Welcome to the APBWeb.
    EXCELSIOR is offline Rookie

Five Arrested After Deputy Gets Attacked By Mob Of Men

Five Arrested After Deputy Gets Attacked By Mob Of Men

POSTED: 6:19 am EDT March 24, 2008
    UPDATED: 3:35 pm EDT March 24, 2008

LAKE COUNTY, Fla. -- Five men, including four illegal immigrants have been caught after cops say they attacked a Lake County deputy. It happened on Long Acres Road in Sorrento, just off State Road 46, Sunday night.

SLIDESHOW: Images From The Scene Of The Attack
    RAW INTERVIEW: Deputy Describes Being Attacked Responding To Call

Lake County sheriff's deputies used their helicopter to search the area in an attempt to find the men who beat up Deputy Cliff McMennamy.

"You wouldn't think a noise complaint would generate something like that," the deputy told Eyewitness News in an interview over the phone Monday morning.

McMennamy said he was checking out a complaint of a loud party when 35-year-old Miguel Gomez threw a beer bottle at his car. McMennamy chased him down and hit him with a taser. The deputy said he was then surrounded.

McMennamy was punched above his right eye, hit with a beer bottle and even kicked in the jaw.

"While it was in progress, my worst fear was one of them having a weapon, a gun or a knife," he said.

Before they took his taser and bullets, McMennamy tried to radio for help, but it didn't get reception.

Amazingly, he used his cell phone to call while he fought away the attackers. The Lake County Sheriff's Office says their motivation was murder; they were trying to pull the gun from his holster.

"This is a bad situation that could have been worse," said Sgt. John Herrell, Lake County Sheriff's Office.

The 27-year-old deputy has been a member of the sheriff's office for two years. He said he'll be back to work on Wednesday.

"It won't be hard. I wouldn't trade this job for the world," he said.

Deputies are still looking for seven other men involved in the attack. Four of the five men they've caught are going to be deported since they were in the country illegally.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The lot of them need cement shoes and a just-deep-enough muddy pond.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Definetly a justified fear for his life and a good shoot. Should have put a few in the eternal dirt nap.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    ^^^+1,000,000

On a side note, I guess this is why my agency's policy is that you don't use your taser unless you have lethal cover...you can only tase one offender at a time. Sounds to me like he would've needed at least 4 more tasers (and 3 more hands to use them). Speedy recovery, Dep. McMennamy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Another good example of how a "routine" call can turn to crap. I know that I have to remind myself that no call is "routine." Good job, Deputy McMennay!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Wow, happy to hear he is okay and they caught most of the scumbags involved.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Thank goodness he had cell service!

SDPD just had a noise complaint turn into shots fired, then a stand-off with an infant alone with the barricaded subject.

Be careful out there.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Thread Information