Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

First woman to guard tomb of unknown soldiers...

Sgt. Heather Lynn Johnsen walked into history Friday morning, on a hallowed hillside overlooking Washington.

In crisp Army dress blues, pants with creases tight enough to cut, Johnsen strode 21 precise steps behind the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery and turned to face the memorial with a sharp click of the heels of her shiny black shoes.

For Johnsen, that salute on a sunny spring morning marked the end of a long journey.

``There is no higher honor or greater honor. I can't think of anything greater to do for my country,'' she said earlier after receiving a sterling silver laurel-leaf honor guard badge.

After 388 men before her, Johnsen became the first woman to guard the Tomb where four unknown combat victims are buried - one from World War I, one from World War II, one from the Korean War and one from Vietnam.

For many years, the Army would not permit women to serve on the honor squad because ``The Old Guard'' 3rd Infantry Division that does the job is a combat unit.

Then, two years ago, the secretary of the Army ruled that women could serve in the 25-member squad that guards the tomb in 24-hour shifts.

But until now, no woman has overcome the arduous hurdles placed before honor squad candidates.

Johnsen and the others on the squad have perfect military records, are at least 5 feet 10 inches tall, have completed arduous physical training and have committed large chunks of Arlington Cemetery history to memory.

For Johnsen, a 23-year-old native of Roseville, Calif., joining the squad has been like winning a wonderful new family.

When she paced the black mat behind the tomb on her first official march, Johnsen wore the Size 9 shoes given to her by Squad Leader Daniel Torrez.

``When coming here, I had to have real leather, male, low quarters, and we happened to wear the same size,'' Johnsen said. ``He exceeded what he had to do.''

Johnsen, who joined the Army in 1992, served as a military police officer in Korea and Fort Monmouth, N.J., before deciding to seek her new role after watching Old Guard troops ``guarding the Unknowns.''

``I knew it was reachable,'' she said.

For some of the ordinary Americans who were visiting the tomb Friday, Johnsen's first walk provided a little extra sparkle to a moving experience.

Cpl. Todd Brunouri adjusted the belt of Sgt. Heather Lynn Johnsen

before she took over Friday as the first woman guard at the Tomb of

the Unknown Soldier.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    This is a bad idea. We all know how women make us 'dig our own graves and lie in them.'

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    This is a bad idea. We all know how women make us 'dig our own graves and lie in them.'
    Right, and we have to provide the shovels.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Oh Term...don't be so bitter you are not even married yet.

And in reference to the actual post and not all the men whining........good for her! Bravo! You go girl!
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    What is happening to our traditions.

Women are to stay at home cook and have baby's.

NOT.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That's an incredible honor for her, and not to detract at all from your post Retmilleo909, but she received the badge maybe 10 years ago. There are three females now.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    That's an incredible honor for her, and not to detract at all from your post Retmilleo909, but she received the badge maybe 10 years ago. There are three females now.
    :And I thought it was a typo. Then that explains the discrepancy in her DOB and enlistment date, which would have made her about 7 years old. Thanks Buttercup, you'd make a great detective Sgt. No, make that a lieutenant.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Retmilleo909 View Post
    :And I thought it was a typo. Then that explains the discrepancy in her DOB and enlistment date, which would have made her about 7 years old. Thanks Buttercup, you'd make a great detective Sgt. No, make that a lieutenant.
    Can't be a Lt. she actually pays attention to whats going on .
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Haha, I just have a lot of trivia floating around in my head.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Haha, I just have a lot of trivia floating around in my head.
    Please keep it there BC, 'cause I may need help again real soon, and I'll holler for you.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Please keep it there BC, 'cause I may need help again real soon, and I'll holler for you.

Thread Information