Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

A moment of recognition

Our military is at war. I am truly in awe of our military and what they can and have accomplished in service to our country. Our military is the greatest of any country anywhere, hands down. What some of our current military will be exposed to and have to live with from now on will be overwhelming task indeed. Trying not to take away from that I would like to take the time to recognize another group of people. A group I am a little more familiar with.
    I was once told that the only pat on the back you will receive on a regular basis being a law enforcement officer is the one you give yourself. I try not to pat myself on the back even after a job well done. I try and work hard at modesty. I helps keep me grounded and focused so I do not become entangled in my own personal gratification. That being said, pats on the back are not a bad thing but certainly should not have to be given by ourselves.
    There are still enforcement officers that work without the benefit of ballistic protection. There are programs in place all over the country to try and assist officers with the purchase of ballistic protection because their jurisdictions canít afford it. Did that stop the officers from responding to their latest violent domestic in progress call or active shooter call? No. Did that stop some officer from foot pursuing a known armed suspect into a safe haven of the suspects own choice? No. Now thatís a call to duty. There is a young man in my charge that arrives every day for work with no more knowledge than what I gave him during his field training. Patiently waiting for a chance to go to an academy for his standard police training. Even the military receives standard training prior to deployment.
    Law enforcement officers are exposed to all levels of violence, death, and society degradation every day. Not only are their lives in danger but those of their close and extended families and friends. Among other things some officers contemplate corruption on all sorts of levels for all sorts of reasons and excuses. Being saddled with low pay and inexcusable benefits does not help. Sometimes they contemplate suicide. Iím sure there is a variety of reasons why but Iím sure the demons of this job are right up there. This occurs every day for cops. Not over seas in the sands of the middle east or the jungles of an Asian country or on the waters of the Pacific or an area seemingly forgotten until it becomes a military strategic point. No. It occurs right here at home. Every day.
    One Violent Crime occurs every 22.1 seconds One Aggravated Assault occurs every 35.5 seconds One Robbery occurs every 1.2 minutes One Forcible Rape occurs every 5.5 minutes One Murder occurs every 32.4 minutes One Property Crime occurs every 3.0 seconds One Larceny Theft occurs every 4.5 seconds One Burglary occurs every 14.7 seconds One Motor Vehicle Theft occurs every 25.3 seconds
    Who is guaranteed to respond to every one of these events. Law enforcement. Not the military, not medical personnel, not fire fighters. Cops. (no offense intended to any medical or fire personnel here)
    Death notifications to parents are not made by a letter and usually not a phone call. After the officer works the homicide, no matter the cause, observe the carnage, and attempt to discover the cause, they generally then make a death notification in person and witness the consequence of that notification in person. This happens on a copís battle field consistently throughout a career. Howís that for hard. Officers work the latest incident of well known domestic violators, fighting and arresting sometimes both parties, knowing full well the parties have a better than 95% chance of being together again and knowing full well there is little chance of it going to court. Officers work long hours, holidays, weekends and days off making extra money and get to spend less and less time with their significant others. Less and less time with their children as they grow older. But they sure spend a lot of time with societies repeat offenders. Cops do this at a job they have chosen as a career. A job where dedication and desire for community service supersedes a paycheck, or the lack thereof.
    With all that and then some try and work morale in there somewhere. Have morale when your high ranking administration is an appointed puppet of a liberal town, county or city. Oh please enforce the law mister officer just donít do it to any of us. How do you consistently do these things everyday when your department is hauling you in and reprimanding you because you gave a smart ass comment back to a smart ass driver on a traffic stop? Please. Officers being reprimanded because their arrest stats show a high amount of resisting charges. It was told to me once not to charge as many people with resisting because it will look bad on me in court when, not if but when I am civilly sued. Being told everyone runs from you because you are too aggressive. How hard is it to understand people run because they have warrants, guns, drugs, or maybe, just maybe they committed a crime and werenĎt really scared of the police? We want you to catch these criminals and we will accuse you of being inept at your job if you donít but donít pursue them because someone may get hurt.
    Heros come in all shapes, sizes, and walks of life but there is one group of heros I hold close to my heart. And no the military is not number one. I thank God for the country I live in and those who protect it and me from itís enemies. There will always be a special place in my soul for those in service to this country and even those who have given the ultimate sacrifice in that service. I do not wish to distract from that honor and service. Little can be said or done to match it. Ever. However my heart holds a special place for another hero. My hat is tipped to those of you who serve your country, state, county, city or town. Having blatant disregard for your own personal safety and that of your loved ones to ensure the safety of the general public. I know what you do and for most of you I know why. It is an incredible service you provide and I consider my self proud to be grouped among you. We may not always see eye to eye or agree with our written or spoken word but we are family. All over this country and all over this world. There is a thin blue line between the ďsheepĒ and the ďwolvesĒ and I am so proud to stand here with you. You deserve a pat on the back and much more. More than can ever be given. These are just my words and it is all I have to give. But they are heart felt and freely given. Persons that wear the badge of Honor and Duty in legitimate dedication to protection and service of their communities will always have my respect and love.
    I offer all of you here a moment of recognition. You deserve it. We are at war here at home too. Itís just a slightly different kind of war with a different kind of soldier. You are all warriors in your own right. Carry on. I will appreciate you and your service long after I am no longer able to provide it myself.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Very beautiful post. Well said! Bravo!
    Virtual pats on the back for each and everyone one of you out there! Thank you!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Outstanding Post!!!!
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I will bring up a few things you do, that you may not even think about.

When you raise money for the young husband whose wife was murdered to replace the door that had to be taken into evidence.

When you put yourself between a news camera and a victim.

When you stop by and check on a victim as you check your beat.

You are heroes to me, and always will be.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    nicely said
    i know that it was something we made sure to try to do within our own squad- with either on duty gathering for dinner or bringing in food for roll call and sharing like that.
    it was important that we kept close and told eachother that we were appreciated
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO

"Stupid should hurt."

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Rep sent!
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Thank you for this moving and insightful post, Lewisipso, and thanks to all the LEOs for serving as the thin blue line between the sheep and the wolves.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Rep sent. Nice post...thank you sir for the post and the service. You are also appreciated.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

AlDeputy is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Great post.
    But you're a deputy, you can't give me a ticket!

Yea Ok, sign here and press hard there are 4 copies!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That's a wonderful post, lewisipso.

carolina is offline Master Officer
    I agree that's a great post, and very heartfelt, awesome.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I wish I could be so elegant with my words.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Thread Information