Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Computer Help

baumshoe is offline Baumshoe Law Enforcement Supply
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor

Computer Help

Can anyone help me. I am having problems with my internet/computer for the past three weeks. When I open my internet browser my internet is blazing fast. The problem i am having is when I click a link inside a web page, my computer will open a second window and it takes dog years to download the webpage. Any suggestions on how to make it quicker?

I called the cable company and they said there end of it is fine. I ran my security suite and no virsus, I clear my cookies etc everynight..I have also defragmented my computer to see if I am having issues there, still no improvement

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    Quote Originally Posted by baumshoe View Post
    Can anyone help me. I am having problems with my internet/computer for the past three weeks. When I open my internet browser my internet is blazing fast. The problem i am having is when I click a link inside a web page, my computer will open a second window and it takes dog years to download the webpage. Any suggestions on how to make it quicker?

I called the cable company and they said there end of it is fine. I ran my security suite and no virsus, I clear my cookies etc everynight..I have also defragmented my computer to see if I am having issues there, still no improvement
    which browser are you using? I use Firefox, no problems really. I am not an IT guy, but it almost sounds as if your computer is having issues sharing resources.
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    How much RAM have you got going on in the machine?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    It says my RAM is at 90%. When I switched to Fire fox the problem went away.weird..

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    So I went in and did a disk cleanup, now when I use Internet exployer and try to open a window, it shuts down my internet exployer.. Wont even open the second page now..

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sounds like your IE may be corrupt. Try reinstalling it?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    Just don't use IE period. The only time I use IE is when I'm at work. Only because they don't believe in firefox.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    IE has been corrupted. IE has been having these issues for many years now. For some reason after a certain point the updates and files no longer work. And IE decides to basically crash.

Stay with firefox its easier to use and well it actually works.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by nsb22 View Post
    Just don't use IE period. The only time I use IE is when I'm at work. Only because they don't believe in firefox.
    agreed.

IE blows Firefox.

every day
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    I have never used Firefox before, whats the difference?

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    Quote Originally Posted by baumshoe View Post
    I have never used Firefox before, whats the difference?
    It works..
    lol

actually, it has way less bugs, much more user friendly
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Not to mention customizable.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    IE is as capable as Firefox is, and is as stable as Firefox is.

The difference is, Firefox installs by default as properly stable and IE does not.

If you are into maintaining settings and customizing, IE will serve you as well as Firefox will. If you are an advanced user, IE will defeat Firefox 6 days out of 7 for security and stability. IE is also customizable, but it isn't easy for most people to make use of this feature.

If you are the typical user, Firefox will be more user friendly for you.

Don't buy into the anti-IE hype just for the sake of hype.

What Micro$oft has never been very good at is having their products install at the basic level for the basic user, and hence the trouble basic users have with their product.

Firefox is a good browser, and you will probably like it a lot. It's free, and it installs easily. Give it a shot.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    IE is as capable as Firefox is, and is as stable as Firefox is.
    Dear maclean, would you like to try some of this nice kool-aid I have made for you?
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Dear maclean, would you like to try some of this nice kool-aid I have made for you?
    No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by CNET.COM.AU
    Mozilla Firefox 2 is a winner, beating Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on security, features, and overall cool factor and deserving our Editors' Choice award.
    http://www.cnet.com.au/software/inte...9271864,00.htm

Here is what FlexBeta, a technology source company said:

For me, the biggest factor that inspired me to start using a browser other than Internet Explorer was the constant bugs and security fixes that were plaguing the latter, not to mention the tons of plug-ins that took over your browser. Changing your homepage to some paid advertiser, or adding a toolbar that does the worst job possible when searching.

The majority of these spyware and vulnerabilities are commonly programmed for Internet Explorer being that IE holds over 70% of the internet browser market. There are other browsers out there that can compete with IE, but Mozilla Firefox (formally known as Firebird) is a complete browser filled with tons of features that’s only light in size. From a built in pop-up blocker that works better than many commercial pop-up blockers, to tabbed browsing, these are just two of the factors that contribute to making Firefox an internet browser’s dream.

Reasons to use Firefox over IE:

Popup Blocking
    In this day in age, an internet browser without a popup blocker is like having a broadband connection without a fireball. “Firefox stops annoying popup windows dead in their tracks”, according to Mozilla.org, and that’s exactly what it does. Visiting a popup blocker test page, Firefox’s built in popup blocker was able to close all popup windows while the page loaded and during the page's onload() event. At http://www.popup-blocker.info’s test page, several test can be ran to prove your popup blocker’s power. Mozilla Firefox’s built in popup blocker was able to handle the “Stress Test”, which according to pop-upblocker.info… “[Stress tests] attempts to overcome your pop-up killer by trying to spawn large numbers of windows as quickly as possible.” Firefox’s popup blocker was able to close all 200 popup windows without even breaking a sweat. Trying this with IE and no popup blocker would probably bring your pc to its knee’s. You can also easily access the list of websites that the popup blocker blocks and altering it’s state by a simple click.

Download Manager
    A feature which I thought was going to be integrated in Internet Explorer 6 was a download manager. Download managers allow you to manipulate and take control of your downloaded files. Mozilla Firefox’s download manager contains just the essentials to allow you to control your downloads. You can pause your download and continue it a later time, something which is not possible with IE’s download manager. Apart from sporting a nice look, the download manager stores the information such as size and location of your downloaded file. When the download is complete, a small notification is displayed in the lower right side of the screen.

Tab Browsing
    Because having too many windows open at a time can be a bit annoying, not to mention time consuming, Firefox features tab browsing. Here’s more on tab browsing from Mozilla’s homepage…”Tab-Browsing changes the way you use the internet by allowing you to open links on a page in background "Tabs" and then read them when you're ready. No confusing new windows, no need for context menus, just hold down Ctrl when clicking a link, or use your middle mouse button (if you have one).”

Integrated Search Engine
    Now why didn’t the IE programmers think of this? Mozilla Firefox comes with a built in search engine. The default search engine is Google’s, of course, with the ability to add others. The search entry takes up a very small space, which is a plus when compared to those huge toolbars out there.

Options
    Less confusing and cluttered than IE’s Internet Options is another factor in Mozilla’s Firefox. You can easily navigate through each setting. Deleting saved passwords is a snap and clearing any saved history. The “Downloads” section of the options allows the user to choose which program will automatically open a downloaded file.

Page Info
    When right clicking on a page (PC users), selecting “page info” will pull up a window displaying vast amount of information for the webpage. General information as well as a Link tab showing all the links that the page contains.

Faster Response
    A typical webpage will load faster on Mozilla Firefox than Internet Explorer.

Keeps HTML Formatting
    Mozilla Firefox is able to keep the html format when copying from a webpage to a text file. For example, when copying html formatted text from a webpage and pasting it on a note pad, the text copied using Mozilla Firefox keeps the format yet the text copied from IE doesn’t.

Security
    Because many of those malicious plug-in’s that cause your everyday web surfing into a trip to the DMV are mostly programmed for Internet Explorer, having Mozilla Firefox as your internet browser can save you tons of headaches.

Open Source Advantage
    The Mozilla project is an Open Source project where thousands of independent programmers can work on finding security holes before they are exploited.

Cleaner Interface
    Firefox isn’t filled with clutter such as a history button or other buttons that take up most of the area in Internet Explorer. Firefox offers 2% more space to web pages than Mozilla, 4% more than Internet Explorer, and a whopping 10% more than Opera.

Smaller Download
    Ignoring the fact that Internet Explorer comes integrated with Windows, Firefox is almost half the size of Internet Explorer meaning half the time downloading.

Block Images
    When right clicking on an image, the user is given the option to block all images from that webpage. This feature comes in handing when visiting a site that holds many pictures, many due to ads, which can be disabled for faster surfing.

http://www.flexbeta.net/main/article...ion=show&id=32

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Block Images
    When right clicking on an image, the user is given the option to block all images from that webpage. This feature comes in handing when visiting a site that holds many pictures, many due to ads, which can be disabled for faster surfing.
    I didn't realize that. I just blocked all LEF images, it is velly nice

I can't stand using IE (haven't liked it for YEARS) and honestly believe Firefox to be the better browser....but i HAVE to use it to access certain random functions that just don't work in firefox.

If it wasn't for that, i would NEVER use IE.
    --

Ender

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    There is a reason why they call it Internet Exploder. Or is it Insurgent Exploder .

Firefox Rules!!!

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Thanks for all the help. I believe I have it fixed. My wife downloaded a coupon printer and another toolbar from coupons.com. I figured out they had some corrupt files in it. When I deleted it from my system, back to normal.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Don't you just love it when that happens? Except in my case it is usually me that screws the computer up and the wifeypoo (Kittylynn) has to fix it. She is the one with the Computer Tech degree, go figure.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information