Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Ghosts

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Ghosts

I don't know who this was written by, but I found it on the internet and thought it was interesting. If anyone can point out an author please let me know so I can give them credit.

Someone asked me the other day if I believed in ghosts. I said I wasn't sure but then I started thinking about it and I realized that I see ghosts every day in my job. They all seem to hang around in the same places and I see them every time I pass those places.

There's the 16-year-old girl lying just off the roadway of a National Parkway next to a crumpled car that is resting against a huge pine tree. This ghost is covered by an old bedspread that someone got out of a car. When the sheet is pulled away from her face, there's not a mark on it. She is beautiful and she looks like she is asleep, as if a gentle shake of her shoulder will bring her back to life but it won't. That ghost appears every time I hear the Kenny Chesney song "Who You'd be Today".

When I pass a certain oak tree on a residential street, I see the ghost of a man in his early 20's lying at the base of the tree. He has eight bullet wounds and he is gasping for breath. I've heard that sound before and I know that he will not live. His daughters, who are pre-teen, are standing nearby crying. They were walking with him when he was shot.

Then there is a certain curve in a road where I see many ghosts. The man who hit another car head on and burned to death as I watched because his body was pinned and no one could get him out, the young kid who's truck struck a guardrail and overturned, ejecting him into another guardrail. I can still smell the smell of an alcoholic drink in the air around that one when I pass.

When I pass a certain retirement home, I see the ghost of an old man who is in a wheelchair in a bathroom. There is an unbelievable amount of congealed blood on the floor from his slit wrists. I keep thinking how he died alone and so sad on the first year anniversary of his wife's death. I can't get the picture out of my head of him rolling into the bathroom in the middle of the night and getting the razor blade.

When I go down one street, I see two ghosts. One is a woman lying in the street with gunshot wounds to the head and chest. One of the wounds is to her left eye but her glasses are still on, undamaged. I think how strange that seems. Her dad, who was with her asks me if she is going to be OK and I have to tell him that she isn't ever going to be OK again. Her estranged husband is in a nearby yard with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. His shirt is pulled up a bit and I see something on his chest just under the shirt. I lift the shirt and see that he has a picture of their four-year-old child taped to his chest.

You ask if I believe in ghosts. Yes, these are just a few of them that I see everyday. I'm a police officer...
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    PM on the way.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Maybe we should ask GhostCop about this.

Seriously, this is quite a good story about what you guys go through over the course of your careers. I only hope that everyone here stays living and is able to cope with it all and not become ghosts themselves.

Another song that rings true here is The Little Girl by John Michael Montgomery. Tears me up every time I hear it.

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/m...girl-7270.html

Her parents never took the young girl to church
    Never spoke of His name
    Never read her His word
    Two non-believers walking lost in this world
    Took their baby with them
    What a sad little girl

Her daddy drank all day and mommy did drugs
    Never wanted to play
    Or give kisses and hugs
    She'd watch the TV and sit there on the couch
    While her mom fell asleep
    And her daddy went out

And the drinking and the fighting
    just got worse every night
    Behind their couch she'd be hiding
    Oh what a sad little life
    And like it always does, the bad just got worse
    With every slap and every curse
    Until her daddy in a drunk rage one night
    Used a gun on her mom and then took his life

And some people from the city took the girl far away
    To a new mom and a new dad
    kisses and hugs everyday
    Her first day of Sunday school the teacher walked in
    And a small little girl
    Stared at a picture of Him

She said I know that man up there on that cross
    I don't know His name
    But I know He got off
    Cause He was there in my old house
    and held me close to His side
    As I hid there behind our couch
    The night that my parents died

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

GhostCop is offline Sergeant
    Do I see Ghosts..............You better believe it. I live and work in Casper. What more likely place to see Ghosts.
    "Any community's arm of force - military, police, security - needs people in it who can do necessary evil, and yet not be made evil by it. To do only the necessary and no more. To constantly question the assumptions, to stop the slide into atrocity."

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    I've seen one in Tombstone, AZ. But Ft. Leavenworth (where I work) is haunted. Supposedly one of the most haunted places in the Midwest. I haven't seen any ghost's here but I've had some very strange experiences that I can't explain any other way.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The four year old on a bicycle who was struck by a pickup. His aunt held him as he died in the middle of the street. The back of his head was split open.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information