Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

What are the best and worst parts about being a LEO?

Other than preventing someone from being injured or killed or saving a life, what do you think are the best and worst parts of being a LEO?
    I use to enjoy watching some dirtbag, who had set fire to an occupied house at 2 AM, sweat and squirm when the jury came out with a guilty verdict.
    The worst part was stake-outs and working all hours of the days and nights.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    best parts:
    Having a close feeling of family with my brothers. I was an only child and was not close with family... so having a squad that is like a family really meant a lot to me. The action was great too... every day waking up not knowing what stupidity I would walk into next and then laughing about it later.

worst parts:
    Being hung up in court to have it hold over another day, when I just want to be out and active. Sitting on a perimeter for hours and hours and hours with out my emergency cooler stocked in the car . Having to use the bathroom something fierce and the dispatcher gives you an emergency call while you are trying to wipe....
    Not being able to just sit and eat a meal in peace without that wierd hiding feeling in the car.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Best part:

The Camaraderie, especially when you go to other states

The worst part:

Lawyers
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    When I was living in Toledo and waiting for the results of the Civil Service test, I met a TPD detective in a bar one night. Not knowing then that it wasn't kosher to nerd a cop with stupid questions that he's heard a million times, I bought him a drink and hammered away. I will borrow from him to answer this question, which is one of the same I asked him. "The best and worst parts of the job? The people, and the people."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    The best part- legally kicking the shit out of the bad guy who desperately deserves it, then watch them get a good long sentence in court later.

Worse part- listening to non certified wannabes telling everyone they will ticket a cop if they stop in "their" town if they ever get hired.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Before going with the state and working as a street Cop there wasn't a best part only the worst.
    Hassling with cursing, sweaty, puking and wild swinging drunk and disorderlies and trying to hold them on their feet till the paddy wagon arrived are nightmares that still flash back in my wildest dreams.
    Also, having to appear in court as the arrestng officer on these dirtbags the following morning, after working the graveyard shift, was like hell on wheels. Back then, the judge held city court every day but Saturdays and Sundays.
    Unless things have drastically changed, I feel for and can sympathize with and salute all you fine city Cops if you have to go through with this on a daily basis.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Best: Rescuing a 56 year old lady who was being raped and sodomized by a 18 year old, high on glue sniffing, then dumping the ass hat when he tried to stab me. Worse, same incident forced me to retire due to a herniated disk recieved avoiding the knife.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Best: waking up every time and thanking God that I am doing what I am meant to do

Worst: watching people's loved ones hurt because they crashed and killed themselves and/or someone else, and not be able to do something about it
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by Retmilleo909 View Post
    Before going with the state and working as a street Cop there wasn't a best part only the worst.
    Hassling with cursing, sweaty, puking and wild swinging drunk and disorderlies and trying to hold them on their feet till the paddy wagon arrived are nightmares that still flash back in my wildest dreams.
    Also, having to appear in court as the arrestng officer on these dirtbags the following morning, after working the graveyard shift, was like hell on wheels. Back then, the judge held city court every day but Saturdays and Sundays.
    Unless things have drastically changed, I feel for and can sympathize with and salute all you fine city Cops if you have to go through with this on a daily basis.
    yeah.. it would really suck doing this job via the stage coach days.. (thats a joke)
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

baumshoe is offline Baumshoe Law Enforcement Supply
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Best- Working with my partners. Worse-Dealing with members of management that dont know nothing.

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Best thing- End-of-Shift.

Worst thing- Getting up to go to work.

What can I say- I'm in a slump!
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    "The best and worst parts of the job? The people, and the people."
    I'm just going to steal that line.

I can't stand the majority of the people we deal with. And that's not just including the drunks and addicts. That includes attorneys, judges, victims who protect their abusers, liars in general, etc.

But in the same token, I love my coworkers and am willing to die for them. And even though you don't hear it often, hearing a "thank you" or something similar from someone that you honestly, truly, really did help is an unbelievable high that I can't even explain. Especially when it's something significant like a sex assault, robbery, domestic abuse, etc.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Best: Comraderie. The Brotherhoood. Whatever you want to call it. Absolutely the best in the worst of times even if sometimes on a daily basis you want to poke the eyes out of a co-worker. Working like hell to prove a case and then seeing that person go to prison. And I agree with JMur..sometimes a simple thank you can mean so damn much.

Worst: Watching the same people commit the same crimes year after year without receiving just punishment. Watching someone you know is guilty of a heinous crime get off because of some damn techinicality that has nothing to do with the case itself ("So Sgt So and So..you didn't cross your "t"s so we will let Johnny Shitbag rapist out of jail"). The juvenile court system. Worthless...completely worthless.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    yeah.. it would really suck doing this job via the stage coach days.. (thats a joke)
    Ahh!!.. to be holding those reins and to be in control of that old stage coach again, when Miranda was just another Italian pizza spinner and the ACLU was just a few meaningless letters.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Retmilleo909 View Post
    and the ACLU was just a few meaningless letters.
    In my opinion it still is.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information