Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO

Have fuel prices affected your personal life or work??

So far it has not affected my work. Our Agency has had to go to the Legislation and request more money for gasoline and we have been obliged so far.

My personal habits have changed quite a bit due to higher fuel costs. I have drastically reduced the miles I drive to/from anywhere. I don't go see my Mom or my daughter as often as I used to. It used to be fun to jump in my truck and go for a drive out in the country or go see relatives.

It stinks having to pay the high prices for gas. My vacation will be limited this year as well.....
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I don't have a car, so fuel prices haven't affected me.

Motorwaycop is online now Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    My heart bleeds!

It's over $2 a litre here, I think it works out at a round $8 a US gallon.

You are going to have to get yourself out of your truck and into one of these little beauties.

the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    You are going to have to get yourself out of your truck and into one of these little beauties.

I guess one of those would beat walking. I GUESS.

(Kinda like the old thing about banging an ugly girl and driving one of those. Might be fun, but you don't want your friends to see you with either one.)

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

The91Bravo is offline Deputy Sheriff
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    I guess one of those would beat walking. I GUESS.

(Kinda like the old thing about banging an ugly girl and driving one of those. Might be fun, but you don't want your friends to see you with either one.)

LMFAO!!!! ROFL!!!
    how true....

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I don't take trips to see my brother anymore, and when I head to the city that's an hour away I make sure that I have everything I want to do plotted out for maximum efficiency.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

The91Bravo is offline Deputy Sheriff
    I fill up the Ford Excursion XL at least three times a week, and leave it idling 24/7....

Hell no.. I commute 3.5 miles to jail every day. and that is about it.. one tank lasts me almost a month.. woohoo

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Since I got my takehome about a year ago, I only drive my truck (Ford F-150 V6) 60 miles a week (doing off-duty work as a courier). We're allowed to take our cars anywhere in the city, which is nice for errands. These days, I fill the truck up about once every 2 months or so. For all other driving, we take the wife's Volkswagon Jetta, which gets about 25 mpg. Her work commute is about 30 miles round trip per day...it would be nice if gas were cheaper, but Motorwaycop's right..it could be a hell of a lot worse! We're probably going to seriously look at hybrids when we're in the market for a new vehicle in the next 3 or 4 years (for both the pocketbook and the environmental aspects, Jenna!).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    We're probably going to seriously look at hybrids when we're in the market for a new vehicle in the next 3 or 4 years (for both the pocketbook and the environmental aspects, Jenna!).

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    My wife and I are now scooter riders. I drive 12 miles to work and she drives 5. Once the weather is warmer we will be riding our new Honda Ruckus scooters everyday. I usually drive surface streets at 30-40 mph anyway, so why not drive a scooter and get 70mpg? Besides, I love getting laughed at and then laughing when I pass a gas station!

We also get to spend time riding together and going to places I am too cheap to drive to.

Yes Hannibal, that was us that rode through the parking lot near your store the other day. I was showing her where she would soon be able to go buy me presents!
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Hasn't affected me, yet. My agency has more money than God, so they haven't told us to not idle squads either. I have a 34 mile round trip ride to work that's all freeway and no rush hour. The only thing the high gas prices may do is affect how far from work I buy my first house in the next couple months. I'd love to be about 45 minutes away (based on the current available homes and prices), but will probably have to settle for no more than 20-30 minutes.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I don't have a car, so fuel prices haven't affected me.
    Oh,the price of a loaf of bread or a dozen eggs has stayed the same for you???Here a dozen eggs have gone from .89 cents 6 months ago to near $2.00 today.A loaf of bread from $1.09 to $2.49.

Thank goodness for take homes!My truck is in the driveway ,when I crank it the low fuel light will come on.Hell till 6 months ago I didn't know it HAD a low fuel light.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    [/b]

Oh,the price of a loaf of bread or a dozen eggs has stayed the same for you???Here a dozen eggs have gone from .89 cents 6 months ago to near $2.00 today.A loaf of bread from $1.09 to $2.49.
    I seldom eat eggs or bread, but in general I guess I have been affected by food prices going up. So not even amoeba sheep in test tubes are safe from rising fuel prices!

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Our dept. has not mandated any changes yet, for home life, SUV is basically parked, car is used all the time instead, noticed a big save already on not driving the SUV. Now we just have to work on the Mrs. spending
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I have a 80 mile round trip commute to my regular job and have been in a vanpool for a few years now. I also have a couple of paper routes for supplemental income. If I can make the vanpool everyday then I only fill up once a week or so. Other than that and the occasional shopping trip, thats about the only driving I do anymore. With gasoline at $3.50 a gallon here in CA, I can't afford to go much of anyplace else.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut Aficionado View Post
    My wife and I are now scooter riders. I drive 12 miles to work and she drives 5. Once the weather is warmer we will be riding our new Honda Ruckus scooters everyday. I usually drive surface streets at 30-40 mph anyway, so why not drive a scooter and get 70mpg? Besides, I love getting laughed at and then laughing when I pass a gas station!

We also get to spend time riding together and going to places I am too cheap to drive to.
    My wife and I have actually thought of doing the Scooter thing as a means of recreation and transportation on days when the weather is good. The only thing that sucks about it though is that you can't carry much on a scooter. Though I would prefer a Silverwing for those times when my wife doesn't feel like driving. I could always trike it and pull a trailer for those shopping trips.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Gas prices suck! Costs me almost $90 to fill my SUV. Lasts me one week. I don't complain though, cuz I pay more per gallon for my coffee at Starbucks than I do for gas
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

gwebb1981 is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    My heart bleeds!

It's over $2 a litre here, I think it works out at a round $8 a US gallon.

I actually saw one of these on the freeway today. At first I was wondering what a golf cart was doing on the streets going 65 mph. Then I realized what it was - and laughed.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    As many of you know, I am in the air freight/courier business, and the gas prices are starting to affect my IC's and customers.

My fuel surcharge is at 25% for vans and 30% for bob tails.

On Sundays I do a route for beer money so I have to fill up twice a week at a cost of around 60 bucks a pop.

Business has been slowing down as more freight is getting put on line hauls instead of being hot shotted.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It has affected my pocketbook in a minor way...an annoyance really.

A couple years ago when i bought my Malibu (chick car!), I REALLY wanted a Trailblazer....bad. Common sense won out, and since I have no sense of shame, it wasn't a big deal. 15-20 mpg savings over the course of a couple years matter big time.

My friends fill their trucks up for $80 and bitch (even though they bought them a year ago), and I put $30 in my Malibu....
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    Gas prices have not affected me yet...at least in the vehicle situation mav, I know it all trickles down. I am holding out till the price hits $3.50 a gallon, then I am going to trade the Exploder in on a Tahoe or Yukon, used because I hate the new smooth body styles. Figure at $3.50 the price should come down. Way I see it, much like motorway said, it could be a bunch worse, and at 6', 235lbs, I really dont want to drive a sardine can, and its worth the extra cash for fuel for me to ride and glide in style.
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information