Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solicitors

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Solicitors

How do YOU get rid of solicitors Ex: Jehovahs Witnesses, Meat sales people (which are common in the midwest, anywhere else?), magazine sales people, leaflet distributors, etc, etc.

I got my first Jehovah's witness of the spring/summer today.

Of course I worked last night so I was sleeping. The dogs started going bat shit, and that mixed with the persistent knocking on my door woke me up. I ignored it and figured if it was important I'd get a phone call. When I woke up I found a leaflet stuffed into my door jam.

I have a "No Solicitors" sign posted on the entrance to my porch. In addition to that I have a "Beware of Dog" sign posted. As a few people here can tell you, the dog sign is purely a joke. They sound mean but they don't have a dangerous bone in them.

My signs apparently aren't working. Any suggestions? If it comes down to verbally abusing them at the door, I am open to that idea.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I never answer my door unless I'm expecting someone. Usually if I stay real quiet, the solicitors will go away after awhile.

AlDeputy is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Shoot 1 or 2 and the rest should get the message.
    But you're a deputy, you can't give me a ticket!

Yea Ok, sign here and press hard there are 4 copies!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    How do YOU get rid of solicitors Ex: Jehovahs Witnesses, Meat sales people (which are common in the midwest, anywhere else?), magazine sales people, leaflet distributors, etc, etc.

I got my first Jehovah's witness of the spring/summer today.

Of course I worked last night so I was sleeping. The dogs started going bat shit, and that mixed with the persistent knocking on my door woke me up. I ignored it and figured if it was important I'd get a phone call. When I woke up I found a leaflet stuffed into my door jam.

I have a "No Solicitors" sign posted on the entrance to my porch. In addition to that I have a "Beware of Dog" sign posted. As a few people here can tell you, the dog sign is purely a joke. They sound mean but they don't have a dangerous bone in them.

My signs apparently aren't working. Any suggestions? If it comes down to verbally abusing them at the door, I am open to that idea.
    They tend to leave me alone when they see the pentacles on the porch. Barring that, a stone face with a calm but firm "Leave. NOW." generally does the trick for me.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Answer your door butt naked. I bet they won't come back
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Thats funny shit, i had a Jehovah's witness dork today knock on the front door.
    I had the main door open, but the storm door shut, and locked.

Ruger, my new dog, hit the door so hard, i thought he was going threw it.

Needless to say, the dork only took about 2 steps, and he was on the sidewalk walking down the street.

For some reason, i dont think he will be back
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    True Story,

When I was in college I lived with two of my frat brothers in an apartment. One of my room mates is a coon a$$ that has been drinking bourbon since he was 12. He also had his air assault and airborne wings before he graduated college. Our pad was a typical college party apartment, neon beer signs the whole bit. One afternoon we are chilling out [allow me to set the mood]. He is mixing drinks in the kitchen and I'm cleaning a glock 21 in the common room. Blender is going and Simple Man by Charlie Daniels is playing. My room mate smells like he just distilled the Jim Beam he is drinking and I'm wearing a wife beater t-shirt while cleaning said gun. Knock knock....

Gray answers the door and I hear him talking. This is odd as most folks we know just come on in. I yell out, "is it someone selling something or what?". All I hear him say is y'all can come on in, but I'm a drunk Catholic and my room mate is a no nonsense Baptist that probably won't listen to any Jehovah's Witnesses. As they peek inside I've just reassembled the glock, slap in a mag, and rack the slide. We were never bothered again.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    You have no solicitors, try a posted no trespassing sign. If that doesn't work, I would go with the suggestion of answering the door butt nekid. That should terrorize them enough not to come back.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bird1 View Post
    Answer your door butt naked. I bet they won't come back
    Honestly....I've considered it.

But my idea was to answer it nekkid but wearing a robe.

And then inviting them in and doing a Sharon Stone move.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I've literally sat in view of the window, watching TV, and not answered the door
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I usually answer the door, thank them for their time, and tell them I am not interested.

I'm not into being an asshole to the Witnesses about it - they are out professing their faith as they feel called to do. I just let them know I'm firm in my own faith.

As for other solicitors, we just don't get them out this far.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Honestly....I've considered it.

But my idea was to answer it nekkid but wearing a robe.

And then inviting them in and doing a Sharon Stone move.
    Have sex with a man?

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    I had a couple bang on my door once. I hollered through the door that I was not opening any door for any stupid probation officer. They left pretty quickly that time. Once I opened the door, stuck out my hand with one of those canned airhorns and let it loose. No wait, that was a kirby salesman that time. Works pretty good on the phone also.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

213th is offline Solipsist
    besides the fact that no one really knocks on my door unless I know they are coming over, I ALWAYS answer with my handgun on
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I do open the door for Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, I tell them that I am secure in my faith and thank them for stopping by.

I rarely get salespeople. And I never under any circumstances answer the door after dark unless I'm expecting someone.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ex401mp View Post
    I had a couple bang on my door once. I hollered through the door that I was not opening any door for any stupid probation officer. They left pretty quickly that time. Once I opened the door, stuck out my hand with one of those canned airhorns and let it loose. No wait, that was a kirby salesman that time. Works pretty good on the phone also.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    In this city, if you are not wearing in plain sight, a little bright yellow permit with your pic on it, issued by the city, you are illegal and I call a unit and file charges. I hate solicitors. Religious groups are exempt from this so I usually just dont go to the door or politely tell them no.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I usually answer the door, thank them for their time, and tell them I am not interested.

I'm not into being an asshole to the Witnesses about it - they are out professing their faith as they feel called to do. I just let them know I'm firm in my own faith.

That's pretty much how I handle it as well. I've found with the JW's, if you tell them you're not interested, they don't come back.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    In this city, if you are not wearing in plain sight, a little bright yellow permit with your pic on it, issued by the city, you are illegal and I call a unit and file charges. I hate solicitors. Religious groups are exempt from this so I usually just dont go to the door or politely tell them no.
    You know....the Nazis had pieces of flair they made the Jews wear.

bonus points if you get that quote
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    You know....the Nazis had pieces of flair they made the Jews wear.

bonus points if you get that quote
    uhh Office Space...that's an easy one bro
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information