Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

Oatmeal raisin cookies.

My wife has been sick for the past few months and I've been doing the cooking, house cleaning, washing clothes and a zillion other things that house wives normally do.
    In addition to making soups, salads and cooking the usual routine of vegetables, meats, Etc. I've been baking a few pies using the store boughten pie crusts, making muffins, cakes, brownies and cookies using either Betty Crocker or Duncan and Hines boxed mixes (IMO Betty Crocker is a lot better than D & H)
    Tonight I was craving cookies so I made a batch of oatmeal and raisin cookies from scratch, using the recipe on the back of the Quaker old fashioned oat meal box.
    I don't mean to brag, but they turned out PURRRRfectly.
    I just wish everyone was here to try one with a glass of cold milk or a cup of coffee.
    I've never done much cooking in the past, but since I've been put on KP I kinda like it.
    From watching the food channel I've picked up a lot of pointers and like to experiment with various dishes like spaghetti, ravioli, lasagna and other pasta dishes. I add jalapena flavored black olives, diced pimentos and extra spices to pastas to give it more zest.
    I know you ladies just love to cook but do any of you guys do any cooking, or like to cook on a stove or grill, other than heating up a frozen TV dinner in a microwave?

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I like cooking.

Being as I no longer live at home, and am unmarried....tv dinners and pizza get old quick.

I also LOVE grilling...I grilled out two days ago in the pouring rain just because I wanted some brats. And brats are no good unless they are cooked on the grill.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Hannah87 is offline Giggidy... Giggidy..
    Verified LEO
    I'm not a dude but Jake (213th) is an amazing cook. He makes a really good ham. I'm waiting to try his grilled stuff cause I know he loves to grill as well.
    May you rest in peace Daddy and may you never hurt again. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again.

12/12/44- 2/26/09

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I don't cook and I'm not very good at it. I need work in that department.

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    For forty years, my wife wouldn't let me cook because I made "too much of a mess in HER kitchen". I always cleaned up after I was finished, but of course it wasn't clean enough for her liking. Naturally!! Grrrrrr!

Actually, I've always like to cook, but the only time I was able to, was if she was sick and unable to. Now that she's an ex (for 2 1/2 years), I had to start doing my own cooking.

I won't say it's always great, but it is always edible. I've learned to take different recipes and adjust the ingredients to get different results. Experimenting is always fun.

Tonight I made some shrimp chow mein, and tomorrow I think it's gonna be a meat loaf (southern style, of course). Last Sunday I made a big ol' pot of crawfish gumbo.

I bail my 87 year-old dad out of his nursing home for all the holidays, and cook for him. He hasn't complained, so I guess I'm doing OK with my cooking.

I've occasionally had friends over to eat and had the same result - no complaints.

I also love to grill - steaks, burgers, and the like.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Ah, good cooking = good eating. I dislike any box dinners. It is not as good as from scratch! Specially baked goods, you have to make baked goods from hand not by box. I can whip up a good double layer chocolate cake with chocolate frosting all from scratch! mmmmm, may have to whip something up tom. Good Post! and good for you for putting in some kitchen time I am sure the family enjoys the food
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    If it's not frozen and can't be grilled, I don't "cook" it.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I can burn water.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My wife would love you for your cooking skills. Unfortunately I don't cook beyond the microwave and grilling on occasion.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I can't cook. I can barely make Ramen noodle dinners.

My wife on the other hand is an amazing cook and even better baker. Our son has problems with the artificial flavorings, preservatives, and coloring in food. As a result everything my wife makes has to be cooked from scratch. If he has a sandwich she made the bread.

It's great because she is really good at cooking and baking and nothing is pre-prepared from a box. Good stuff!

I have the stomach to proove it too.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    Since I've been the chief cook and bottle washer and all areas in between lately, I was wondering as to how men feel about cooking.
    It's claimed by many gourmets and food experts that men are better cooks/chefs than woman. This is a question I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole when in the presence of all these lovely ladies.
    I do know that most Chefs that cook for popular and famous restaurants, hotels, resorts, Etc. are paid big money.
    I've heard there are a few restarants in NYC where their head Chefs are paid so well that they have chauffeurs and other help working for them.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Retmilleo909 View Post
    Since I've been the chief cook and bottle washer and all areas in between lately, I was wondering as to how men feel about cooking.
    It's claimed by many gourmets and food experts that men are better cooks/chefs than woman. This is a question I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole when in the presence of all these lovely ladies.
    I do know that most Chefs that cook for popular and famous restaurants, hotels, resorts, Etc. are paid big money.
    I've heard there are a few restarants in NYC where their head Chefs are paid so well that they have chauffeurs and other help working for them.
    I disagree with any of those so-called experts who claim that men are better chefs than women. It's been a male dominated field for a very long time, there simply aren't as many female chefs (however, there are more female than male pastry chefs), but there are some phenomenal female chefs out there.

Being a high profile or "star" chef can be very, very lucrative. Even unknown chefs can command a pretty nice salary, depending on their experience. Thanks to the Food Network and shows like Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef, there has been a renewed interest in cooking - various styles, ingredients, methods, etc., are being brought into the homes of people who previously did not have that exposure or interest, which in my opinion, is wonderful. On the flip side, cooking has become entertainment. Culinary schools have seen tremendous growth over the last several years because a lot of people are looking to culinary arts as a career choice with the desire to be the next star chef and yet have no passion for food. There are thousands of chefs out there with true passion for food doing brilliant, creative work that are never and will never be recognized outside of their peers or their dedicated customers - which brings its own satisfaction, albeit not monetary.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    It's been a male dominated field for a very long time, there simply aren't as many female chefs (however, there are more female than male pastry chefs)
    What do you think accounts for this? Seems counterintuitive, especially given that women on average do more cooking than men in the general population.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    For forty years, my wife wouldn't let me cook because I made "too much of a mess in HER kitchen". I always cleaned up after I was finished, but of course it wasn't clean enough for her liking. Naturally!! Grrrrrr!

Actually, I've always like to cook, but the only time I was able to, was if she was sick and unable to. Now that she's an ex (for 2 1/2 years), I had to start doing my own cooking.

Holy crap man,
    Sorry to hear that.
    Thats ahelluva long investment with someone to be an ex now.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Thread Information