Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

AN APOLOGY FROM LAW ENFORCEMENT (TO THE PUBLIC)

To The General Public,

I owe you an apology. I'm not perfect. All humans make mistakes, and I've paid for every one of them. In thirty years of law enforcement, I've also seen more than you'll ever know.

I've taken knives, clubs, guns, drugs and violent people out of cars. Teens and otherwise. I've seen drunk, drugged, and distracted drivers of all ages who've been dangerous to everyone on the road. I've been in more fights than I can count with those drivers and passengers. All the while risking my life because of passing traffic that almost never slows down...much less stops to offer help..

I've picked up bodies off the roadways. Drivers, passengers, pedestrians and otherwise. I've seen almost every kind of death you can think of. Because of my duties, I've almost died and I've lost friends and coworkers.

I've taken that long walk to the front door to tell the parent, spouse, child or relative that their loved one isn't ever coming home. I've borne the verbal agony and even threats because these poor people can't stand their grief.

I've seen husbands beat wives and vice versa. Parents beat children and vice that versa as well. I've seen the results when people kill each other. I've also had the "victims" jump on my back when I try to take the guilty or the batterer to jail.

I've seen and heard people sneer and snicker when I speed on the highway. They usually call my boss to complain or say something they think is humorous about "coffee shops and doughnuts." Yet these same people get in my face, remind me they pay my salary and scream at me when I'm not at their home thirty seconds after they call.

I've seen the sick. Those who are physically ill as well as mentally. I've listened to merchants who rightly complain about the homeless killing their business. And listened to the transient who has no options. I've seen those whose addiction to drugs, alcohol or a homeless lifestyle doesn't allow any fast or easy solution.

I've heard the family and neighborhood problem that took years to develop. Now, I'm expected to solve it in minutes. And if I fail, I can be sued for my house, car, bank account and I'll lose my career. I may even lose my freedom, for a bad situation that may require a decision in mere seconds.

I've answered the calls of "shots fired; robbery in progress; rape in progress; homicide just occurred;" and every possible crime and inhumanity you can name. I've seen the eyes of a child when meth has taken Mommy and Daddy. I've seen the the haunted eyes of a parent who suddenly knows their life is no longer their own...but instead is possessed by their drug. I've seen crimes you've never dreamed of and won't ever see on "Cops".

As a fellow officer once told me, "Cops live in the worst twenty minutes of other people's lives.

Yes. I may have talked brusquely to your dear child. Or gotten you out of the car. Asked you to take your hands out of your pockets or something similar. But you may want to consider that one of those "kids" I dealt with in our lovely area came the closest to killing me in all the years I worked. He had a loaded .357 magnum hidden under the shirt he asked me to let him put on.

Thank God, I refused. Gee. Looking back on that...I guess I was being rude.

I've seen my employer's bargaining agents come to salary negotiations and literally say "Yes. We have the money to give you raises..and ,no...you can't have them.

I've seen my wife scrimp and scratch trying to raise four children on a cop's salary. I've seen my kids "grin and bare it" when they found I couldn't come to their special events because "Daddy doesn't work regular hours." I've also seen my kids take up a burden they never should have had to, when one of your little darlings called my child a "piglet". Or worse yet cursed or hit my child because I took their family member to jail.

I've seen my whole family wait for me. When I worked nights, weekends and holidays, while you were snug at home...and my whole family did without me way to much of the time.

I've also seen the faces of toddlers and children who were lost and whom my co-workers and I were privileged to place back in the arms of a crying mother. I've seen the bleeding I was able to stop, the heart I was able to get a chance to re-start and the crime victims my comrades and I were able to protect.

I've got the faces in my mind of people whose lives my partners and I saved. Yes. I have my success stories...and my failures. And I've seen the nights when I can't go to sleep or get back to because of the faces, faces and the "what if" factor in every case.

And if you never see one thousandth this much, then law enforcement has done its job...and after all...if cops had a rabid need to be liked, we'd have become firemen.

Trust me. If I was rude or insensitive to your child or anyone else, I'll pay for it. And I'll still put on my uniform, ballistic vest, gun belt and badges. And I'll go out again.

Because that's what professionals do.

Any experienced peace officer in the nation could have written this, so please sign me;

Any Cop, Any Town, USA

I've seen many of this type of Law Enforcement memo floating around the web. When I received this tonight from a friend, I thought surely this ranks up there as one of the best I've read yet.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    That was wonderful, Pudge. I personally want to thank each and every one of you in LE that go out and do what you do. It is definitely not lost on THIS citizen.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

sweetpea is offline Master Officer
    I do know that it takes a special person to do the job that you Pudge and all LEO's around the country do and there are so many that are greatful for what you do for us. I wish you could here more of the Thank You's than you do. God Bless you Pudge, your Family and all LEO's. Thank You for being there for all of us.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f.../ukbluejw2.gif

"When you feel dog tired at night, it may be because you've growled all day long."

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    It is society that should be apologizing to you for leaving you with inadequate pay, resources, and staffing and then blaming you for being unable to prevent all the undesirable consequences of flawed social policies crafted by politicians with little understanding of what you face on the streets.

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    It is society that should be apologizing to you for leaving you with inadequate pay, resources, and staffing and then blaming you for being unable to prevent all the undesirable consequences of flawed social policies crafted by politicians with little understanding of what you face on the streets.
    IMO, the vast majority of people, both young and old, respect and like LEO's, appreciate what they're doing and realize the dangers they face every day they start a new tour of duty.
    Most state, county and city governments have a lot of employees to pay and projects to fund with a limited amount of tax monies flowing into their coffers. In my city LE funding is the number one project, other than education where the mayor, county commissioner, council members, et al try every year to juggle the budget where they can give the LEO's a raise.
    I think most LEO's know that local LE has never been a high paying job and if it were only for the pay incentive there would be few qualified and dedicated LEO's on the pay rolls.
    It takes a special kind of person to work LE and it's something that gets into their blood from childhood, where they want to help people, enforce the laws, protect the citizens and make their communities a safer and better place to live.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Very Nice Pudge..
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

carolina is offline Master Officer
    I agree, Pudge that was a pretty awesome. More citizens should let you guys/gals know just how much we appreciate the dedication it takes to be able to deal with those kinds of things, and then go home to your family and pray to God that your kids never have to see that side of life.

I think that it does hit home much more when citizens have been exposed to the dumb things people do as described above, or have to work a schedule like you do, that includes weekends, and holidays or both.

I for one would like to say that I appreciate the courage it takes to walk into many of those situations. I've been in a few in my youth, while they were not by choice, I was still there, and while it wasn't LE related on my part, it was just as dangerous, and LE was only moments behind. I think that is partly why I have such respect for the jobs that you do!

Thank you from this Citizen.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Nice Pudge, thanks for sharing!
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Retmilleo909 View Post
    IMO, the vast majority of people, both young and old, respect and like LEO's, appreciate what they're doing and realize the dangers they face every day they start a new tour of duty.

Most state, county and city governments have a lot of employees to pay and projects to fund with a limited amount of tax monies flowing into their coffers. In my city LE funding is the number one project, other than education where the mayor, county commissioner, council members, et al try every year to juggle the budget where they can give the LEO's a raise.
    I don't think most people "respect and like" cops. Certainly not my experience. Perhaps you live and work somewhere that does. I can safely say that we are the LAST priority of city council when it comes to budget time. I think most people don't like law enforcement and view it as a necessary evil.

I appreciate the few who do understand what we do and respect us for it but that's a limited amount of the population.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That is great, Pudge. Thank you.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I don't think most people "respect and like" cops. Certainly not my experience. Perhaps you live and work somewhere that does. I can safely say that we are the LAST priority of city council when it comes to budget time. I think most people don't like law enforcement and view it as a necessary evil.

I appreciate the few who do understand what we do and respect us for it but that's a limited amount of the population.

I think your perspective is totally based on what shift you work.

Day shift, there's plenty of nice people out there.

Night shift, where I work anyway, everyone is a piece of garbage.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I think your perspective is totally based on what shift you work.

Day shift, there's plenty of nice people out there.

Night shift, where I work anyway, everyone is a piece of garbage.
    There's truth to that! I'm not necessarily talking about our "clients" as much as I am the politicians and shot callers who always spurn us and relegate us to the dregs of the budget pile.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The general public demands that the general public be protected by enforcing the law of the land. As long as it doesn't pertain to them. And the general public elects politicians who appoint the "shot callers". Budgetary restraints are either punishment to make law enforcement bend to the will of others or the result of piss poor money management and corruption. Either way the public that demands protection are doomed by their own hand. Sometimes without even knowing it.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

GhostCop is offline Sergeant
    That was outstanding Pudge. Thanks for sharing.
    "Any community's arm of force - military, police, security - needs people in it who can do necessary evil, and yet not be made evil by it. To do only the necessary and no more. To constantly question the assumptions, to stop the slide into atrocity."

Thread Information