite steak house on a friday evening.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Thank you to everyone that replied. I totally understand now.
    Thank you also Reca for sharing the link. Much appreciated!
    ~Karie

"I used to care

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    That's when tiny fibers of cloth threads rub loose from clothing and get trapped or accumulate in enclosed areas like the human navel, or pockets, or even in larger quantities, your clothes dryer.

Uhhhh,CB,I believe that is LINT,that you refer to Lent is the day that comes 40 days after that damn Mardi Gras.Which by the way for the uninformed is the purpose of the Mardi Gras holiday,to get all that crap out of your system before lent,which begins on Ash Wednesday,which is the day after Fat Tuesday(Mardi Gras).

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Lent is where my highly Catholic wife makes me not eat a bunch of stuff I like.....and go to church a lot.....and get ashes on my forehead....and donate real money....other than that...what they said.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO

You stole my thought
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass View Post
    You stole my thought
    And it was the only one you had.

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    And it was the only one you had.
    YES!!!!!!
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

LOL!!!
    ~Karie

"I used to care

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Countybear, you crack me up. I knew I could always count on you for a laugh. Lent vs Lint. I thought lent was past tense of the verb "lend". You don't say "I lended you $5.00." You say "I lent you $5.00."

If you are not Catholic, Lent probably will not hold much meaning for you, in my opinion. As others have said, the Catholic Church makes the biggest deal out of Lent. Other Churches not so much, some not at all.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Google IS your friend.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Countybear, you crack me up. I knew I could always count on you for a laugh. Lent vs Lint. I thought lent was past tense of the verb "lend". You don't say "I lended you $5.00." You say "I lent you $5.00."

If you are not Catholic, Lent probably will not hold much meaning for you, in my opinion. As others have said, the Catholic Church makes the biggest deal out of Lent. Other Churches not so much, some not at all.
    I know that's your opinion, but with all due respect, that is not true.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass View Post
    You stole my thought
    I realize that, and my appointment with a therapist is at 3:30 pm.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information