Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO

Please Help Out a Brother Officer

We were contacted by Americas Most Wanted. They asked if we could help a fellow officer out.

Verified LEO
    Buffalo, NY Detective In The Running To Become

America’s Most Wanted All-Star Grand Prize Winner

Controversial Lawman Helped Clear Wrongly-Accused Suspects

A detective from Buffalo, NY whose work helped clear a man wrongly-imprisoned on rape charges and a woman accused of killing her daughter – and who is now in the middle of a controversy because of his actions – has been chosen by the public as a finalist in the 2008 America’s Most Wanted All-Star Contest. Now, voting is underway to determine if he’ll win the $10,000 Grand Prize in the contest, which is sponsored by Sprint.

Detective Dennis Delano is a member of the Buffalo P.D. cold case task force. His work in the case of the notorious “Bike Path Rapist" was key in uncovering long-forgotten biological evidence that led to the exoneration of Anthony Capozzi, who’d spent 22 years in prison for two rapes he did not commit. The evidence led to the capture of the real "Bike Path Rapist." In another case, Detective Delano helped uncover evidence that exonerated Lynn Dejac, who spent more than 13 years behind bars on charges that she killed her 13-year-old daughter. Although both Anthony Capozzi and Lynn Dejac credit Detective Delano with saving their lives, some of his actions in the Dejac case also landed Detective Delano in hot water with his department, and he’s currently fighting a suspension.

The controversy didn’t prevent Detective Delano from collecting enough votes to become the fifth of eight weekly finalists to be chosen by the public in the AMW All-Star Contest, which honors the heroic work performed by the nation’s first responders.

From April 17, 2008 through May 5, 2008 viewers throughout America will have the opportunity to vote for Detective Delano once a day, everyday, by logging onto the America’s Most Wanted website, www.amw.com. Sprint customers can also vote for Detective Delano by texting “5” to 4269 (4AMW).

Once the voting is complete and the 2008 AMW All-Star Grand Prize winner has been chosen, he’ll receive a $10,000 check presented by John Walsh on May 17th at the NASCAR SPRINT Cup Series™ All-Star Race at Lowe’s Motor Speedway in Charlotte, North Carolina. Let’s see Detective Delano win this contest. He deserves it!

Vote for Detective Delano! Please go to: http://www.amw.com/allstar/2008/nomi...il.cfm?id=5274

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I went and voted.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    you can vote everyday for the next 13 days. Let show a force

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Honored detective suspended without pay, charged with defying orders

By Stephen T. Watson and Vanessa Thomas - News Staff Reporters
    Updated: 02/29/08 2:30 PM

Detective Dennis A. Delano, an outspoken member of the Buffalo Police Cold Case Squad, faces departmental charges and has been suspended without pay, the police commissioner announced this afternoon.

Commissioner H. McCarthy Gipson has charged Delano with defying orders from his superiors and with releasing a videotape and other investigative materials without authorization, Gipson said in a statement.

"The charges against Mr. Delano are extremely serious in nature and his actions have compromised the integrity of the Buffalo Police Department," the statement said.

Police sources previously said Gipson had suspended Delano with pay this week for allegedly providing an investigative videotape from the Lynn DeJac case to a local television station.
    The 28-year department veteran has publicly asserted he does not believe DeJac killed her 13-year-old daughter, Crystallynn Girard, in 1993.

Delano also has criticized the Erie County District Attorney's Office for accepting new forensic findings that indicate Crystallynn died of a cocaine overdose and not strangulation.

Department sources previously told The News that they feel Delano is being unfairly punished for speaking out and for continuing to work on the DeJac case against the orders of top police officials.

The Delano supporters also told The News that it's not clear who leaked the videotape to WGRZ-TV.

Delano was honored for his diligent work on the Bike Path Killer case, during which he helped win the release of the wrongfully convicted Anthony Capozzi.

Sources had said that Delano was stripped of his gun and his badge when he was suspended with pay earlier this week.

Delano was suspended without pay Friday according to the provisions of the police contract, Gipson said.

"This by no means, diminishes the good work Detective Delano has done as a member of our highly effective Cold Case Squad. But I want to stress, no individual is above the rules and regulations of his or her workplace," the commissioner's statement said.

The video footage in question was aired on Channel 2's Monday night newscasts.

The video, showing Crystallynn's bedroom where she was found dead, was taken just over one hour after police arrived on the scene. The bedroom was in disarray with bloodied bed sheets, a mattress on the floor, and an overturned nightstand.

Police sources say department officials did not release the video footage and are outraged that it was released to local television media and shown to the public.

WIVB-TV, Channel 4, also aired similar footage Tuesday night, officials said.

Erie County District Attorney Frank J. Clark said Delano's suspension did not originate from a complaint from his office.

"I have never spoken to anyone from the Buffalo Police Department about Dennis Delano," said Clark. "We didn't have anything to do with this."

During Channel 2's story, reporter Scott Brown traveled to Washington, D.C., where two forensic experts reviewed their video footage, along with other investigative documents connected to Crystallynn's death.

According to Channel 2's story, Delano took the day off work and also went to Washington, where he spoke to experts about her death.

Clark said if Delano did provide the video footage to the media, it may not be a criminal offense.

"Until I have all the facts, I can't determine whether this is criminal or not," said Clark. "Hypothetically, on the face of it, I don't known that this is a crime unless he got some benefit in return. It could be unethical conduct, but I don't know."

Police insiders say Delano has a flawless police record and this is the first time that he is facing departmental charges.

Excellent job on this officers part. Kudos to him!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    That's terrible how he got in trouble with his dept for doing such good. I voted for him.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Voted, and will continue to do so!

Let's help this guy out and show him the brothers and sisters won't leave him stranded.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    He has my vote. IMO, it's as important to help free an innocent person from prison, as it is to help put a guilty one behind bars.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    But I want to stress, no individual is above the rules and regulations of his or her workplace," the commissioner's statement said.
    That's the crux of it. He may be a great cop but he broke the rules and he broke them knowing there would be consequences. When you take that risk you know there will be discipline. You take that discipline like a professional and you return to your job.

I definitely don't think it merits prosecution or termination, especially for a model employee. But I'm sure I'd face suspension for releasing evidence to the press. No big deal.

If he deserves the award for his work freeing an innocent man and getting the real criminal then that's terrific.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I voted! Like Reca said, you can vote once a day until May 6 - and when you vote again, make sure you leave a comment on the article on our main page. It would be great for anyone viewing the site to see support from our members!

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Voted and will continue to do so until the 6th

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Voted..lets go everyone..get your votes in...Det. Delano absolutely deserves it!
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm not sure of the circumstances are behind the releasing of the video or the disobeying of orders. The article did not go into much detail. Aside from the not explained I think it's awesome he went the extra mile to free an innocent person. I hope that the accusations turn out to be false or he believes he had a good reason for violating his department policy. At least he must feel justified in what he did. Although not acceptable at first light perhaps it was necessary. I'll refrain judgement until I know more, if ever, and congradulate him on the accomplishment.

Commissioner H. McCarthy Gipson has charged Delano with defying orders from his superiors and with releasing a videotape and other investigative materials without authorization, Gipson said in a statement.

Delano also has criticized the Erie County District Attorney's Office for accepting new forensic findings that indicate Crystallynn died of a cocaine overdose and not strangulation.

Maybe it's just me but he may be a little irritated that the new evidence distracts from the fact she was strangled. It may not be what she died from but strangulation is not something that needs be overlooked or diluted.

Anyway. Good job.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I'm in!
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Me too.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I saw a very good program about the Capozzi case. He was a mentally retarded young man, and I think that played into his being a suspect.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Lets keep it going folks, this guy deserves our support.
    Everyone needs to vote each day until the votes close.

Lets show this fine gentleman that his brothers, and sisters are backing him 100%
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,” Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    12 days left folks, get your votes in!

Kudos to you Detective Dennis Delano!!!! We got your back brother!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,” Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    I'm in, great cop! sometimes you have to do the wrong thing to do the right thing
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    I voted. We make tough decisions everyday, and I believe this detective stands behind what he has done.

I would have voted for him anyway since his last name is my first name!
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information